Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
What are you talking about? LA fans are underrated if anything. We support all of our teams well. The Dodgers have left a lot to be desired since 1988 yet the Dodgers are always top 5 in attendance and are #1 this season, even when they were 12 under. The Clippers, with how bad they have always been above most other teams in attendance as well, even in the crappy sports arena. Damn, you're as negative as they come.

There are other markets that are much worse: all of Florida, San Diego, St.Louis, Arizona to name a few. Now those are terrible sports markets.

Yeah sure, the Dodgers have great fans..that's why they show up in the 4th inning and leave by the 7th..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yeah sure, the Dodgers have great fans..that's why they show up in the 4th inning and leave by the 7th..
Some do, but not all do. Sure is a lot better than the empty stadiums in Miami, Denver, Arizona, Tampa, Cleveland, Oakland, Houston, New York (Mets), Atlanta, Seattle, just to name a few. At least people actually show up, whereas in the above ballparks, barely anyone shows up at all.

The Dodgers are even smoking the Yankees in attendance. If Dodger fans are the worst, yet leading the league in attendance, what does that make the rest of the league?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 PM

Now after I just put the L.A. haters in their place.

Let's move on.

Best LA announcer? Chick Hearn or Vin Scully?

Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Some do, but not all do. Sure is a lot better than the empty stadiums in Miami, Denver, Arizona, Tampa, Cleveland, Oakland, Houston, New York (Mets), Atlanta, Seattle, just to name a few. At least people actually show up, whereas in the above ballparks, barely anyone shows up at all.

The Dodgers are even smoking the Yankees in attendance. If Dodger fans are the worst, yet leading the league in attendance, what does that make the rest of the league?
And how many of those "fans" are gang members like the ones who beat Bryan Stow? For the last few years the bleachers have been full of them.

Comparing Dodgers attendance with clubs such as Miami and Houston is rather pathetic. Do you compare records with losers too, to judge whether or not the Dodgers are doing well? Lets look at some teams with decent track records and the percentage of seats filled..

1. SF -99.4%

2. St. Louis-95.9%

3. Boston-93.6%

7. LA-81.1%

2013 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Sure, I realize Dodger Stadium is a large park, but LA is second only to the NY area in terms of market size. I wouldn't be bragging about a large market team's attendance when only 80% of the seats are sold.

Btw, the Dodgers were 5th in attendance last year, filling only some 73% of their seats..meaning any claim there's no bandwagon effect going on is not supported by the facts..

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
And how many of those "fans" are gang members like the ones who beat Bryan Stow? For the last few years the bleachers have been full of them.

Comparing Dodgers attendance with clubs such as Miami and Houston is rather pathetic. Do you compare records with losers too, to judge whether or not the Dodgers are doing well? Lets look at some teams with decent track records and the percentage of seats filled..

1. SF -99.4%

2. St. Louis-95.9%

3. Boston-93.6%

7. LA-81.1%

Sure, I realize Dodger Stadium is a large park, but LA is second only to the NY area in terms of market size. I wouldn't be bragging about a large market team's attendance when only 80% of the seats are sold.

Btw, the Dodgers were 5th in attendance last year, filling only some 73% of their seats..meaning any claim there's no bandwagon effect going on is not supported by the facts..
The Twins' attendance figures are a lot more impressive than most. They're 57-70 playing in one of the smaller markets, but still are 9th in total attendance. That's pretty good fan support for mediocrity.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:

1. SF -99.4%

2. St. Louis-95.9%

3. Boston-93.6%

7. LA-81.1%

Please, fans like those that are violent make up a very small percentage. I go to many games and never feel threatened.

Those teams have a higher percentage because they have a much smaller ballpark and the Dodgers are still supassing each of their competitors capacity with raw attendance. It doesn't matter what the percentage is, the Dodgers are still putting more butts in the seats than any other team, including both New York teams, Boston, both Chicago teams, St.Louis, the bay area teams, etc, and the fact that those teams aren't at 100% tells me thats as high as they can get. If the Dodgers played in a ballpark the size of the next highest team, they'd be at 100%.

I have MLB network, and the amount of empty seats, even with their smaller ballparks for other teams is pathetic. The Dodgers continue to outclass everyone.

The Dodgers drew 50,240 to last night's game, while not a sellout at Dodger Stadium, that would be overkill at every single other ballpark

Last edited by The Illusive Man; 08-24-2013 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
They do that to avoid being shot or beaten to death in the stadium parking lot.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
They do that to avoid being shot or beaten to death in the stadium parking lot.

That was an anomaly.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
That was an anomaly.
Seriously, these people are morons. I have never ever felt threatened at Dodger Stadium. I've been to games since I was kid. These folks were clearly sheltered and they never leave their parent's basements.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
That was an anomaly.
I was kidding. Still, I would not wear another teams jersey to a Dodgers game. You may be fine if you blend in with the crowd, but that is one stadium were I would never go out of my way to stand out, and that is part of the problem. Though I don't think it is as bad as the Coliseum at Raiders games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball