Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 AM

69 posts, read 119,305 times

Advertisements

I never understood why Phillies fans hate my Mets. Why the Mets? Why chose my Mets? Why not the Braves or Yankees or any other team? Is it because they have an inferiority complex to New York? It's like bullying at this point.

Now, the Braves are a much better team than the Mets in the division by any statistical or objective measure and spent more time in first than the Phillies last season. (This is saying much from a Mets fan.) But Phillies fans loathe the Mets. I don't really hate the Phillies so much but I really dislike it when fans of other teams - say, Yankee fans - denigrate my team. I take great pride in my team and the players.

Pagan makes an incredible catch, turns two - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

What did we fans do to deserve this? What the hell did we do to deserve this? The payroll is good and many players are quite good. It's not fair with the current state of the Mets, especially because everything was caused by Omar's failures. I really blame Omar. My team isn't cursed, just poorly led, managed and owned. With the current Phillies team against my Mets, it's like watching Germany pick on Poland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 AM

192 posts, read 436,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
I never understood why Phillies fans hate my Mets. Why the Mets? Why chose my Mets? Why not the Braves or Yankees or any other team? Is it because they have an inferiority complex to New York? It's like bullying at this point.
I can only speak for myself, but it is mostly a case of familiarity breeding contempt. Both teams are in the same division, NYC is just up the road from Philly, both fan bases passionate/obnoxious about their teams. Maybe not the case so much the past few years of Phillie success/Met failure, but Phils-Mets games in Philly were/are always very well attended by Mets fans, of which quite a few were vocal/obnoxious/drunk, which is never appreciated by any home crowd (let alone a Philly crowd with an undoubtedly similar proportion of vocal/obnoxious/drunk fans).

This combination of location, division placement, and fan vigor makes the Mets the Phillies fan's natural enemy, and has little to do with the success of each team. Yankees? Not even in the NL. Even with the recent World Series loss, the teams play so infrequently that it's hard to muster up any strong feelings either way. Braves? Same division with a long history of success against the Phils, but geographically distant and no rabid fan base - not too many of them make it to Philly for the games. Marlins are in the division and were a thorn in the Phils side for the early part of last decade, but I've never met a single Marlins fan. Nationals - Jayson Werth notwithstanding, but - bah.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
I never understood why Phillies fans hate my Mets. Why the Mets?
As the son of a lifelong Brooklyn Dodger fan (and therefore, as a lifelong Mets fan myself), let me attempt to answer that question...

It's out of worry...if not actually fear. There's no team in the division they'd less like to see attain success than the Mets. And that's because everyone's nightmare around the United States is a New York team contending for the Series.

Did you know that the 2000 World Series (which was, of course, a Subway Series featuring the Mets and Yankees) was the lowest rated one in the history of television? Nobody wants to see New York in the Series. Except New Yorkers, that is.

I have more than my share of Yankee fans to deal with at work. (Yankee fans being next on the obnoxious list). And whenever any of them makes one of their inevitable comments about the Amazin's, this is what I say to them in response: you better be right, because if you're not, you're going to have one hell of a miserable winter. And I'll be right here to guarantee that!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
I see that we're talking about the Mets, cool. I want to try to make it up there for the August series. How would this look:

I'm only getting one fitted but I can't decide. I need some help deciding:

http://www.newerahatssale.org/bmz_cache/0/0a1b65d9c3074a33cb4079bb518d9e83.image.300x225.jpg (broken link)

or

Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
David, that was so hilarious you can hardly believe it.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
It's because mets fans are obnoxious and winning only enables their behavior .... it's the reason why pretty much everyone hates the mets

they field unlikeable teams backed by unbearable fans

Old 04-13-2011, 04:36 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
FredX, I'm for real, an amigo (& his girl), his brother, and myself are going to a series up there. I want to go in August. Anyway, I'll wear the colors out of respect but the logo's staying the same.

Fingerlaker, Mets fans can't really say anything when it comes to my squad (nobody in the NL East to be honest). The NL East is our division after all, Philly is just keeping the seat warm. You're a Marlins fan right? What are they expecting out of the Fish down in Miami for this season?

To the Philly fan: Even though I feel that most of you guys are pretenders, it's just a game and I'd hate to hear about folks getting beat into commas and encountering combative situations. do you think that this will help:

see the comparison

I saw that Dodger heritage fitted but there's no way that I'd put that up. That should be a decent compromise.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
You're a Marlins fan right? What are they expecting out of the Fish down in Miami for this season?
Correct - I think they'll be around .500 - however, just way to many variables to predict much more than that

the bullpen is rebuilt and looks decent (unlike last year when it was horrible) .... they have some good young players up, many playing at unnatural positions (although looking fairly good on defense with players like coghlan and morrison) ..... can gaby continue to be steady at the plate, can morrison stay patient and keep his approach, can coghlan regain it .... can stanton stay healthy and know 40 over the fence

very thin team and not much that is ML ready to come in and provide a boost ..... i really think they are evaluating and gearing up for the new stadium in 2012 while still trying to be competative this year

I'll be keeping an eye on atlanta as well with uggla and the fredi-show going on

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 AM

69 posts, read 119,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's because mets fans are obnoxious and winning only enables their behavior .... it's the reason why pretty much everyone hates the mets

they field unlikeable teams backed by unbearable fans
I'm a nice guy.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Being a WhiteSox fan I've always felt a slight relation to Mets fans being the city's perceieved second team. They don't have a ton of hardware in their trophy case and have to deal with the other teams fans harrassment - that by default makes them A-OK in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball