Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 AM

623 posts, read 1,543,231 times

Advertisements

LOL at the the heat and humidity in the northeast being equal to or comparable to that of the southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I almost don't want to reply to such an ignorant statement but why not. You do know the Rays don't play in Tampa right?
So you'd rather reply and flame away. OK, sounds good.
Yeah, genius, they play in St. Pete, and you could get there from Tampa with little to no trouble if you really wanted to go and support your team.

Quote:
They play in a horrible stadium in St Pete. About an hour drive from my house.
OH NO! Not a WHOLE HOUR! An HOUR! No wonder you don't go. And you go to see your winning team, not to see the stadium.

Quote:
I would rather record the game and watch it on TV so I can fast forward through all the boring crap, and turn a 2-3 hour game to a 1 hour one.
And there it is... So you wouldn't go if the stadium was shiny and new and in your own backyard. Like a lot of people in your area you just don't support your team. One day they'll thank you for that by leaving, and then you'll be on this same forum complaining about that.

Everything else you posted beyond that is a waste of time. You live in the same market as a major league baseball team that won a pennant two years ago and could win one this year too. You don't make the hour drive to support them. And you don't have to either, but like I said before, don't come here to complain when they're gone.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
LOL at the the heat and humidity in the northeast being equal to or comparable to that of the southeast.
In the summer months it's not that far from the truth. It's also going to feel different to people who don't live with heat and humidity all year long.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,752,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
So you'd rather reply and flame away. OK, sounds good.
Yeah, genius, they play in St. Pete, and you could get there from Tampa with little to no trouble if you really wanted to go and support your team.

OH NO! Not a WHOLE HOUR! An HOUR! No wonder you don't go. And you go to see your winning team, not to see the stadium.

And there it is... So you wouldn't go if the stadium was shiny and new and in your own backyard. Like a lot of people in your area you just don't support your team. One day they'll thank you for that by leaving, and then you'll be on this same forum complaining about that.

Everything else you posted beyond that is a waste of time. You live in the same market as a major league baseball team that won a pennant two years ago and could win one this year too. You don't make the hour drive to support them. And you don't have to either, but like I said before, don't come here to complain when they're gone.
This post just shows how assuming can make an ASS out of someone. What makes you think you can come here and tell me how to support my team when you don't know me or my situation. An hour drive is pretty far when my family has one car that is beginning to age and have mechanical problems. So yes, watching it on TV is a lot easier for me, but if they were closer, I could make it to more than two or three games of the year.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
In the summer months it's not that far from the truth. It's also going to feel different to people who don't live with heat and humidity all year long.
Yes it is ..... it's very far from the truth

I also wouldn't say that NE cities tend to support teams that are losing - thick and thin types .... they really don't

they do generally show up when the team is winning - unless it's a team like the Devils

A lot of this should be expected to a degree with century old large population bases

Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
This post just shows how assuming can make an ASS out of someone. What makes you think you can come here and tell me how to support my team when you don't know me or my situation. An hour drive is pretty far when my family has one car that is beginning to age and have mechanical problems. So yes, watching it on TV is a lot easier for me, but if they were closer, I could make it to more than two or three games of the year.
Listen pal, I'll be completely honest with you.

If your family has one car that's beginning to age, and if it has mechanical problems that make the drive difficult to the point that you're not going to a game anyway, MLB doesn't give a damn about you.

That's not MY opinion of you, it's just where you (like a lot of other fans) land on baseball's list of concerns. Before you fire back, please take note of the part once again where I said it's not my opinion of you, but also never forget that MLB and any team in the league doesn't care about our problems. We're either making them richer or we're not. And if enough people where you live are not, eventually your team will leave. It's not hard to imagine the Rays leaving the area one day, possibly one day soon.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Yes it is ..... it's very far from the truth
How? It's 90 degrees in NYC today, and that's BY FAR one of the cooler days we've had in the last six weeks. Our summers are just as hot as anyone's this time of year. Add to that we have a lot of people here who don't live in that kind of climate all year, and people feel it here just as bad if not worse than other places.

Anyway, this isn't a weather forum. But the point is our summers, and this summer to be sure, can be quite brutal.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:36 PM

No they're not

I grew up in the NE and have lived all across the country

The NE is mild in comparison .... this year is unseasonably hot in a lot of areas

Heck, I was married in minneapolis and it was in the high 90s with over 90% humidity - so I guess that makes as hot as houston

day time highs aren't close to aligning and this drops even more when you get into the night time hours when most games are going on

to make the argument that places like philly, boston & NYC are as hot in the summer as places like Atl, Miami & Houston is silly

Also, for places like the florida cities you also need to see exactly how much rain they get to fully appreciate the constant high humidity and dew points that are present

Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
to make the argument that places like philly, boston & NYC are as hot in the summer as places like Atl, Miami & Houston is silly
Again, this isn't a weather forum, so we'll just say you're wrong and leave it at that. Forget about Minneapolis. Walk around my city for a couple of days and then tell me how silly it is. Bring lots of fluids.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 PM

It's completely silly

I've been to NYC many times in the summer .... I lived in philadelphia and grew up in upstate NY

It's really not even close

The NE cities have hot spells ..... in the south you take that hot spell and make it a 3-4 month event, not 3-4 weeks out of the year

Take a look courtesy the Weather Underground

NYC

Miami

So for the course of baseball season in NYC you have average high temps from about 56 degrees to 70 degrees - compared to about 83 to 88 in miami

there is about a solid 2 1/2 month span in miami where there average daily high tops 90 - this corresponds with a period where you get between .18 - .3 inches of rain per day so you know the humidity is there as well

In NYC you have about a month where the average daily high is around 85 .... it's fine though because the average daily low for that period is around 70 (compared to around 78 in miami)

and while NYC does get some rain and has some humidity - their highest averages are below the lowest average in miami

you don't need to be a weatherman or post in a weather forum to know that it's hotter in Florida than it is in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball