Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There should be four discrete divisions, 8 teams each. All games are played against the 7 other teams in your division, period. Team that wins the most games in each division goes to 4-team playoffs
Wow that sounds...horrible. I guess the NFL should still have players in leather helmets and the NBA should get rid of that darn modern 3 point line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Quote:
Without the moronic idea of interleague play...
That's certainly another myth worthy of debate. I can see interleague games that feature legitimate rivalries--Mets/Yankees, Cubs/White Sox, Giants/A's, Dodgers/Angels, Reds/Indians, Cardinals/Royals, Marlins/Rays, Astros/Rangers. Maybe even Nationals/Orioles. But the rest of 'em...fuhgeddaboudit! When the Mets were scheduled to play a series against the Twins, honestly, I don't think anyone in either city could've cared less.

You keep thinking that there has to come a time when common sense gets put ahead of television and marketing...and you are continually disappointed!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Wow that sounds...horrible. I guess the NFL should still have players in leather helmets and the NBA should get rid of that darn modern 3 point line.
Yes, and the NHL should get rid of their structure,, where they spend a 5-month season eliminating five teams, and then start over again. It's your view that doubling the number of teams in the playoffs (from 4 to 8) is so great, look how much better it would be with 16, or 24 teams making the playoffs. On October first, send Washington and Kansas City home, and start over again with everybody at 0-0.

The modern structure of the major league sports has been designed by gee-whiz children who have no concept of how good it ever was before. Each glitz change makes it worse, and nobody can think of a way to fix it except by adding more and more glitz.

The three-point play was stupidly inserted without making any compensatory rule changes, which made basketball worse, and not better.

What has the relative safety of modern football helmets have to do with anything? If you want to argue my point, then argue it, instead of making remarks about helmet design.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Without the moronic idea of interleague play, you would not need wildcards. There should be four discrete divisions, 8 teams each. All games are played against the 7 other teams in your division, period. Team that wins the most games in each division goes to 4-team playoffs. That's the way it was up through the 60's, but with only two leagues. The game lacked nothing then, despite the absence of interleague play and wildcards.
I disagree with you here. I think the new alignment with wildcards provides additional avenues to make it to the post season, and can generate more excitment. Teams that would otherwise be done in July might still have an avenue for post-season play, and with the extra division in each league you have more realistic geographic alignment and greater chances to win the division.

As for interleague play, I'm not a huge fan, but it does give fans the opportunity to see teams they've not seen or don't see often. Interleague play gave me the opportunity to see the Red Sox here in Atlanta and get better seats than I could have ever scored at Fenway. One of the problems with interleague play is the use or non-use of the DH. I think that tends to give the NL teams an advantage and may even mess up the rotation as teams try to setup better hitting pitchers to play certain interleague games.

In my opinion, anything that makes the play more exciting and draws in more fans is a net positive. Why not have interleague play? Why not expand the number of teams in the post-season? Don't do things "the way they've always been done" just because that's how they've always been done.

Quote:
Changes in baseball never benefit baseball or the integrity of the game---they only benefit the TV networks.
Agree with you here to some degree. TV networks and revenue have really corrupted the scheduling of games and especially the post-season games.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:31 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,920 times
Quote:
Yes, and the NHL should get rid of their structure,, where they spend a 5-month season eliminating five teams, and then start over again. It's your view that doubling the number of teams in the playoffs (from 4 to 8) is so great, look how much better it would be with 16, or 24 teams making the playoffs. On October first, send Washington and Kansas City home, and start over again with everybody at 0-0.

The modern structure of the major league sports has been designed by gee-whiz children who have no concept of how good it ever was before. Each glitz change makes it worse, and nobody can think of a way to fix it except by adding more and more glitz.

The three-point play was stupidly inserted without making any compensatory rule changes, which made basketball worse, and not better.

What has the relative safety of modern football helmets have to do with anything? If you want to argue my point, then argue it, instead of making remarks about helmet design.
when did I say anything even close to doubling the # of playoff teams?

regarding the helmets, I was just pointing out you sound like an old man talking about your day. I have little patience for things like this. If it so bad, don't watch, seems pretty easy to me.

Sports evolve and change, just like anything else. My Grandma thinks the world was better off without cell phones, but she doesn't show up at the AT&T store yelling at everyone to not buy phones.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Whether the Yankees ever play the Mets is of absolutely no interest to anybody except the TV networks
Yeah, nobody cares except millions of fans who live within the NYC metro and surrounding areas. There are probably more fans attending and watching these games on TV than many other markets combined.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yeah, nobody cares except millions of fans who live within the NYC metro and surrounding areas. There are probably more fans attending and watching these games on TV than many other markets combined.
As far as ratings go, they're right. Much of the country doesn't care about Yankees-Mets.

Here are some World Series ratings that surrounded the era of the last October Subway Series.

1999 - Yankees vs. Braves - 23,731,000 viewers (16.0 rating / 26 share)
2000 - Yankees vs. Mets - 18,081,000 viewers (12.4 rating / 21 share)
2001 - Yankees vs. D-Backs - 24,528,000 viewers (15.7 rating / 25 share)

Nationally, the Subway Series was not a great success compared to the 1999 or 2001 World Series. A 21 share for anything is still a big deal, but MLB lost plenty of viewers for the 2000 series, and the numbers bounced back in 2001. Obviously this doesn't account for things that were going on outside of the game at the time... For example, maybe the numbers don't bounce back if the Yankees don't make the World Series after the attacks on 9/11.

But it's a fact that Yankees-Mets lost a lot of viewers. The 2000 World Series had the least amount of viewers between 1973 and 2004. It took a White Sox - Astros series in 2005 to bring in less viewers than 2000.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
As far as ratings go, they're right. Much of the country doesn't care about Yankees-Mets.
Not talking about the World Series of what other areas think of the Yanks or Mets. The discussion was about interleague play and whether anyone cared about the Yankees playing the Mets.

I stand by my statement that you will get a bigger crowd and viewing audience for a Yankees - Mets series then you will for just about any other interleague series. Maybe the LAA and LAD would draw as many, but baseball isn't as popular in Southern CA as it is in NYC and surrounding area. I'd be interested to see actual stats if someone has them.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,832 times
Quote:
Not talking about the World Series of what other areas think of the Yanks or Mets. The discussion was about interleague play and whether anyone cared about the Yankees playing the Mets.

I stand by my statement that you will get a bigger crowd and viewing audience for a Yankees - Mets series then you will for just about any other interleague series. Maybe the LAA and LAD would draw as many, but baseball isn't as popular in Southern CA as it is in NYC and surrounding area. I'd be interested to see actual stats if someone has them.
The point is, outside of New York, the Yankees-Mets World Series was of great interest to FOX, but not so much for the fans. jtur88 got that right.

Less people actually care about the series now in interleague play than ever before, and that includes within NYC.

Their games at Citi Field didn't even sell out this year. FOX and ESPN have to go to great lengths now to sell this series to the viewers as being as big of a deal as it used to be while it continues to lose steam.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Even in New York,the same number of people would watch the same number of games, even if the Yankees never played the Mets. Give or take a small increment, which is not worth destroying the integrity of the game by creating unequal schedules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
when did I say anything even close to doubling the # of playoff teams? .
I said I want 4 teams in the playoffs, you said that souinds horrible, you want eight. Let me recheck my arithmetic. Yup. That's double.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball