Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

The myth that the TV networks consider baseball to be one of the major sports. Remember Monday Nigh Baseball on ESPN? Well, ESPN considers Baseball to be just filler material when there is no real sports to cover, like NFL Preseason Exhibiton football games, which takes priority over the final month of the baseball pennant races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
which is not worth destroying the integrity of the game by creating unequal schedules.
How is the "integrity of the game" being destroyed by interleague play?

Quote:
I said I want 4 teams in the playoffs, you said that souinds horrible, you want eight. Let me recheck my arithmetic. Yup. That's double.
I think it was I who mentioned that I saw nothing wrong and many things right with doubling the number of playoff slots. I would probably add another wildcard per league.

What is the problem with it? You seem like you're just a purist who rejects change. If I have it wrong, please correct me, but that's what it seems like based on your disdain for any of the recent change in baseball.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
I said I want 4 teams in the playoffs, you said that souinds horrible, you want eight. Let me recheck my arithmetic. Yup. That's double.
I challenge you to quote where I said that. I said your idea to revert to big divisions (your example) with 8 teams was bad. Even if I did say, which I didn't, that I wanted more playoff teams, you could bump it up to 6, it does not have to be 8.

Recheck your arithmetic again. Yup, as usual you're off.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
How is the "integrity of the game" being destroyed by interleague play?

Final standings have legitimacy only if all tams have played the same opponents the same number of times. Baseball is a competitive sport, whose integrity depends on a method of fairly determining the winner.

The Mets always have to play the Yankees and the Cardinals always have to play the Royals. So how, by looking at their WL at the end of the season, do we evaluate which has emerged as the "winner"?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Final standings have legitimacy only if all tams have played the same opponents the same number of times. Baseball is a competitive sport, whose integrity depends on a method of fairly determining the winner.

The Mets always have to play the Yankees and the Cardinals always have to play the Royals. So how, by looking at their WL at the end of the season, do we evaluate which has emerged as the "winner"?
I have no idea, seriously...no idea what you're talking about. So you're saying that unless every team plays the same teams the same number of times, that results are invalid? When has that type of schedule ever existed?

So are NFL results invalid? They play different teams and have different schedules every year outside of their own division....just like MLB.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:03 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
That the Phillies were a fluke
That the Mets, healthy or not, are better than the Phillies

Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 PM

People grossly underestimate the amount of luck in baseball.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
That the Phillies were a fluke
That the Mets, healthy or not, are better than the Phillies
who says this? that is so lol bad

Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
People grossly underestimate the amount of luck in baseball.
I'd thought about this, but I wasn't going to make such a posting because it occurred to me that there's a hefty amount of luck in any sport. So it didn't seem especially applicable to just baseball.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
who says this? that is so lol bad
Mostly just Mets fans on some of the baseball sites I'm a poster on. It's quite hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball