Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times

Advertisements

lin
jr smith
melo
amare
chandler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Cherry picking. Not saying he is a good defender but seriously....where were you when Nash was racking up MVP's?
How many games has he played? 9 and these career high by these point guards are in 4 of them.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
How many games has he played? 9 and these career high by these point guards are in 4 of them.
I meant to say near career highs

Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Going to need more sample size and also....I think we can both agree that defense is a team-oriented phenomenon.

I'm not going to knee-jerk defend lin, he clearly needs to improve but he's at least as good as Nash was (just talking defense) back when he was winning MVP's but no one talked about it much then.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
I have to keep it 100. I don't think Lin is really all that good. That's not the same as saying he shouldn't be in the League; I just don't think he's all that talented.

First, he's obviously a turnover machine. It's not just the quantity of his turnovers, but also the quality. He gets pick-pocketed often. Guys are always poking the ball away from him. He gets tied up going to the hole. He drives into traffic and looks out of control. He throws predictable passes where the defender shoots the gap and breaks away for an easy score. A lot of his passes get batted. I understand that he's a young PG, but sometimes I get the sense that the game may be too fast for him.

Second, he's not all that athletic. His dribbling style is not very fluid at all. He's not good at splitting traps and double teams. There were times in the Dallas game where he would face a trap and almost commit a backcourt violation (he had run that far away from the trap). And then he throws passes while falling backwards and moving away from the recipient. He often looks out of control when dribbling especially in transition.

Just my observations thus far.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I have to keep it 100. I don't think Lin is really all that good. That's not the same as saying he shouldn't be in the League; I just don't think he's all that talented.

First, he's obviously a turnover machine. It's not just the quantity of his turnovers, but also the quality. He gets pick-pocketed often. Guys are always poking the ball away from him. He gets tied up going to the hole. He drives into traffic and looks out of control. He throws predictable passes where the defender shoots the gap and breaks away for an easy score. A lot of his passes get batted. I understand that he's a young PG, but sometimes I get the sense that the game may be too fast for him.

Second, he's not all that athletic. His dribbling style is not very fluid at all. He's not good at splitting traps and double teams. There were times in the Dallas game where he would face a trap and almost commit a backcourt violation (he had run that far away from the trap). And then he throws passes while falling backwards and moving away from the recipient. He often looks out of control when dribbling especially in transition.

The next five games after the All Star Break will decide his career in the NBA

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
i didnt watch the rising stars but from reading it seems lin was the worst player on the court and i read he looked completely worn out. that IMO shows just how bad a coach dantoni really is. there is no reason that your starting pg should be so completely worn out that he cant get up for an exhibition game after he has played less then 20 games. would pop or phil, or doc, or either van gundy or mcfail or adelman or xxxxxxx ride their horse so hard and so long that he dies of exhaustion? good coaches dont do that, they just dont.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i didnt watch the rising stars but from reading it seems lin was the worst player on the court and i read he looked completely worn out. that IMO shows just how bad a coach dantoni really is. there is no reason that your starting pg should be so completely worn out that he cant get up for an exhibition game after he has played less then 20 games. would pop or phil, or doc, or either van gundy or mcfail or adelman or xxxxxxx ride their horse so hard and so long that he dies of exhaustion? good coaches dont do that, they just dont.
To me he looked like he didn't want to be there because he wasn't well accepted by his teammates

Old 02-27-2012, 03:40 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Sure there are times when he looks clumsy. But doesnt his stats show he's good and talented? I mean how do you explain those stats if he's not good and talented?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Sure there are times when he looks clumsy. But doesnt his stats show he's good and talented? I mean how do you explain those stats if he's not good and talented?
It has to continue, he has not arrived yet and only had a good 2 weeks. If he has a BAD month of March he maybe done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball