Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against the three pointer. A previous poster suggested moving it out, which I agree with. The thing I get irritated with is the jump step. When I played it was called a travel, dammit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sorry dude but this is a ridiculous argument. You don't like the idea that a guy can get an extra point based on a shot that is more difficult to make? How about all those years when Shaq dunked on 95% of his shots? Maybe the dunks should be outlawed. How much talent does it really take for a 7 footer to place a ball in a net and then it affects his stats in a positive way because they count it towards his FG percentage?
You may be too young to remember but at one time in the 1960's and 1970's there was NO DUNKING ALLOWED in collegiate basketball.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It does take more skill to hit a three... But more people in the world can hit 3's than can dunk a basketball.

Which is part of the public's fascination with the move. People are more amazed by things they cannot do themselves.
It takes more athletic ability to dunk a basketball.

Another thing about dunking, if you dunk OVER a guy, you've just physically dominated him. That sends a message to your teammates and the opposition.

Plus let's face it there is an entertainment factor here. Dunking makes for great fan excitement and highlight clips.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Another thing about dunking, if you dunk OVER a guy, you've just physically dominated him. That sends a message to your teammates and the opposition.

Plus let's face it there is an entertainment factor here. Dunking makes for great fan excitement and highlight clips.

I'm not sure what your point is here compared to mine... Care to explain?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
And this does nothing to refute what he was saying, King Anecdotal
Because he said more people can hit a three than dunk a basketball and I disagree. Anyone playing basketball on at least the college level can dunk a basketball but a good chunk of them cannot hit threes at a decent percentage and some hardly ever.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
No, it takes height and the ability to jump a bit to dunk a basketball. It takes skill to hit a three and even more skill to hit threes at even an average percentage.

Quote:
Which is ridiculous. A three should create far more excitement as it is more points and takes more skill.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how much athleticism is required for a player a few inches shorter than the basket to reach up and/or hop up and slam the ball through the net. Besides typically players who excel at such a "feat" lack in basics like free throw shooting which can actually win games versus just making highlight reels.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not sure how much athleticism is required for a player a few inches shorter than the basket to reach up and/or hop up and slam the ball through the net. Besides typically players who excel at such a "feat" lack in basics like free throw shooting which can actually win games versus just making highlight reels.
Exactly. I have seen a ton of very unathletic people dunk basketballs over the years including people who can barely dribble the basketball without hitting their own feet.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Because he said more people can hit a three than dunk a basketball and I disagree. Anyone playing basketball on at least the college level can dunk a basketball but a good chunk of them cannot hit threes at a decent percentage and some hardly ever.

These statements are not true and prove even further everything I said... but I will just stick to the crux of the matter for now.

I said more "people" in the world... not just "basketball players" could hit three's than could dunk a basketball. I never mentioned percentage or accuracy.

There are ONLY 12-15 players to a team... they do not make up the majority of "people" in the world.

So again... more "people" in the world can hit a three than can dunk a basketball as most "people" are not tall enough or athletic enough.

Thanks for proving my point even further... much appreciated.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

These statements are not true and prove even further everything I said... but I will just stick to the crux of the matter for now.

I said more "people" in the world... not just "basketball players" could hit three's than could dunk a basketball. I never mentioned percentage or accuracy.

There are ONLY 12-15 players to a team... they do not make up the majority of "people" in the world.

So again... more "people" in the world can hit a three than can dunk a basketball as most "people" are not tall enough or athletic enough.

Thanks for proving my point even further... much appreciated.
If you are referring more "people" then your point isnt valid to being with. Most "people" in the world cant do a lot of things, especially things that take athleticism. This is a discussion about basketball and abolishing the three point shot which applies to the game of basketball and the players within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball