Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I suspect Oklahoma City people would love to support a pro basketball team in town that it can actually call its own this time. Busineses near the Ford Center miss the customers from the sell out or near sell out crowds that the Hornets once brought in. Oklahoma City lacks a practice facillity for the Sonics, so that little problem will have to be worked out. It will be intertesting if the Sonics will continue to keep their name since Oklahoma City isn't as aircraft oriented as Seattle.
they won't keep the name, bennett and co. already told seattle they could keep the nickname for a future franchise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,547 times
it's a done deal. the sonics ARE going to end up in okc. it was a done deal in the summer of 06 when bennett and co. bought the team. it came out in the news that one of the minority owners said that it was the plan all along by the bennett group to move the team. everything that was said early on by the new owners was a facade.

i have mixed feelings on it. on the one hand i think okc deserves an nba team. they've proved they'll support one and even if the team makes less money because it's a smaller market, bennett doesn't care. HE'S AN OKLAHOMAN and he just wants a team there. on the other hand, it's a 40 year franchise and i was there that night in downtown seattle in june of 79' [ drunk and underage i might ad] when they won it all. i think it may be the only time in seattle history when a bunch of party animals gathered downtown without starting a riot. it was one hell of a good time.

either way, despite what stern says seattle's too big of a market and there are too many nba franchises in trouble for the area to be without a team for too long. i just hate to see seattle end up with somebody else's baggage

Old 11-22-2007, 07:28 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,760,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
they won't keep the name, bennett and co. already told seattle they could keep the nickname for a future franchise
What source does this come from? A name change is expected and could be part of the negotiations to leave seattle, but it hasnt been announced officially. Some articles have talked about.....

NewsOK: Sonics' nickname might stay in Seattle

If you can find any articles please post. thanks.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,891 times
Bill Simmons wrote a preview on the west, and I think was correct in stating that if the Sonics had went for Yi instead of Jeff Green, they'd have a better chance of staying in the Pacific Northwest. Yi would want to play in Seattle because of its Asian population, it's a big city, and you could pair Durant and Yi together as the odd couple, or something like that. That, and the fact Yi's been the best rookie this year so far, but I guess the owner passed on him for a reason.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,760,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
Bill Simmons wrote a preview on the west, and I think was correct in stating that if the Sonics had went for Yi instead of Jeff Green, they'd have a better chance of staying in the Pacific Northwest. Yi would want to play in Seattle because of its Asian population, it's a big city, and you could pair Durant and Yi together as the odd couple, or something like that. That, and the fact Yi's been the best rookie this year so far, but I guess the owner passed on him for a reason.
Very interesting. I have heard this conspiracy theory before about the owners desire for the team to play bad to decrease attendance ect. Ummm...BS.
OKC actually has a significant asian population especially when competing with the West coast! It was called Little Saigon. It is now considered the Asian district. Most people are usually surprized that OKC has a little bit of asian culture. (or any culture atall for tat matter)

Notice that OKC has a high asian population considering it is in the middle of no where. (asian pop has significantly grown since 2001).
Seattle History: The Seattle Times

National Geographic article..
ZipUSA: 73106 @ National Geographic Magazine

"Today Oklahoma City is considered by many to be an Asian oasis in the South-Central U.S., as there are multitudes of authentic restaurants, nightclubs, shops, asian supermarkets and grocery stores concentrated in the area; traditional Hong Kong dim sum and Taiwanese Bubble Tea are no longer hard to find as they predominate Asia District and metro area."

Look over V
Asia District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Artifacts were discovered when excavation occurred for the Myriad Convention Center in 1969. Chinatown consisted of a tunnel system underneath buildings and streets centered in the vicinity of Main and Sheridan Streets, Broadway and Robinson Avenues, but the extent of which is unknown and likely lost forever."
NewsOK: Unlocking the secrets of Oklahoma City's mysterious city

Yi would have fit in more than Yi think. He would have been fed quite well....We have asian supermarkets that look like they came from san diego.
Super Cao Nguyen, Oklahoma City

He wasnt just passed up for 'some' reason.....

Last edited by happytown; 11-22-2007 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
...... Well, it's official......

Tickets for OKC 2008-09 Season

But they're keeping the team colors and nickname in Seattle, meaning that the Sonics will return...... someday. But until then, say hello to the Oklahoma ?????'s.

Great, now Fort Worth has almost NO chance of getting a team.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:43 AM

78,483 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Cool. I'm betting the franchise will work out just fine there.

I'm also happy with this so that I get to stop hearing the OKC and Seatlle fans bash each other while crying that the other guy started it. Sorry to say but the OKC crowd seemed to be the most vindictive if you didn't agree with them that the relocation would happen. Turns out they were right but the nastiness exhibited is not the normal class and kindness I've experienced from OKC people.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:05 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm also happy with this so that I get to stop hearing the OKC and Seatlle fans bash each other while crying that the other guy started it. Sorry to say but the OKC crowd seemed to be the most vindictive if you didn't agree with them that the relocation would happen. Turns out they were right but the nastiness exhibited is not the normal class and kindness I've experienced from OKC people.
Trust me, this wont end. If and when Seattle gets the Sonics back, they and the Oklahoma City team will be instant rivals, just like the Ravens and Browns.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 PM

78,483 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Trust me, this wont end. If and when Seattle gets the Sonics back, they and the Oklahoma City team will be instant rivals, just like the Ravens and Browns.
Fair enough, but given the current state of affairs it might take decades before Seattle gets another franchise. There is also a big geographical separation. Also, I just don't view the Seattle area as being that passionate about basketball and since OKC got what they wanted they have nothing to be bitter about.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,601,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Fair enough, but given the current state of affairs it might take decades before Seattle gets another franchise. There is also a big geographical separation. Also, I just don't view the Seattle area as being that passionate about basketball and since OKC got what they wanted they have nothing to be bitter about.
You are wrong about that. The Seattle area supported the Sonics for 41 years through thick and thin. Yes attendance was down, but thats because the team has sucked for the better part of a decade, and we were dealing with a carpetbagging owner who's intentions to move the team were known since the day he bought them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball