Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:51 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Also, I think the complaint about the NFL's constant stoppages isn't really much of an argument in favor of the NBA anymore. These reviews by the NBA officials where they go to the TV and watch the replay are becoming excruciating (on TV, but not so much when I'm at the actual games). There are just way too many reviews right now.
The NBA is not even close to being as bad as the NBA in this regard. NBA games have actually gotten shorter since 2009.

inpredictable: NBA Games are not Getting Longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Back in the States, we have become so conditioned to televised football games being chopped up by long stretches of inaction that we hardly notice how badly a game can c-r-a-w-l.

Sixty minutes of real time on the pro and college clocks, a minimum of three hours of game time in the NFL, and more like four hours (and up) in college football.

The ratio of action to inaction … is actually quite low. Astonishingly low. And anyone who hasn’t grown up with it … is going to find it really quite dull.

College football is worse when it comes to rules-based clock-stopping — all those frozen-in-time move-the-chains stoppages that come with every first down.

But the NFL is far, far worse for overall breaks in action.

There is the commercial imperative, of course. The most powerful of all. It mandates long breaks in games to bombard viewers with advertising. And we just sit there and take it and hardly notice and rarely complain.
Football Is Too Slow for the Rest of the World

Old 06-13-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Have you ever heard the stories about how the NFL is semi-popular in, say, England … and then we send a game over there, and everyone in the stands is stunned at how slowly it all unfolds? That’s because the NFL makes entry into overseas markets with highlights packages. And if you boil out the 90 percent of “nothing going on” that makes up an NFL game, and string together the great plays — you can have a heck of an entertaining package.

Then the Europeans, weaned on soccer and rugby, see an American football game in real time … and they begin to nod off.
Quote:
"It's not making any inroads with us," McGrath added. "It's a TV game, isn't it? To watch a whole match with so many intervals really isn't worth it."
American Football Too Slow | U.S. football is too slow, too nice for Irish tastes Fans raise their glass, but not to toast the game - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

Quote:
''It was really exciting in parts, but there were too many stops in the action -- it was too long between things happening,'' young Oliver Hopes said after watching the Denver Broncos beat the San Diego Chargers, 20-17, when Jason Elam kicked a 30-yard field goal on the final play.
Quote:
''We're only here for the girls,'' said a group, waving to the 52 long-legged cheerleaders whose high-kicking routines and showgirl smiles won louder applause than some of the plays on the field.

Indeed, canned applause was frequently blasted across the stadium when the audience was slow to cheer.
PRO FOOTBALL - Australians Not Quick to Embrace Slow Pace of American Football - NYTimes.com

Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The NBA is not even close to being as bad as the NBA in this regard. NBA games have actually gotten shorter since 2009.

inpredictable: NBA Games are not Getting Longer
But the season is brutal.

I'm a huge Browns and Cavs fan. Actually love the Indians as well.

The Cavs have weeks where they play four games. I live on the West coast now so I frequently miss the 1st quarters of weekday games. In all I could conceivably spend 11-12 hours a week watching Cavs basketball. I can't do it with a career and family, but I try to. October to June lately!

Flip side I spend 3 hours and 15 mins watching the Browns once a week. I used to be a fantasy football guy but gave that up as I can't afford to watch 9 hours of football on Sunday. I have no problem with the intervals and breaks in the game as they are fairly predictable and I get things accomplished in between. Many folks my age I guess are multitaskers and they aren't tied to chair for 3 and half hours a day.

I can't imagine I'm the only guy in the situation I describe above with their NBA and NFL team

Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Why does it matter what Europeans and Aussies think of an American sport? For all the "continuous action" of soccer, I can't for the life of me get into it. It just looks like something I could see if I went to the nearest park, if I wanted to.

It all comes down to what you grew up with and how well you understand the intricacies of the sport.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
IMO there is a pecking order for American team sports based on the athletic ability of individual players to do multiple tasks.

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball

Old 06-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
IMO there is a pecking order for American team sports based on the athletic ability of individual players to do multiple tasks.

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball
If one of those multiple tasks includes sitting, then you are absolutely correct.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Quote:

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball
Baseball #1??? There are a handful of guys that look and move like professional athletes on any given roster. Football there are three positions lately only two Punter and Kicker that don't look and move like a professional athlete

Old 06-13-2016, 12:32 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If one of those multiple tasks includes sitting, then you are absolutely correct.
You mean like 1/2 the football team when the offence is taking their turn or the basketball players who only get to play to give the stars a chance to take a break.

When you have the skills to run fast but can't hit a ball you play football. Doesn't hurt to be 300+ lbs.

When you can't hit a baseball or catch a football but you are tall you play basketball. Doesn't hurt to be 7' + tall.

Every sport requires a certain amount of skills it's just that baseball requires more of them.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:40 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Quote:
You mean like 1/2 the football team when the offence is taking their turn or the basketball players who only get to play to give the stars a chance to take a break.

When you have the skills to run fast but can't hit a ball you play football. Doesn't hurt to be 300+ lbs.

When you can't hit a baseball or catch a football but you are tall you play basketball. Doesn't hurt to be 7' + tall.

Every sport requires a certain amount of skills it's just that baseball requires more of them.
Yep, size and foot speed are all you need to play football. And height is all you need for basketball.

You might want to do research on those sports. Btw, it's about 1:30 Central time on an obscure Monday afternoon, don't you have a baseball game to watch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball