Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 12:33 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say a team losing by 20 is some great spectacle. I said that a single blowout game in the NBA Finals is not comparable to a Super Bowl blowout. The OKC-GSW series had 3 blowouts and 3-4 tight, competitive games. The Super Bowl could be great or it could be a dud. Either way, you're waiting two weeks for one game to be played that might not even be good.

Anybody who whines and moans about this year's Finals should also whine about all of the non-competitive Super Bowls we've had over the years. And anybody who complains about NBA officiating should try explaining the GIF I posted earlier.

And here's another thing: the Super Bowl has more commercials than the average NFL broadcast with a similar amount of action. So while "action" makes up 5.8% of the average NFL broadcast, it only makes up 2-3% of a Super Bowl broadcast.
And the non-football Folks tune in just for commercials so why bring this up??? Fans welcome the commercials. Its more time for me to get another beverage and fill my plate. For crying out loud the commercial ratings are headline news the next day and marketing folks spend the week working overtime to analyze what went well and what went badly.

I'm gonna start calling you stretch Armstrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 01:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 5,637,561 times
The last classic NBA FINALS was three years ago, in 2013. 2010 was a classic, otherwise, all the other Finals this decade have either been snooze fests blowouts (2012, 2014) or didn't live up to the hype (2011, 2015). Some were watchable, but only '10 and '13 were truly exciting the whole series through...

For comparison, only Super Bowl 49 was a classic this decade. But, the only blowout was 48. Super Bowl 50 didn't quite live up to its billing. The other most recent games (47, 46, 45) were all highly entertaining, highly competitive. So where are these Super Bowl you talk about are more often than not bad games? In recent years, the Super Bowl is almost guaranteed to be a good game. Can't say the pattern says the same for the NBA Finals...

In fact, in the 2000s, the NBA Finals didn't have a single all-time great series! Five blowouts finished in 5 games or less (2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2009). The biggest championship snooze fest of all time was the '05 Finals. The '08 Finals was underwhelming and truly dominated by the Celtics. The '06 Finals was exciting because of a young Wade, but the it wasn't a very competitive series, same with the '04 Finals. 2000 was a very good Finals...

In the 2000s, the Super Bowl had only two blowout games (35 and 37). There was three all-time classics in the '00s (38, 42, 43). Super Bowls 36 and 44 were extremely entertaining. Super Bowls 39, 40, and 41 were boring games. But on the whole, once again, the NFL Championship Game was much more entertaining than the NBA Finals in the 2000s. You'd be hard pressed to find even a plurality of people who'd disagree with this...

So, again, what is this less entertaining NFL you speak of? There are far more memorable Super Bowl than NBA Finals...

Old 06-09-2016, 01:09 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The last classic NBA FINALS was three years ago, in 2013. 2010 was a classic, otherwise, all the other Finals this decade have either been snooze fests blowouts (2012, 2014) or didn't live up to the hype (2011, 2015). Some were watchable, but only '10 and '13 were truly exciting the whole series through...

For comparison, only Super Bowl 49 was a classic this decade. But, the only blowout was 48. Super Bowl 50 didn't quite live up to its billing. The other most recent games (47, 46, 45) were all highly entertaining, highly competitive. So where are these Super Bowl you talk about are more often than not bad games? In recent years, the Super Bowl is almost guaranteed to be a good game. Can't say the pattern says the same for the NBA Finals...

In fact, in the 2000s, the NBA Finals didn't have a single all-time great series! Five blowouts finished in 5 games or less (2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2009). The biggest championship snooze fest of all time was the '05 Finals. The '08 Finals was underwhelming and truly dominated by the Celtics. The '06 Finals was exciting because of a young Wade, but the it wasn't a very competitive series, same with the '04 Finals. 2000 was a very good Finals...

In the 2000s, the Super Bowl had only two blowout games (35 and 37). There was three all-time classics in the '00s (38, 42, 43). Super Bowls 36 and 44 were extremely entertaining. Super Bowls 39, 40, and 41 were boring games. But on the whole, once again, the NFL Championship Game was much more entertaining than the NBA Finals in the 2000s. You'd be hard pressed to find even a plurality of people who'd disagree with this...

So, again, what is this less entertaining NFL you speak of? There are far more memorable Super Bowl than NBA Finals...
I blame it on the long half times and the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:23 PM

5,831 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I blame it on the long half times and the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction.
Well, the Janet Jackson thing was at SB 38, Panthers vs. Patriots. And yeah, halftime was very cool, but you gotta admit, that was an all-time great game. The fourth quarter of that Super Bowl 38 was certainly one of the most epic of the last two decades...

Old 06-09-2016, 02:19 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,395,381 times
Quote:
It's shouldn't matter which league is better than another because they all have their strengths and weaknesses, even NBA does just as much as NFL, NHL, or Major League Baseball. They have their pros and cons.Besides you could have put this thread in the general sports section.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 06-09-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think it's obvious why the NFL is hyped more. Less games.

College Football is more exciting than both.
Here's the thing: Every sport leagues has its pros and cons, even college football and NFL. Besides, college football used to be that in the bowl games, there was no advances even if you won a bowl game. And I wish the NFL would get more games. The reason why each team gets one bye is so teams can rest but that's my guess. Another thing is that so many college players are college for targeting penalties, which means if you hit with the crown of the helmet, it's a 15-yard penalty. The referees can review the ejection but not the 15-yard penalty. College football, like the NFL, has pros and cons. Either the targeting penalty or the players committing the targeting penalty is a weakness. Probably the NCAA should eliminate that rule completely and you never see that call in the NFL, period.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 06-09-2016 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't say a team losing by 20 is some great spectacle. I said that a single blowout game in the NBA Finals is not comparable to a Super Bowl blowout. The OKC-GSW series had 3 blowouts and 3-4 tight, competitive games. The Super Bowl could be great or it could be a dud. Either way, you're waiting two weeks for one game to be played that might not even be good.

Anybody who whines and moans about this year's Finals should also whine about all of the non-competitive Super Bowls we've had over the years. And anybody who complains about NBA officiating should try explaining the GIF I posted earlier.

And here's another thing: the Super Bowl has more commercials than the average NFL broadcast with a similar amount of action. So while "action" makes up 5.8% of the average NFL broadcast, it only makes up 2-3% of a Super Bowl broadcast.
That is probably Goodell's ideas. Regarding officiating, referees and umpires are humans and they make mistakes just like players and coaches do. Don't forget that. You need to realize that nobody's perfect and you'll see officials and umpires blow calls every now and then. It's just part of the game. And when it comes to blowouts, the last Super Bowl blowout was Super Bowl 48 when Denver got beat up horribly by Seattle. The Super Bowl afterwards it was really close between Seattle and New England. Seahawks blew their chances. This past Super Bowl was a close game too and Carolina was only down two scores when they lost. Thirty two Super Bowls were really close games. Besides NBA games have more blowouts than college basketball, in my opinion.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 06-09-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 02:51 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
That is probably Goodell's ideas. Regarding officiating, referees and umpires are humans and they make mistakes just like players and coaches do. Don't forget that. You need to realize that nobody's perfect and you'll see officials and umpires blow calls every now and then. It's just part of the game.
It seems that the distinction between an unclear or unworkable rule and a failure to properly enforce a rule is too slippery a concept for some folks on here to grasp.

In other words, a failure to call a travel after a basketball player takes 9 steps without dribbling is a failure to enforce a clearly articulated rule. There's no ambiguity in "a player may not take three steps or more without dribbling." The NBA's Rules Committee will not be discussing the definition of a "travel" anytime soon because everyone understands what a travel means. Whether a referee makes the correct call or not is a different story.

A "football move," however, is not clearly defined. How do you define that exactly? Nobody knows what it means.

Quote:
Really, I don’t think anyone knows. We have a vague idea that a football move is when, after catching the ball, the receiver does a football thing with it (like, you know, run with it), but there seems to be a lot of tedious debate over how much footballing a receiver has to do with the football before he’s officially footballed hard enough for it to be a football move. Football.
So What Is A “Football Move” Anyway? (We Don’t Know Either)

The problem is the rule itself, not human error. You can't blame a referee for not properly enforcing a rule that was never clear in the first place. For some refs, a pass that never hits the ground and gets intercepted by a defensive player may be deemed an incomplete pass. Just let that sink in for a moment. A pass is thrown. It is caught by the receiver. The receiver gets hit and the ball comes loose. The ball is cleanly caught in mid-air by a safety. And the correct ruling according to the NFL rulebook is that the play resulted in an incomplete pass.

That has to be the dumbest, most counter-intuitive rule in all of sports. The tuck rule was bad but this takes the cake.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:03 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@bajan is reaching hard lol...

Listen, I know way more people who don't like basketball, than people who don't like football. Earlier it was stated that football was somehow only popular down south. Yeah right, I lived Upstate New York--the Giants have camp in Albany, the Jets have camp in SUNY Cortland, and the Bills have camp in Rochester. All three franchises have long, long followings in New York, stronger than several southern NFL franchise...
Actually, that wasn't stated. So I'll "murk" your credibility right there.

Nobody is arguing that football isn't the biggest sport in America. But why does that matter when basketball is by many measures, at worst, the third most popular sport in the world? The argument that 'Murica does loves so it's the best isn't persuasive. I could easily say something is the best because it's done in New York. And yet New Yorkers are always accused of being New York-centric. SMH.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:02 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I can't think of one reason. Most playoff series are one sided, and full of blow outs. In the NFL, different teams move up every year- the NBA rarely changes it's top teams.
That's because there are teams that have no business in the playoffs to begin with, thus allowing the top teams to cruise into the semi-finals, plus the Eastern Conference is weak.

Eight teams in a best of 7 series, why make viewers suffer through that monstrosity? so they make more money through creepy State Farm ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball