Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,811,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess the difference is that we have 4 more games to hold out hope for.

There is a 2 week gap between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. So we endure two weeks of press conferences, pre-game hype, and prognostications for one game that is not even that good more often than not.
So in the NBA we get a two and half week gap between Games 1 and Games 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 AM

759 posts, read 638,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Hahah.. yep.

June 2nd thru June 19th. Wow. Not even the World Series takes that long.

... and bring back the 2/3/2 format.

2/2/1/1/1 is complete garbage.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Hahah.. yep.

June 2nd thru June 19th. Wow. Not even the World Series takes that long.

... and bring back the 2/3/2 format.

2/2/1/1/1 is complete garbage.
And the season starts again in less than four months.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 AM

32,120 posts, read 34,781,879 times
Quote:
Let me give you one example. I'm not belaboring this issue. Again my argument is simply the NBA doesn't get a pass for confusing.

Flagrant 1s Flagrant 2s.
Flagrant fouls are not confusing. A flagrant foul, by definition, is determined on a discretionary basis. It's no different from an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, which is also left to the discretion of the referee. Just because some calls are left to a referee's discretion (i.e., pass interference, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness, etc.) doesn't mean those rules are "confusing." It just means the call is left to the judgment of the officiating crew.

A "catch," on the other hand, should not be a judgment call. Most ordinary fans understand it as two feet in bounds plus "possession." Easy. Yet if you're a Cowboys or Lions fan you're still scratching your head over why Dez Bryant's and Calvin Johnson's "catches" were not touchdowns. If you're a Bears fan, you're still scratching your head over why Golden Tate's fumble was called a "touchdown" even though it technically resulted in an interception.

The absolute worst example of this was when Willie Snead caught a pass, got lit up by the corner, then "fumbled" it in the air for it to be intercepted. THE BALL NEVER TOUCHED THE GROUND. How is that not an interception??? It makes no sense!

So no, NBA rules are not nearly as confusing as NFL rules.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:46 AM

Someone please explain to me why this isn't an interception. This isn't an example of a "bad call." It's just a stupid rule.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/E_U...55/gp6.0.0.gif

Then we can talk about how "confusing" Flagrant 2s are.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-09-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-09-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
And those are 7 games played in that timeframe compared to the one game that gets played between the Super Bowl and the AFC/NFC Championship game. Not even comparable. It's two weeks of unending hype for a potential curb-stomping like the one the Seahawks handed to Peyton Manning and the Broncos.

There's always the possibility you could have 7 bad games in the NBA Finals. But since there are more games, the likelihood of getting at least one entertaining contest is higher.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And those are 7 games played in that timeframe compared to the one game that gets played between the Super Bowl and the AFC/NFC Championship game. Not even comparable. It's two weeks of unending hype for a potential curb-stomping like the one the Seahawks handed to Peyton Manning and the Broncos.

There's always the possibility you could have 7 bad games in the NBA Finals. But since there are more games, the likelihood of getting at least one entertaining contest is higher.
2 1/2 > 2.

And NBA Finals are all worth just one game and one brilliant performance means very little. Just as the first three snore fest (well I enjoyed game 3) you think it is a great spectacle watching a team down by 20 in the 3rd kinda sorta just give up??? There is still tomorrow if you stink just ask the Cavs and ask the Warriors too

Truth is I love the NBA and I love the NFL - just trying to present the other side that you are so feverishly trying to defeat

Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM

638 posts, read 625,225 times
How many NFL games end 0-0?

Sure, some Superbowls are boring. But the viewership for the game is insane. The viewership levels and attention the constant the NFL garners is the envy of all other American sports leagues.

Football is America's most popular sport, period. No reason to feel guilty because we love football and baseball more than the rest of the world. I don't give two **** if soccer is actually somehow a "better" game than football. Football is my favorite sport.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
And NBA Finals are all worth just one game and one brilliant performance means very little. Just as the first three snore fest (well I enjoyed game 3) you think it is a great spectacle watching a team down by 20 in the 3rd kinda sorta just give up??? There is still tomorrow if you stink just ask the Cavs and ask the Warriors too
I didn't say a team losing by 20 is some great spectacle. I said that a single blowout game in the NBA Finals is not comparable to a Super Bowl blowout. The OKC-GSW series had 3 blowouts and 3-4 tight, competitive games. The Super Bowl could be great or it could be a dud. Either way, you're waiting two weeks for one game to be played that might not even be good.

Anybody who whines and moans about this year's Finals should also whine about all of the non-competitive Super Bowls we've had over the years. And anybody who complains about NBA officiating should try explaining the GIF I posted earlier.

And here's another thing: the Super Bowl has more commercials than the average NFL broadcast with a similar amount of action. So while "action" makes up 5.8% of the average NFL broadcast, it only makes up 2-3% of a Super Bowl broadcast.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:17 PM

5,850 posts, read 5,651,043 times
@bajan is reaching hard lol...

Listen, I know way more people who don't like basketball, than people who don't like football. Earlier it was stated that football was somehow only popular down south. Yeah right, I lived Upstate New York--the Giants have camp in Albany, the Jets have camp in SUNY Cortland, and the Bills have camp in Rochester. All three franchises have long, long followings in New York, stronger than several southern NFL franchise...

By contrasts, sure, the Knicks have a moderate following. The Nets are barely followed in New York City, let alone Upstate. The comparison in popularity for Knicks/Nets to Giants/Jets/Bills is incomparable. The NY Post did a study on tjis several years back, ill try to find it. So arguing popularity is moot. Over here--here, as I'm North America--football is far more popular than basketball. That's how it is, how it's gonna be...

Quality of play is much higher in football. Listen, most people, even diehard NBA guys, feel the season is too long. The NBA regular season is full of snooze fests; light on drama. In fact, NBA is so contrived in its popularity that the same 8-10 teams rotate national TV time all season. Seriously? I mean, the lack of parody in the NBA does not make for large followings. The playoffs are generally exciting, I admit, which is why you only see me on this board in the postseason. The performances become better and the drama is heightened. Honestly, I probably watch 3 regular season games a year. I keep up with the standings through ESPN and Bleacher Report. The NFL regular season is far more exciting, the playoffs are as well, he'll even the NFL preseason has the HOF Game and is more enticing than the NBA preseason. The NBA preseason is actually the least notable of all Big 4 preseasons...

Also, I have to agree with @eastcoast, the NFL rules and football in general are easier to understand if you played. I played for five seasons (though not collegiately), therefore I have a heightened appreciation and understanding of football than most people who didn't play organized football. There is plenty of excitement in a 10-9 game, like the Seahawks-Vikings playoff game last year. The match ups in the NBA are intriguing, I admit, but the NFL match ups are so much more intricate--the degree of difficulty is higher, for the simple fact that one player doesn't have the impact in football that one player has on a basketball game. Football is a moving parts game, and you can be Barry Sanders good with minimal professional success. It is the most team-involved sport out there....

If you're Barry Sanders good in basketball, it is easier to make an impact and turn into tremendous professional success...

Unlike other guys here, I don't love the NBA. I don't love basketball. I love the NBA Playoffs, and I enjoy the NCAA Tournament. Euro ball is boring to me; the talent pool is too thin by comparison. Hey, different strokes for different folks. But some of the reasons dude is shooting for as basketball better than football are flawed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball