Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 448,542 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit confused about these stats when I watch games.

1. If a player on team a fouls a player on team b, and the player on team b misses the shot, will that miss count on his fg percentage? Like if it was 2of 2, would it now be 2 of 3? What if he makes it with the foul?

2. If a rebound is up for grabs, and a player can't grab it, but he slaps it to a teammate so that teammate can grab it, who does the rebound credits to? The teammate or the player who first slapped it?

3. If a defensive player is guarding another player on offense, and that defense player can't take it, but he slaps it so the ball changes direction, and it lands onto another player of the defense team, which player gets the credit of the steal? The defense player who slapped it or the defense player who received it?

4. If a player passes the ball to a teammate, but the passer threw a bad pass, but the teammates hands touched it but since it's a bad pass it's uncontrollable, and it goes out of bounds, the turnover goes to who?

5. Also, same with 4, if that bad pass went to the other team, does the player on the other team get a steal If it just lands on their hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 01:21 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
1) If you get fouled in the act of shooting, it only counts towards your shooting percentage if you MAKE the shot. I.e. you are 2-2 in the first quarter, you get fouled shooting as the quarter expires. You miss the shot to get the 2 free throws: you'll finish the quarter 2-2, if you make it you finish the quarter 3-3.

2) I believe the person who got control of the rebound would get credit for the rebound, so whoever got control once it finished rolling around on the tip would get credit.

3) Same with 3, the person who gets control of the ball, I believe gets credit with the steal.

4) This is a difficult one and I'll have to go watch some games and look at the live play-by play. This is the only one I'm not confident in. if it goes off the person's hands, than the player who threw it gets the turnover. If he throws a bad pass, but the receiver is able to control it and then turns it over, I believe it's on them (i.e player A throws a high pass to player B in the corner. Player B is able to catch it, and come down with it, but once he comes down, he comes down with his foot out of bounds. I believe that's a turnover on player B. if player A throws a high pass to player B in the corner, it goes off player B's fingertips out of bounds that should be a turnover on player A). As I said I'll have to watch some games and look for situations where this happen, and than look at the live play-by-play. And regarding #5 yes the defensive player would get the steal assuming they are able to stay in bounds.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 AM

1,106 posts, read 448,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
1) If you get fouled in the act of shooting, it only counts towards your shooting percentage if you MAKE the shot. I.e. you are 2-2 in the first quarter, you get fouled shooting as the quarter expires. You miss the shot to get the 2 free throws: you'll finish the quarter 2-2, if you make it you finish the quarter 3-3.

2) I believe the person who got control of the rebound would get credit for the rebound, so whoever got control once it finished rolling around on the tip would get credit.

3) Same with 3, the person who gets control of the ball, I believe gets credit with the steal.

4) This is a difficult one and I'll have to go watch some games and look at the live play-by play. This is the only one I'm not confident in. if it goes off the person's hands, than the player who threw it gets the turnover. If he throws a bad pass, but the receiver is able to control it and then turns it over, I believe it's on them (i.e player A throws a high pass to player B in the corner. Player B is able to catch it, and come down with it, but once he comes down, he comes down with his foot out of bounds. I believe that's a turnover on player B. if player A throws a high pass to player B in the corner, it goes off player B's fingertips out of bounds that should be a turnover on player A). As I said I'll have to watch some games and look for situations where this happen, and than look at the live play-by-play. And regarding #5 yes the defensive player would get the steal assuming they are able to stay in bounds.

Thanks. I thought no one was going to reply and this post goes unanswered forever.

I'm a stats guy so I'm sure players are fully aware of what to do to not get bad stats. I see lots of these during games and sometimes players are in a bad location at the wrong time, and sometimes the right place at the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball