Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
That's true.

But I was simply saying for several stretches of the game (as opposed to the whole game), they took the Suns out of their offensive rhythm by fouling Shaq and making Shaq hit free throws. And because I believe knocking a team out of its offensive rhythm will negatively affect them on the defensive end as well, the Spurs knew that Hack-a-Shaq wasn't simply an exercise to see if Shaq could hit his free throws.
I would suggest that Pheonix never lost a series because of their offense. Shaq was heavy and slow...Nash....well he's Nash...and they got Parkerized by the Spurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM

347 posts, read 650,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would suggest that Pheonix never lost a series because of their offense. Shaq was heavy and slow...Nash....well he's Nash...and they got Parkerized by the Spurs.
Actually, in last year's Suns-Spurs series, I would argue they did. They couldn't play the offense they wanted because Shaq and Amare clogged up the paint, they had no three-point shooters, and the Spurs stifled their running game by sending Shaq to the line on several occasions. And because I believe the energy put out during offense dictates the energy and effort put out during defense, they also lost on the defensive end.

Really - the Suns, after Game 1, had no chance against the Spurs on either end of the court.

Of course, their defensive woes weren't strictly limited to how much effort they made - two of their defenders were Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire. You can put as much effort on defense that you want, but having only 3.5 or 4 defenders on the court isn't going to work.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Actually, in last year's Suns-Spurs series, I would argue they did. They couldn't play the offense they wanted because Shaq and Amare clogged up the paint, they had no three-point shooters, and the Spurs stifled their running game by sending Shaq to the line on several occasions. And because I believe the energy put out during offense dictates the energy and effort put out during defense, they also lost on the defensive end.

Really - the Suns, after Game 1, had no chance against the Spurs on either end of the court.

Of course, their defensive woes weren't strictly limited to how much effort they made - two of their defenders were Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire. You can put as much effort on defense that you want, but having only 3.5 or 4 defenders on the court isn't going to work.
Excellent points, as always.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think Howard outplayed Lebron last night.
Consider turn-overs and shooting percentage in the equation.

Granted I still think Lebron is better but at this point other than him and Kobe there isn't a better player in the NBA right now. (We can argue there guys that are roughly equivalent like D. Wade)
I get a kick out of it when Dwight stuffs LeBron from time to time. I didn't think that was possible to do against LeBron. Once, in the game, Dwight stuffed him with one hand while LeBron had some steam behind him with two hands gripped on the ball driving to the lane. Besides, we all know how strong of a player LeBron is, which makes it more impressive.

That should make a good poster for Dwight Howard!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM

My top 5 right now....
1-2) Lebron and Kobe
3-5) Wade, Howard, Carmelo

Honorable Mention: Parker, Paul, Nowitzki and a few others...health issues and aging makes Duncan, Yao, Garnett a tough call.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM

347 posts, read 650,483 times
Thread necromancy!

I just had to revive this old topic because this video was brought to my attention:

YouTube - Hakeem Olajuwon & Dwight Howard Training Sessions 2010

I knew that Yao Ming was going to have a better post game after he trained with Hakeem (a shame about his injuries, though). Kobe attained an unstoppable post game last year (before injuries started to slow him down), all thanks to learning the "Dream Shake" from Hakeem. And now, Dwight Howard seems to have shaken his previously stiff, hesitant, and frankly ugly post-game with the help of Hakeem.

Hakeem certainly can work wonders.

This video isn't just a video on how Howard's post game has drastically improved. It's a bona-fide training video on how to approach playing the low-post, a definite must for any aspiring post player.

Note: in the cases of both Yao and Howard, Patrick Ewing happened to be their big-man coach before Hakeem trained them. If you've ever seen Ewing's game, it was one of the slower and uglier post-games out there. Effective (because of his jumpshot and strength), but ugly. This isn't to sh-t on Ewing, but to show just how vastly better Olajuwon was as a post player (and subsequently, as a teacher).

Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Man, if Dwight Howard attains 1/4 of Hakeem's post game, watch out NBA.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Every center in middle school, high school, college, and the NBA should save this video on their hard drive. A great tutoring session!! Welcome back Urban. Haven't seen you in a while.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Quote:
Thread necromancy!

I just had to revive this old topic because this video was brought to my attention:

YouTube - Hakeem Olajuwon & Dwight Howard Training Sessions 2010

I knew that Yao Ming was going to have a better post game after he trained with Hakeem (a shame about his injuries, though). Kobe attained an unstoppable post game last year (before injuries started to slow him down), all thanks to learning the "Dream Shake" from Hakeem. And now, Dwight Howard seems to have shaken his previously stiff, hesitant, and frankly ugly post-game with the help of Hakeem.

Hakeem certainly can work wonders.

This video isn't just a video on how Howard's post game has drastically improved. It's a bona-fide training video on how to approach playing the low-post, a definite must for any aspiring post player.

Note: in the cases of both Yao and Howard, Patrick Ewing happened to be their big-man coach before Hakeem trained them. If you've ever seen Ewing's game, it was one of the slower and uglier post-games out there. Effective (because of his jumpshot and strength), but ugly. This isn't to sh-t on Ewing, but to show just how vastly better Olajuwon was as a post player (and subsequently, as a teacher).
"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." --Michael Jordan

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Hakeem is one of my favorite all-time players. His post game was ,aesthetically, as pleasing as the flashiest of perimeter players. He was simply a joy to watch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball