Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Are you and Metrobr ever going to get off this kick about negative BR residents?

The fact is that the majority of the people don't want the tax burden this system would pose.
I won't, you can ask MetroBTR. If it was privatized there would be no tax burden, if they can find a way to not tax for it, there will be no tax burden. Majority of the problem, in my opinion, comes from the unincorporated cities that vote no for everything, I agree with their stand but it's not doing anything for the city of BR to have them in the parish, outside of city limits, yet still voting on BR ballots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I won't, you can ask MetroBTR. If it was privatized there would be no tax burden, if they can find a way to not tax for it, there will be no tax burden. Majority of the problem, in my opinion, comes from the unincorporated cities that vote no for everything, I agree with their stand but it's not doing anything for the city of BR to have them in the parish, outside of city limits, yet still voting on BR ballots.
Which " unincorporated cities " are you referring to ? And are you familiar with the concept of the Metropolitan form of Goverment ?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM

Baker, Zachary, and Central. No, not particularly.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 AM

Baker , Zachary and Central are all incorporated municipalities . They have their own city goverments , school systems , etc.

This is a long read , but it explains it all . Plan of Government: Chapter 1

Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Its a shame you guys don't a have trains connection between NOLA and BR....it would do wonders for you guys. Maybe you can go with a Private - Public built line like alot of states and cities are doing for New lines.... It cuts the tax payer funded part in half ,and makes things go quicker. Denver is building out there system that way..... We might use it for our New 13 Billion $$$ Tunnel , Bridge and Station Project.... I see no reason why LA couldn't build a line or network this way...?

Your trains wouldn't be this fast......probably only 60mph.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrCBjnuNocw

Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Are you and Metrobr ever going to get off this kick about negative BR residents?

The fact is that the majority of the people don't want the tax burden this system would pose.
I'm not sure what you are talking about Rosinante. I typically try to justify the behavior of BR residents, even sometimes when they don't deserve the effort.

Sure, people in BR don't like to ride the bus, but I believe it's because the public transportation options suck, not because they are (?)negative(?).

Old 03-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Baker , Zachary and Central are all incorporated municipalities . They have their own city goverments , school systems , etc.

This is a long read , but it explains it all . Plan of Government: Chapter 1
I didn't find my answer, what I'm asking is do they vote on EBR ballots that don't effect them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its a shame you guys don't a have trains connection between NOLA and BR....it would do wonders for you guys. Maybe you can go with a Private - Public built line like alot of states and cities are doing for New lines.... It cuts the tax payer funded part in half ,and makes things go quicker. Denver is building out there system that way..... We might use it for our New 13 Billion $$$ Tunnel , Bridge and Station Project.... I see no reason why LA couldn't build a line or network this way...?

Your trains wouldn't be this fast......probably only 60mph.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrCBjnuNocw
We aren't as progressive as Denver. Privitized would be great, probably better quality service. A network would be cool but I don't think it's financially feasible; we could have a network consisting of: BR, NO, Mobile, Jackson, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Shreveport, Monroe, Little Rock, And Dallas. But THAT'S what you call pipe dreams.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I didn't find my answer, what I'm asking is do they vote on EBR ballots that don't effect them?
No , everything we vote for affects us in some way .

Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
No , everything we vote for affects us in some way .
Let me explain: they might vote no for a tax for the expansion and new buses for the CATS system since they won't use it. They might vote no for a tax for major construction on the Horace Wilkinson because they don't use it much. Do you get my point now? I know it affect their pockets, but it doesn't benefit them in any way so its obvious most would not vote yes on another (useless) tax.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Well , your talking about hypothetical things . However , many of the residents of Central work and play in Baton Rouge . If we pay tax dollars to B.R. , there is nothing wrong with expecting a benefit for it . It's not charity after all .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge