Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:04 AM

40 posts, read 126,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Um yeah, in the other 49 states white is the majority ... only in Hawaii is white, Haole, no more than any other racial type. You've been used to being "on top" ...

So now, let's assume you had a bad incident -- whether your energy brought it out - or whether the Hawaiians that confronted you were truly racist ... now you've had your moment of feeling what it's like for all the minorities in the rest of the country on pretty much a daily basis. Grow up. Take it like a man. Some people are shallow and discriminate. Your turn in the barrel. Suck it up. Live with it. Nobody responding here is bleeding for you, obviously. Your one incident doesn't make Hilo "racist". Places aren't "racist" ... individual people are. Maybe you ran into a few. So what. Have some cheese with your whine. You've been to Hilo once. Most of the rest of us have been there a lot, or lived there. We don't share your experience or opinions. And your attitude is not helping you here. Probably didn't on the beach, either.

Have a nice day. Aloha.
Hileriously.... WRONG DATA!

Texas is only 45% white, California, 39% white, New Mexico, 30% white.

Only Hawaii with 25% white thinks that treating minorities like dogs is ok.

BTW... Have a nice Day

Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 AM

40 posts, read 126,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt808 View Post
I was born and raised in Hilo. I am Hawaiian, mixed -including "white" . Almost everyone in Hawaii has a multitude of races and to say that Hilo is racist is completely ridiculous. I have never experienced any racism neither being given nor received. Everyone jokes around with each other, sometimes regarding race, but on a fun level. If you couldn't handle the fun, well I'm sorry! And if you honestly felt it wasn't in fun, then you must have done something to provoke it - them calling you a "f'n haole" was out of the anger. We use all kinds of slang, such as "haole" , "hawaiian", "***", "popolo", etc... - it's not meant to be derogatory in any way, it's just how we express what we're talking about. I love my home town and thank and appreciate everyone who stood up to back up Hilo.
So because you are bi racial and you say you've never felt racism... I say BS.

Only in Hawaii and perhaps inter city mainland ghettos are white people treated like trash.

Always blame the victim!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 AM

81 posts, read 208,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood226 View Post
Try Honolulu!

It seems while the rest of the usa has been dumping racism... Hawaii still thinks it cool!
If you want to hear "racism" in Hawaii, start a conversation about Micronesians.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood226 View Post
Hileriously.... WRONG DATA!

Texas is only 45% white, California, 39% white, New Mexico, 30% white.

Only Hawaii with 25% white thinks that treating minorities like dogs is ok.

BTW... Have a nice Day
Well, you are partially correct about New Mexico, depending on which definition of "White" you use (from the U.S. Census Bureau). On your other protestations, you might want to recheck your facts. May I offer a resource? -- the U.S. Census Bureau:
State and County QuickFacts
Consider that in each case you cite -- California, New Mexico, and Texas (and Hawaii) -- the percentages you claim are not confirmed by the Census in the "White persons" column at the top of each racial breakdown statistic section. That, in fact, "White persons" remain the overwhelming majority in every state except Hawaii. Overwhelmingly.

Now then, if you wish to define "white" as more specifically "of non-Hispanic origin", you can read further down and see that those statistics for each of your citations, except New Mexico, also still deny your protest -- except that in the one state of Hawaii your claim is accurate at 25%.

Further, consider that the generally accepted, traditional, first classification of "White" does include "Hispanics" for a reason, as that racial type is often entirely indistinguishable from 'Caucasian without Hispanic influence'. And thus I reiterate: Hawaii is the only state where "White" is not the [overwhelming] majority.

Now then, nitpicking nonsense aside, I also reiterate: if you as a "White person" are occasionally exposed to racism (against you), suck it up like a man / woman of character and substance. One thing for sure: "White persons" are NOT the racial majority of the world, which world is experiencing a rapid breakdown of all kinds of borders -- geographical and social alike -- and "White persons" are in process of losing their temporary, arrogant, self-appointed, top racial ranking. (Where whites got the chutzpah to so self-annoint themselves Masters of the World is a rather astounding question to begin with. Surprisingly, some whites with superiority complexes can't even spell common words in their own language.)

And lastly, I also repeat: places aren't racist (Hawaii), individual people are. Live with reality. Live reality with character.

Have a nice day. Aloha.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 AM

170 posts, read 533,115 times
Its funny reading all the hawaiians act like theres no racism in Hawaii...and its the WHITE persons fault..

Dont even listen to me...go to google and type "hawaii racist" <ENTER>

Enjoy reading the next 5,000 pages on peoples experiences by racist hawaiians.

I SERIOUSLY doubt they are all lieing..

We need to stop spending our tourist money on Hawaii since they hate us so much. There are plenty of pretty places on Earth to visit that arent full of a bunch of racist locals.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,874 times
Can you blame them... Our lovely "haole" government screwed them, just like they're screwing us now.
Then all the whities with big money come out and buy up the place and put in all the big box stores and make it look like America.

It can be embarassing to be "white" when me and my family want to live there amongst da locals and go hawaiian style.

I doubt Hilo is the most racist.. Im sure those guys get tired of how arrogant white people are, thinking they should roll out the proverbial red carpet and act like disney world. You were in someones neighborhood, show some respect....

Old 11-21-2010, 11:39 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
There is racism everywhere in the country and everywhere in the world. Hawaii does seem to have less of it though.

However,when it happens in Hawaii, some people feel they have to post comments on every forum they come across. Their rants make the racism appear much worse than it is.

From what I have seen, it isn't so much racism, its' more a case of the idiot who acted stupid and got called out for it who is the one claiming racism. I wouldn't go to a Mexican locals beach and think I had any right to be there. Wherever one goes, you have to show respect for the people that live there. When you discover yourself doing something that isn't pono, apologize and leave. Don't try to stay and argue your "rights."

Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 PM

170 posts, read 533,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Can you blame them... Our lovely "haole" government screwed them, just like they're screwing us now.
Then all the whities with big money come out and buy up the place and put in all the big box stores and make it look like America.

It can be embarassing to be "white" when me and my family want to live there amongst da locals and go hawaiian style.

I doubt Hilo is the most racist.. Im sure those guys get tired of how arrogant white people are, thinking they should roll out the proverbial red carpet and act like disney world. You were in someones neighborhood, show some respect....
If Hawaiians dont want to be part of the United States thats fine with me.

They can all stop receiving welfare and unemployment from the US Government ASAP!

Let them fend for themselves in the world.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
I dont even know wtf your talking about.

It was a huge public beach with tons of people there swimming and eating.

What the hell does that have to do with a white person not being allowed there?

This isnt the 1600's man its the year 2010!

I dont just walk down my street here in Colorado and call all the black people the N word and tell them to get lost.

Whats wrong with you people..
That figures.

My last post stands.

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 11-21-2010 at 11:31 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 04:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
If Hawaiians dont want to be part of the United States thats fine with me.

They can all stop receiving welfare and unemployment from the US Government ASAP!

Let them fend for themselves in the world.
Man, you keep feeding me straight lines
Hawaii ranks the 6th lowest in unemployment benefits applied for out of 50 states
Unemployment Rates for States
and ranks 9th lowest in the U.S. (41st out of 50) for welfare caseloads
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
... thus it certainly isn't much of a drain on the American system

Last edited by Yac; 12-06-2010 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island