Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,240 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to the BI at the end of August from Vancouver Island, BC and everyone I talk to says that in Hilo it rains non stop. I would prefer to live in Hilo instead of Kona but for the rain. Could someone, please, clarify this for me?
Mahalo
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Sophie View Post
Hi, I am moving to the BI at the end of August from Vancouver Island, BC and everyone I talk to says that in Hilo it rains non stop. I would prefer to live in Hilo instead of Kona but for the rain. Could someone, please, clarify this for me?
Mahalo
I work in Hilo on a fairly regular basis, and while it isn't non-stop - it is a lot of rain. As big of an issue with Hilo is the frogs and the noise they make.

Here is Vancouver's rainfall, roughly 45 inches a year. Vancouver's wettest month is about the same as Hilo's driest month.

Average Weather for Vancouver, BC - Temperature and Precipitation

And Hilo - roughly 120 inches a year. There is no distinct dry season in Hilo - just some months are even more wet.

Average Weather for Hilo, HI - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Could you explain your reasons for wanting to live in Hilo versus Kona, or anywhere else on the BI. If work isn't an issue, maybe there are other areas that you could consider.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And Hilo - roughly 120 inches a year. There is no distinct dry season in Hilo - just some months are even more wet.

Average Weather for Hilo, HI - Temperature and Precipitation

Wow, I knew it rained a lot in Hilo but did not realized it rained this much. Is it a constant rain, or periods of extremely heavy downpour intermixed with periods of extended sunshine every day ?

I live in Portland Oregon and have a condo in Waikiki. Those rain averages for Hilo make Portland look dry. Anyway, I'm sure it is also beautiful. Not been to Hilo personally. But would enjoy visiting one day.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Wow, I knew it rained a lot in Hilo but did not realized it rained this much. Is it a constant rain, or periods of extremely heavy downpour intermixed with periods of extended sunshine every day ?

I live in Portland Oregon and have a condo in Waikiki. Those rain averages for Hilo make Portland look dry. Anyway, I'm sure it is also beautiful. Not been to Hilo personally. But would enjoy visiting one day.
There isn't much to see in Hilo itself - but it is lush and green. The pattern is often a lot of rain in the morning - then a break (usually cloudy) - then mid-afternoon the rain starts up again thru the evening. I'd charactarize it as often a heavy rain but not a wind driven rain like you can get in the Pacific NW.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,479 times
You just need to visit it for yourself and see what you think personally.

I'm moving there in just a few weeks; my spouse has been there many times and fell in love with it. But then we are used to rain and frogs. Your mileage may vary.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I say. One man's paradise is another man's hell.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
DebbyDiver nailed it. You need to visit and make up your own mind. Some people hate the weather in Hilo, others love it. It is the largest community on the Island of Hawai'i, and for some folks it is surprisingly compelling.

Hilo is in a Tropical Climate Zone, which means it is wet all year around, with no real dry season. And the temperature mostly stays in the 70-80 band year around, so it is warm and green and lush. Everything grows in Hilo, all year around.

But it doesn't rain all the time, and it rairly rains all day. More often it does a heavy dump then clears up.

The weather folks tell us Hilo averages 36 sunny days a year + 132 partly sunny days, for 168 days with at least some sun. That leaves 201 days to be classified as cloudy (80% or more cloud cover) and yet, having lived in Seattle, I can say it's very, very different than the legendary grey gloom of that great city. For one thing weather in Hilo tends to change rapidly, and frequently, and the clouds are often billowing and dramatic, with beams of sun knifing through. With Mauna Kea looming in the background, it's a stunning sight. I never tire of it.

So check it out for yourself.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
It can rain several inches per hour in Hilo so even though it has a high rainfall it doesn't stay gray and gloomy all day. There is also excellent drainage so it doesn't flood unless there are several consecutive hours of multiple inches per hour of rain. Sometimes it rains while the sun shines, too, so you can have rain AND sunshine.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Hi, thanks for answering, I am retired, so, jobs are really not an issue but Hilo has a nice university and I would like to attend some courses. Besides the rain my bigg question is about a good swimming beach. I have arthritis and the warm, salty water is very beneficial.
I am landing in Kona and thought about renting a car and cruising the island and have a look around before deciding.
Do you have some advice?
Mahalo
Rosie

Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 AM

Hi Debbi,
Thanks for the advice, having leaved in Seattle you know what I am talking about. We had a very gloomy year, last month was name Junuary....
Do you recommend any good beaches around Hilo? I have lots of arthritis and the best thing is a swim in a warm ocean.
Mahalo
Rosie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island