Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Oooooh sounds really nice!!! We drove by that lodge last week when we were up in that area. What a pretty area. Sending the info to spouse.
If you do get there, even if just for a dinner, try the lilikoi (passionfruit) margarita. It's quite tasty, and instead of salt they rim the glass in li hing powder.* Yum.

After dinner at Kilauea Lodge I sometimes like to wander out to the gazebo with my after-dinner drink. It's quite civilized.

* Li hing powder is a tasty red powdered condiment made from the dried skins of pickled Asian plums. It's salty, sweet, and tangy all at the same time. You can buy it in Hilo at KTA Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Ooooh we do love lilikoi anything! We had some downright delicious lilikoi martinis at Cafe Pesto.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
The Mauna Beach Kea Hotel would be my pick...

Unlike Volcano, it's far enough from Hilo that you probably won't day trip there, so it feels more like getting away.

They have good Kama'aina deals (or at least they used to), and I hear they've done a really nice renovation.

The beach there is great.

They have some good food there, and it's not too far to get to my favorite BI restaurant (Merriman's in Waimea).

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
The Mauna Beach Kea Hotel would be my pick...
I'm gonna guess you meant Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Yeah, looks great. I'll have to try it myself sometime.

Quote:
Unlike Volcano, it's far enough from Hilo that you probably won't day trip there, so it feels more like getting away.
Funny, I've never equated physical distance with getting away as much as I do psychological distance. I could chill easily out a couple of miles away at the Kilauea Lodge or the Volcano House Inn, and I have indeed spent weekends in Hilo just for a change of pace.

That's one of the things i really appreciate about the Island of Hawai'i, that you can drive 25 miles and have a complete change of scenery.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM

This getaway won't be for a few more weeks, so keep on suggesting! Many thanks to those who have tuned in so far. No matter which one I choose, this will be a great reference for future forum visitors.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm gonna guess you meant Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Yeah, looks great. I'll have to try it myself sometime.
Gah. That's what comes of writing before coffee. I originally wrote "Mauna Kea Hotel" then looked it up to be sure, saw there should be "Beach" in the name, and inserted it in the wrong spot. Ha!

Quote:
Funny, I've never equated physical distance with getting away as much as I do psychological distance. I could chill easily out a couple of miles away at the Kilauea Lodge or the Volcano House Inn, and I have indeed spent weekends in Hilo just for a change of pace.
Hmm... I'm on Oahu, so it's different because nothing is so far away. I day-trip to the North Shore and various other spots on the island. But I've never "gone away for a weekend" someplace that's just a short drive. (And yeah, an hour still seems short to me even after 4+ years here. My So Cal upbringing, I guess.)

When I go away for a weekend, it's really *away*. In my case, other islands. But on the BI, I could see going to Kona or Kohala for a weekend from Hilo. But Volcano is just a short drive... I guess the with the caveat is that there are real reasons you might want to be in Volcano late, and you might not want to do the drive back so late. We don't have anything comparable here... most stuff closes up early unless it's in town, and that's right where I live!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 AM

Honestly, if someone had recommended an awesome B&B right here in Hilo, I'd look into it!

Getting away isn't a destination, it's a state of mind. When I lived in Florida, I occasionally used to camp pretty close to home!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
This getaway won't be for a few more weeks, so keep on suggesting!
Don't forget this great daytrip, a little later on... Thanksgiving Weekend... Nov 23, 24 & 25, 10am - 4pm... the fabulous 23rd annual Volcano Art Studio Tour.

Volcano Art Studio Tour and Sale | West Hawaii Today, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (The newspaper is in Kailua-Kona, not the tour)

Volcano Village Artists Hui Home

Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM

93 posts, read 305,720 times
Stayed for two nights at The Orchid Tree B&B in Hilo. The owner, Steve, is a great guy and his place is beautiful. Highly recommended.

Orchid Tree Bed and Breakfast (Hilo, HI) - B&B Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Honestly, if someone had recommended an awesome B&B right here in Hilo, I'd look into it!

Getting away isn't a destination, it's a state of mind. When I lived in Florida, I occasionally used to camp pretty close to home!
I've stayed at two nice B&B's in Hilo, but neither had a jacuzzi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island