Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

@Everyone

Mahalo nui loa for all the kind words and posts, it was a pleasure, glad you guys enjoyed it. Its interesting to get a different perception or a look at things sometimes. I only found the videos i didn't make them so all the credit needs to goto the uncles and aunties who made the videos. Aloha

But i did enjoy hunting for them, and if it gives you joy? Then life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Here's a pic of my wife in downtown Hilo, October 2013.

Attachment 125737
Nice pic! I love the old buildings that are left along the west end of the Bayfront. When you look at a map, all the green park area you see was much like these old buildings before the 1946 and 1960 tsunamis took out most of the old downtown. After 1946 they rebuilt, but after 1960 they cleared the area east of Ponahawai Street for a park and rebuilt most of the shopping area on higher ground in South Hilo.

Unfortunately this is when a lot of the charming old Hilo hotels were destroyed, and the major shift to Kona side began. Kona Village resort opened mid-60s, and Kailua-Kona Airport opened in 1970, along with three large Japanese-owned resorts on the Kona coast around the same time, and that effectively ended Hilo's heyday as the portal to Big Island tourism. Today cruise ships land in Hilo for day trip visits, and there are some direct flights to Hilo, mostly to get up to the volcano I think, but it's nothing at all like the traffic through Kona now.

Incidentally, here's a webcam aimed out the bay from the rooftop of the Pacific Tsunami Museum, at Kalakaua Street, a couple block west of where you took this picture. The Pacific Tsunami Museum Hilo Bay Webcam

Right behind your wife is perhaps the most dangerous location on the Bayfront... Sugar Coast Candy. They have a coconut and macadamia nut brittle that is insane, and a crystallized ginger in dark chocolate that I could probably just keep eating until I died.

And just past that is my favorite Hilo store of all... Dragon Mama. They make and sell authentic Japanese style home furnishings, like tatami mats and traditional futons, and window coverings and noren... those cloth doorway curtains that block casual view of a room but allow for free flow of air... these are extremely practical for Hawaiian homes! Also raku ware, tea sets, decor items, bamboo. If I spent any more time there they'd probably have to put me on the payroll. They are such nice ladies! I have a crush on the owner. Shhhh.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Anyone know what kind of plane that is? Without peeking at references yet, my guess is a Mallard, though I could be all wet about this amphibian.
OK, it was just confirmed to me by PM that indeed it was a Grumman Mallard, a popular interisland amphibian of the postwar era, which didn't require a runway to take off or land, but could use an airport when one was available. Ten passenger capacity, I believe, with two big radial engines.

In the 70s the design was purchased and revived with an upgrade, with more powerful PT-6 turboprop engines, and increased capacity. Many of them were purchased as executive transportation by corporations operating in remote areas.

And now, in a funny bit of synchronicity, it's just been announced that a Texas entrepreneur is planning to manufacture them again, with even more powerful PT-6A engines.

Quote:
The original Grumman Mallard built between 1946 and 1952 was fitted with a pair of Pratt & Whitney R-1340 radial engines. Grumman built 59 in all.
The newly produced Turbine Mallard would use a pair of Pratt & Whitney PT6A engines and modern Rockwell Collins avionics, according to the company's website. Based on preliminary specs, the 21st century Mallard would cruise at 190 knots with a useful load of 5,700 pounds and room for 17 passengers plus two pilots.

Return of the Turbine Mallard? | Flying Magazine

Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
OK, it was just confirmed to me by PM that indeed it was a Grumman Mallard, a popular interisland amphibian of the postwar era, which didn't require a runway to take off or land, but could use an airport when one was available. Ten passenger capacity, I believe, with two big radial engines.

In the 70s the design was purchased and revived with an upgrade, with more powerful PT-6 turboprop engines, and increased capacity. Many of them were purchased as executive transportation by corporations operating in remote areas.

And now, in a funny bit of synchronicity, it's just been announced that a Texas entrepreneur is planning to manufacture them again, with even more powerful PT-6A engines.
Since you love old aviation from Hawai'i uncle? Here is a video of the interisland travel before T.S.A was formed. There is pictures of the big island in the video, once you get past the beginning.

"Come Fly With Me" - Hawaii 1958 - YouTube

Old 02-22-2014, 01:50 PM

For me when I see the old Hawai'i, it isn't going back in time to live for me, its when i see these videos it helps me to appreciate how gorgeous hawai'i is and makes me not want to throw my garbage on the ground. Makes me greatful to experience the garden of eden lol. Makes the Kama'aina in me come out. Thats the point of the threads.

If i could give anyone the best advice to moving to Hawai'i it would be this "when you learn to love the aina(land) everything else will fall into place after that".

Old 02-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Just looked at the first one so far. Though labeled as Kona, I'm pretty sure at least some of that is Hilo.
OK, I see my mistake. The very first link IS for Kona, but the picture under it is for the Old Hilo link, which is what I clicked. I could tell it was Hilo because I recognized several of the streets and building that are still standing. And the dead giveaway, about 1:00 in, is the three sampans that cross from left to right, close to the camera.

The once famous Hilo Sampans (jitney buses) operated from 1922 to 1976, and were open sided 8-passenger jitneys that you could hop on and off of like a bus, and which were much cheaper to ride than a cab. They were manufactured in Hilo, converted from passenger cars with long bench seats running front to back on each side and a high roof.

Ultimately air-conditioned buses with closed sides and air conditioned taxis displaced them entirely, but in their heyday there was a a large fleet of them cruising around the area, just looking for you to flag them down. The name came from an early association with the small boats called ampans that serve as water taxis in many parts of Asia.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Wives are known to kill for posting their pictures!
Luckily, I got one of the good ones. In fact, I got the very best!

Quote:
Nice pic!
Right behind your wife is perhaps the most dangerous location on the Bayfront... Sugar Coast Candy. They have a coconut and macadamia nut brittle that is insane, and a crystallized ginger in dark chocolate that I could probably just keep eating until I died.
It's funny that you mentioned that because right after I took this picture she turned around and said with a beautiful glow on her face, "Mmmmmmm....CANDY!"
My wife LOVES candy!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:38 PM

@OpenD

Ya sorry about the confusion OpenD, Sometimes it loads the whole window with a picture for links of youtube and sometimes it doesn't.

crystallized ginger in dark chocolate ohhhh man sounds soooo ono!

Our bruddah McFrostyJ is blessed.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Aloha Howzit?

You know one thing I have forgotten about The Big Island is that she is gorgeous but also has a wild side. Being the youngest Island she is still growing. So a reality of her wild side is Volcanic eruption and other events. Not only destructive at times but can also be unique and awe inspiring.

Thou not really historic but important in the perception of the Big Island.

Hilo, Hawaii 1960 Tsunami aftermath - YouTube

Shocking Footage of the 2011 Tsunami Hitting Hawaii - YouTube

Hawaii Volcano - 2011 Kamoamoa fissure eruption, six months later - YouTube

Eruption at Kilauea in Hawaii [December 7th, 2011 - VERY GRAPHIC] - YouTube

Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
I first moved to Hilo in 1992 and they had reinvigorated the sampans around then. They were great and they did not last long in their second reincarnation. They were a LOT more fun than the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island