Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Can you post a link? I have no idea what location you're referring to but I want to see. Having spent countless hours looking at aerial photos, I might be able to figure out what it is
In Google Maps locate the intersection of Pineapple Highway and Sea View Drive in Ocean View, Hawaii.

In satellite view follow Pineapple Highway up to where the road splits in the dark cinder field. Follow the left leg. Along that road there are several large collections of what appear to be a few buildings plus large shipping containers and large vehicles and long thin pieces of industrial/agricultural equipment or something.

I don't know if this will work but here's a link to my display of the lower end of the area in question: https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1603.../data=!3m1!1e3

And here's a couple more, further up that road
https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1622.../data=!3m1!1e3

This one looks to me like a gravel pit. It's even clearer in Google Earth.
https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1625.../data=!3m1!1e3

But this is the really oogey-boogey one, where they are tunneling into the underground bunkers... the ones Mangodog tried to warn us about before he... <dun dunnnnnn> disappeared!

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1667.../data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by OpenD; 03-24-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,997 times
Quarrying crushed stone/cinder or whatever they have up there.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Fiftys View Post
The long thin things appear to be mobile conveyor belts used in a quarrying operation or the like.
Yeah, like I said earlier.

I found records for 13 mining operations on the big island, all producing crushed stone, gravel, and/or lava cinder. The ones in Puna are better known.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeah, like I said earlier.

I found records for 13 mining operations on the big island, all producing crushed stone, gravel, and/or lava cinder. The ones in Puna are better known.
Could it be that they are setting up or have setup operations to harness geothermal energy such as volcanoes, hot springs?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Could it be that they are setting up or have setup operations to harness geothermal energy such as volcanoes, hot springs?
Unlikely. There are maps of the known geothermal resources which might be exploited commercially, and this isn't near any of them.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In Google Maps locate the intersection of Pineapple Highway and Sea View Drive in Ocean View, Hawaii.

In satellite view follow Pineapple Highway up to where the road splits in the dark cinder field. Follow the left leg. Along that road there are several large collections of what appear to be a few buildings plus large shipping containers and large vehicles and long thin pieces of industrial/agricultural equipment or something.

I don't know if this will work but here's a link to my display of the lower end of the area in question: https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1603.../data=!3m1!1e3

And here's a couple more, further up that road
https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1622.../data=!3m1!1e3

This one looks to me like a gravel pit. It's even clearer in Google Earth.
https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1625.../data=!3m1!1e3

But this is the really oogey-boogey one, where they are tunneling into the underground bunkers... the ones Mangodog tried to warn us about before he... <dun dunnnnnn> disappeared!

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.1667.../data=!3m1!1e3
Bing is better because it has oblique aerial photos. It actually does look like they're building a tunnel or something Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Yes they are definitely mining something Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

It's not something top secret, otherwise they wouldn't have let Pictometry do the flyovers

Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Now this is weird... Anybody know what this diamond shaped thing is at the military reserve?
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 03-24-2014, 11:16 PM

Looks like a race track to me. I've heard they did training on the 8 wheeled Stryker Light Armored vehicle there, so maybe that's where they shook them out on high speed runs.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Fiftys View Post
Sounds like you nailed it. Do they use lava in concrete, or do they import granite or limestone or similar for concrete?
Lava rock (cinder) is a very poor substitute for aggregate. It doesn't have the strength.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Lava rock (cinder) is a very poor substitute for aggregate. It doesn't have the strength.
I have to agree, the composition of the lava rocks in Hawaii has a high level of metal in it that causes it to rust and crumble fast. Go look at Kauai, all the canyons were solid volcanic rock, also notice the rock is rust colored and crumbles in your hands when you grab it. Thats one reason we have such a bad erosion problem in the islands, they are all made by the same type of lava rock.

Whats spooky is they say Molokai used to be a round island, that an event happened and a huge part of her broke and fell into the sea. I have a great documentary on it, if anyones interested its kinda chik'n skin let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island