Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 PM

252 posts, read 659,936 times

Advertisements

Aloha

Just wondering if anyone on here lives in Nanawale and if you could please give me an update as to what the damages are in the subdivison from Iselle? We have a home over there and our tenants have not been able to really keep in contact with us.

We did purchase and ship our tenants a generator (which they should have by tomorrow night) hopefully should be enough for fridge, a few light and ??. Not sure what a 4,000 watt generator can handle we have never owned one.

Wondering if anyone could tell me how bad the subdivison got hit?

Any estimates on when power may be restored? Has HELCO started working in the development?

I know the sub had a lot of Albeizia trees so I am sure not good.

I guess a tree went down on our lot (not albizea) hubby calls it paper bark (not sure if that is the offical name or not) but I guess it barely missed the side of our home (thank goodness) and took out the power lines to the house. I do realize that there are many power lines down in the area.

Just would like to get a hands on input from someone since we are not there to see for ourselves.

Any update would be appreciated.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Don't you have a property manager? It is required if you don't live in Hawaii.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM

We have someone but of course they are dealing with the same thing with no power and their own issues and we have not been able to get ahold of them. Our residence is Hawaii we are there 9 months out of every year file our taxes in Hawaii etc.

Just wanted to know if someone lived in the sub do give us a hands on update is all.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Sorry, Nanawale got hit bad. Friends were down working in that area today and said its still pretty bad.

The latest I've heard is that Helco says the number without power is down to 6,000 today, but they're still saying that some in the area could be without power another week or more because of the need to rebuild main transmission lines.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:44 PM

That's what I was afraid the case was, so more then likely at least another week minimum without power I suspect.

Well I am sure the tenants will apprecate the generator we sent to them.

Thanks for the reply - much mahalo!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Aloha

Just wondering if anyone on here lives in Nanawale and if you could please give me an update as to what the damages are in the subdivison from Iselle? We have a home over there and our tenants have not been able to really keep in contact with us.

We did purchase and ship our tenants a generator (which they should have by tomorrow night) hopefully should be enough for fridge, a few light and ??. Not sure what a 4,000 watt generator can handle we have never owned one.

Wondering if anyone could tell me how bad the subdivison got hit?

Any estimates on when power may be restored? Has HELCO started working in the development?

I know the sub had a lot of Albeizia trees so I am sure not good.

I guess a tree went down on our lot (not albizea) hubby calls it paper bark (not sure if that is the offical name or not) but I guess it barely missed the side of our home (thank goodness) and took out the power lines to the house. I do realize that there are many power lines down in the area.

Just would like to get a hands on input from someone since we are not there to see for ourselves.

Any update would be appreciated.

Mahalo!
According to the latest news reports, the Nānāwale Estates Community Center is open from 8:30am to 3:30PM to provide bottled water, ice and other supplies to residents affected by the Iselle. Moreover, crews are busy clearing fallen trees and debris and digging utility pole holes there.
Update: 6,600 still without power in Puna -- Hawaii News Now
Hawaiʻi Herald-Tribune: About 6,800 still without power

So far, it appears that electricity is being restored at the rate of approximately 1,000 customers per day. Barring any unforeseen circumstance or difficulties, nearly all HELCO customers should have electricity within a week or so.

On a negative note, some idiot (or idiots) committed acts of vandalism at the Aliʻi Ice Company in Hilo, which was providing ice for the relief efforts in Hilo and Puna.
Alii Ice Co. vandalized, owner shuts down facility | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

And, here's what Billy Kenoi had to say about the ongoing relief efforts this morning…
EXCLUSIVE: Hawaii Island Mayor Billy Kenoi speaks out for first - Hawaii News Now

Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Ali'i Ice is the major if not only source for ice on the island, isn't it? If it isn't the only one, it's probably the biggest one anyway.

Some folks have been upset about ice since most if not all of it has been going to Puna. The Hamakua coast hasn't had an ice shipment this week - at least, that is what the grocery store folks told us. Folks in Hilo who need ice (Puna/Pahoa aren't the only areas out of power) went to Puna to get some and the Puna folks were upset about those Hilo people coming to get "their" ice because they didn't know that all the ice was going to them and nowhere else.

A 4kW (4,000 watt) generator can run a whole house, possibly even two.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Thank you all - very much. I have been searching the internet on updated news etc. So I am somewhat informed as much as can be plus the great updates from here on this forum that I are not listed per say on the internet.

Bummer about the Ice company and the vandalism. What is wrong with people anyways - geesh.

Really a 4,000 watt generator can do all that? I was thinking just fridge and a couple lights.

GREAT! Nice to know, so our tenants should be OK until power is restored.

Much Mahalo,

Old 08-14-2014, 01:53 AM

I'm sorry to say, the latest word is that the count of Puna homes without electricity, earlier reported as down to 6,000, climbed back up to 6,600 Wednesday pm, as new, previously unreported outages came to light.

And now Helco is saying that some areas could be three weeks or more until power is restored to everyone!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm sorry to say, the latest word is that the count of Puna homes without electricity, earlier reported as down to 6,000, climbed back up to 6,600 Wednesday pm, as new, previously unreported outages came to light.

And now Helco is saying that some areas could be three weeks or more until power is restored to everyone!
HELCO's math on this story from yesterday is baffling. They started the day reporting 6,800 customers without power, restored power to 1,500, at one point said they were down to 6,000 without power, then "found" 1,300 more homes without power, and ended up the day with 6,600 without power.

Never mind the atrocious arithmetic, how do you "lose" 1,300 customers for 5 days?

Governor visits Big Island Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island