Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 08:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
whtviper1, what do you know about this?

To get CARES Act funds, airlines were required to maintain service to all cities they served pre-pandemic ...or file a request with the Department of Transportation to terminate service. Airlines looking to suspend service

American Airlines: Service suspended through 8/18/20:

- You may want to be careful booking tickets during this period, mindful that the airlines have gotten permission to not fly, and that you may end up with future credit instead of a cash refund if cancelled. Plus the mess of dealing with all the related bookings.
Dreaming, would you mind sharing where you got this information? Do you know if American is suspending flights to Maui through August 18 as well?

I am booked from OGG to LAX June 2nd on American. When I go to their website I get this cryptic message stating that details about my flight cannot be displayed at this time, and to call. (Booked with points.)

Meanwhile my return flight June 25th (cash) is still shown as a go. I expect it will eventually be cancelled but American is being pretty elusive. I'm sure they don't want to give me a refund and would love it if I cancel.

Just checked again. They are now offering an LAX-DFW-OGG flight: 28+ hours long, or a Hawaiian flight through HNL 8+ hours long, but still won't cancel my original flight even though it's no longer being offered..

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-03-2020 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 09:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
whtviper1, what do you know about this?

To get CARES Act funds, airlines were required to maintain service to all cities they served pre-pandemic ...or file a request with the Department of Transportation to terminate service. Airlines looking to suspend service to/from KOA & ITO, had recently requested flight service exemptions from DOT. Since then, the DOT has approved ALL requests from the airlines to suspend the flights they requested to/from Hawaii, with the last of the decisions coming in on Friday.

DOT Suspended City Service Requests that affect KOA and ITO:

Alaska Airlines: Service suspended through 9/30/20:

-Kona (KOA)

American Airlines: Service suspended through 8/18/20:

-Kona (KOA)

United Airlines: Service suspended through 9/30/20:

-Hilo (ITO)

-Kona (KOA)

Hawaiian Airlines was approved to suspend service to the Mainland through 9/30/20.

It could take weeks or months to restore routes at the end of the service suspension. It is also possible that on October 1st, the airlines may drop some service indefinitely/permanently. We may be dealing with flights to the Island of Hawaii that need to connect through HNL for months to come.

Keep in mind:

- While the airlines have DOT approval to suspend service, they will be very slow to remove flights from their schedule and even more slow to process refunds. In some cases, airlines will continue to sell tickets on flights they have no intention of flying to/from Hawaii, only to cancel it 24-72 hours before scheduled service is due to depart.

- You may want to be careful booking tickets during this period, mindful that the airlines have gotten permission to not fly, and that you may end up with future credit instead of a cash refund if cancelled. Plus the mess of dealing with all the related bookings.
Well - as a former airline executive, whose relationships go beyond multiple airlines, I think I know a lot about this.

However, just because an airline has been approved to suspend service until 9/30 - doesn't mean they will suspend service for that entire time frame. Might it be that long - or longer - sure. Might the State start opening up the State before 9/30 - I think so, but who knows - maybe not. All the Hawaiian Airlines planes sitting on the runways at HNL are being maintained - pilots will get simulator time to keep them current.

If the State drops the quarantine restriction AND there is demand - there will be flights to Hawaii to meet that demand. If the State drops the quarantine - and there is no demand or only enough demand to Oahu and Maui - that is where they will start with non-stops. If not enough demand period, they have the waiver to fall back on and all the airlines file Chapter 11 sometime Oct 1 onward.

If Vegas opens up by June 1 - and residents have relaxed quarantine on arrival back to Hawaii - I'd bet on a Hawaiian Airlines flight being available.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:43 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Dreaming, would you mind sharing where you got this information? Do you know if American is suspending flights to Maui through August 18 as well?

I am booked from OGG to LAX June 2nd on American. When I go to their website I get this cryptic message stating that details about my flight cannot be displayed at this time, and to call. (Booked with points.)

Meanwhile my return flight June 25th (cash) is still shown as a go. I expect it will eventually be cancelled but American is being pretty elusive. I'm sure they don't want to give me a refund and would love it if I cancel.

Just checked again. They are now offering an LAX-DFW-OGG flight: 28+ hours long, or a Hawaiian flight through HNL 8+ hours long, but still won't cancel my original flight even though it's no longer being offered..
Found it posted in a couple of places on FB. Did a little checking around, and it looked valid, but I figured that White Viper would know the facts.

Here's one source: https://beatofhawaii.com/wait-to-get...hts-cancelled/

We are booked on an Alaska Airlines flight from Kona to Seattle on May 22. The flight doesn't show up on their website, just some convoluted ones through Honolulu like you are finding in your search. I called Alaska and they said that my flight hasn't been cancelled. I asked why it didn't show up on their schedule and she said because it's full. She sounded like she really didn't know what she was talking about and I don't trust the information I got. I'll probably be calling again every week.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:

We are booked on an Alaska Airlines flight from Kona to Seattle on May 22. The flight doesn't show up on their website, just some convoluted ones through Honolulu like you are finding in your search. I called Alaska and they said that my flight hasn't been cancelled. I asked why it didn't show up on their schedule and she said because it's full. She sounded like she really didn't know what she was talking about and I don't trust the information I got. I'll probably be calling again every week.
There is almost no chance the nonstop flies.

But, just because a nonstop doesn't go - it isn't necessarily a cancellation.

Getting you to Seattle in a similar time frame with a connection is generally considered a schedule change as you aren't guaranteed the nonstop. It is a nuance of the airline industry which DOT is good with. The schedule change they put you on has to be reasonable (which isn't defined by DOT) - an example of unreasonable is you land in Seattle at Noon - now you don't get there until 9pm - you can generally get back your money for that.

If you don't want to go in May - everyone is waiving change fees.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:36 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:

We are booked on an Alaska Airlines flight from Kona to Seattle on May 22. The flight doesn't show up on their website, just some convoluted ones through Honolulu like you are finding in your search. .

Alaska will not be flying non stop between Kona and the mainland during May. You can take that to the bank. They will be flying out of HNL, however.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:00 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
...However, just because an airline has been approved to suspend service until 9/30 - doesn't mean they will suspend service for that entire time frame.

Alaska is showing flights to outer islands June 1, including Kona. Flight from Seattle to Maui that day is nearly booked to capacity. Needless to say these flights may be subject to cancellation too, as May flights have been.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Alaska is showing flights to outer islands June 1, including Kona. Flight from Seattle to Maui that day is nearly booked to capacity. Needless to say these flights may be subject to cancellation too, as May flights have been.
If the quarantine is lifted - they may fly it. Assuming a crew and plane is available.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:

We are booked on an Alaska Airlines flight from Kona to Seattle on May 22.
Missed the announcement - but Hawaiian Airlines resumed the Honolulu-Seattle daily flight if you need to get to Seattle.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:36 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Missed the announcement - but Hawaiian Airlines resumed the Honolulu-Seattle daily flight if you need to get to Seattle.
Thanks!

We are currently booked on Alaska Airlines from Kona to Seattle. When I look at Alaska website, they show daily flights from Honolulu to Seattle, with a connection on Hawaiian (I think) from Kona to Honolulu. So, it's doable on Alaska, but the extra hop to Honolulu definitely changes timing. Since our direct flight doesn't even show up on their website, I wonder if it is already canceled. I called and they said it didn't show up because it's full.

I might just look to see what Hawaiian has for their schedule.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

We are currently booked on Alaska Airlines from Kona to Seattle. When I look at Alaska website, they show daily flights from Honolulu to Seattle, with a connection on Hawaiian (I think) from Kona to Honolulu. So, it's doable on Alaska, but the extra hop to Honolulu definitely changes timing. Since our direct flight doesn't even show up on their website, I wonder if it is already canceled. I called and they said it didn't show up because it's full.

I might just look to see what Hawaiian has for their schedule.
Alaska hasn't been flying to Kona for awhile now and I don't foresee them doing so in the near future.

This link will show you every departure from Kona including cargo flights - it would appear Delta flying to LA is the only airline flying to the mainland - and it is not everyday.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...koa/departures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island