Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:02 AM

189 posts, read 189,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Thanks Ark. That could make things a lot easier. Most important is us getting there.
We just went through that. We originated in Orlando, flew to D.C., then to LAX, to HNL, and finally arriving in Hilo. No flights arrived in LAX early enough to fly to Hawaii. Therefore, we left the day before and stayed in the LAX airport overnight.

A UAL rep had looked for alternate flights and found this route for us, which was a much better route. Because they canceled the flights, we didn’t have to pay the difference in airfare.

I certainly understand how you feel. We kept worrying and wondering if we’d ever get to Hilo. But we finally made it, arriving April 17 and doing our 14-day quarantine. You and I were planning our move to Hilo around the same time and received lots of help and advice on this forum. We should be receiving our building permit soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 01:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
It will be much easier landing in Hilo. From the Hilo airport to Matson is less than probably three miles if you drive. If they'd let you walk across the runway, it's probably less than 1,000 feet. From Matson in Hilo to Kailua-Kona is over 100 miles one way.

My neighbor just got back from a visit to the Philippines. She has already done the 14 day quarantine so she can visit over the fence now. She said she had a hard time finding a flight home. Starting in the Philippines, she had to fly to Korea, then Chicago, then LAX, then Honolulu and finally to Hawaii island.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It will be much easier landing in Hilo. From the Hilo airport to Matson is less than probably three miles if you drive. If they'd let you walk across the runway, it's probably less than 1,000 feet. From Matson in Hilo to Kailua-Kona is over 100 miles one way.

Although worth pointing out - it is illegal for a quarantine passenger to go to Matson.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:42 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Although worth pointing out - it is illegal for a quarantine passenger to go to Matson.
Right, just looking for trouble attempting to do that.

I think he is planning to hire someone to get vehicle from Matson to Hilo airport parking lot.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I would need to either find someone to bring my car at the airport or find some random person on the street to get my car. I guess it would be a gamble if I ever saw it again.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:19 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I would need to either find someone to bring my car at the airport or find some random person on the street to get my car. I guess it would be a gamble if I ever saw it again.
Have you checked with Matson to see if they will release your vehicle to another designated person?

Old 05-12-2020, 03:42 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Have you checked with Matson to see if they will release your vehicle to another designated person?
They said they could.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:04 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Since you're either renting a house or bought one, can you ask your landlord or Realtor to pick up the car for a fee?

Old 05-13-2020, 10:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
I remember when I was in Alaska we were selling the mother-in-law's house because she was dying of cancer. One day the realtor called us and explained that she was showing the house the following morning and so the driveway needed to be cleared of snow. Mind you, we were an hour away from the house. We told her, your commission is up to $15k on a house that is selling itself, YOU get the driveway cleared. She was taken aback! Shocked! It was unbelievable!

But the driveway got cleared. And the house sold. The realtor probably made $3,000/hour+ unless she cleared the driveway herself. (doubtful)

Old 05-13-2020, 11:27 PM

451 posts, read 412,343 times
Nyfinestbxtf, why don't you contact local Hawai'i island authorities and ask them what is the best
way for your to proceed under your current circumstances? Travel restrictions to the BI might change
between now and the the time you arrive, however I would be careful about running afoul of local
restrictions. The BI is a really small place (population wise), and you will in all likelihood be first
initially characterized as a visitor by residents. Best to have the best available information because
you may be asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island