Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 11:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Although cable and fiber can do gig speeds. The real game changer is 5G. One can get over the air Gig speed with a 5G cell tower
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 12:32 PM

189 posts, read 189,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Was your neighborhood prewired for cable?
Hawaiian Tel high speed internet.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulu5 View Post
Aloha Ahiahi,

First time poster here, awesome help and appreciate the kokua/community. Looking to relocate to Hawaii island from Oahu, and wanting to develop on vacant land. Just wondering if anyone has asked Spectrum to lay cable to their residence. I need high speed internet for work and would be willing to pay for them to lay cables but having a couple issues getting answers:

1 I don’t own the property yet
2 Vacant lands don’t have addresses
3 They need to do a site survey

Just curious if anyone has experience getting this done and about how much it costs per mile assuming there’s no major highways to cross.

Mahalo,

Ulu
Google says about $20,000 per mile.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:49 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Although cable and fiber can do gig speeds. The real game changer is 5G. One can get over the air Gig speed with a 5G cell tower
When the crazies don't burn them down. They are trying to build one near me and the tin foil hat people are already fully spun up.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
When the crazies don't burn them down. They are trying to build one near me and the tin foil hat people are already fully spun up.
I recently had a relative call me from San Francisco to warn me that the coronavirus is just a ruse to allow "the government" to implant tracking devices in us when we receive "the vaccine". She went on to say that the 5G towers were a critical part of the plan and wanted to know how I would protect myself?

When I stated that I wasn't worried at all she acted like I'm one of the gullible sheep.

LOL, that crowd will soon need to wrap their entire bodies in tinfoil!

Old 06-03-2020, 03:17 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I recently had a relative call me from San Francisco to warn me that the coronavirus is just a ruse to allow "the government" to implant tracking devices in us when we receive "the vaccine". She went on to say that the 5G towers were a critical part of the plan and wanted to know how I would protect myself?

When I stated that I wasn't worried at all she acted like I'm one of the gullible sheep.

LOL, that crowd will soon need to wrap their entire bodies in tinfoil!
That's why we see the signs that say "Dr. Fauci and Bill Gates are mass murderers". I like the good old days pre-internet when I didn't know that crazies like this even existed.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Pre-internet they couldn't have existed since everyone shared the same database (TV news and newspapers) and there was no search function to allow folks to only see the news they're interested in. There was also a law against biased news, the news services had to report both sides of any conflicts, but that law was removed a few decades ago. Now what we have are folks who can pick and choose their news very specifically to only hear what they want to hear. Which not only allows them to come up with some crazy ideas (flat earth, anyone?) but to completely believe it. It's a very dangerous and polarizing situation, IMHO.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Pre-internet they couldn't have existed since everyone shared the same database (TV news and newspapers) and there was no search function to allow folks to only see the news they're interested in. There was also a law against biased news, the news services had to report both sides of any conflicts, but that law was removed a few decades ago. Now what we have are folks who can pick and choose their news very specifically to only hear what they want to hear. Which not only allows them to come up with some crazy ideas (flat earth, anyone?) but to completely believe it. It's a very dangerous and polarizing situation, IMHO.
Can't argue with any of this!
When I was growing up it seemed like there were half a dozen conspiracy theories floating around out there (like John Kennedy and Area 51).
Now there are hundreds or maybe thousands and new ones constantly. I can't remember a single one that was ever "proven" to be true, but they persist! This has helped lead to the Balkanization of America along racial, political, and economic lines.

Glad to be here away from the craziness on the mainland.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Yup, there's a lot to be said for being 2,500 miles away from basically everything else. Of course, we have to keep down our own homegrown craziness, but at least it's a smaller problem than in most areas.

Aren't there three basic options for the OP's internet? Spectrum, Hawaiian Tel and some sort of satellite? Is using a cell phone as a hot spot a viable alternative? That's kinda in the satellite realm, tho.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Aren't there three basic options for the OP's internet? Spectrum, Hawaiian Tel and some sort of satellite? Is using a cell phone as a hot spot a viable alternative? That's kinda in the satellite realm, tho.
If you get a cell signal - you can make a hotspot, but it won't be viable for things like Netflix - nor will satellite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island