Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 10:04 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler105 View Post
I've been thinking the same but did not know exact elevations. Thanks for sharing!

My wife and I stayed near Keaau at 500 ft in November, and it's too hot for me. Our german shepherd would also like cooler temperatures. All of us can't live at sea level - too hot. We will check up 800-1000 ft elevation on our upcoming trip.
Elevation and humidity levels will vary a lot depending on which side of the island you are on.
2,500' where I live (Southwest side) is a whole different animal than 2,500' on the East/North/West side. Microclimates play a huge role in comfort level and places only a few miles apart at the same elevation can feel vastly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 11:19 PM

88 posts, read 96,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Elevation and humidity levels will vary a lot depending on which side of the island you are on.
2,500' where I live (Southwest side) is a whole different animal than 2,500' on the East/North/West side. Microclimates play a huge role in comfort level and places only a few miles apart at the same elevation can feel vastly different.
Yeah, I've been reading the same conclusions online.

We also experienced it a lot while driving in Puna and Kau. If I am not mistaken we were driving through Naalehu once from Volcano and vegetation was very dry before Naalehu and then 10 min later or so we saw luscious vegetation. And it stayed luscious all the way to Paradise Meadows Orchard & Bee Farm.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:35 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler105 View Post
I've been thinking the same but did not know exact elevations. Thanks for sharing!

My wife and I stayed near Keaau at 500 ft in November, and it's too hot for me. ..
This past year? Better try at least 1,000 ft. then. November 2019 was indeed unseasonably warm. 2021, I don't think so.

November is statistically the wettest month. If you happen to get one of the 30+ inches in a month stretches, hello Kau!

Old 03-09-2022, 09:34 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
On the news this morning - Hawaii News Now - the only part of Hawaii not under extreme drought is windward Big Island.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:08 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
It does seem drier overall here in Puna. I haven't looked at actual rainfall data but we're having longer dry stretches and then get a good storm that tops off the catchment tank. So even if the average rainfall hasn't changed much, the pattern at which it's delivered is noticeable. That has to have ramifications on the dry side of the island, as you have noted.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:13 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,767,498 times
It's definitely drier in Puna, both measured by average rainfall and frequency of showers.

Over the past 4 months, November was just about perfect- not too dry but far drier than usual.

December was wet, a bit wetter than usual but nothing out of the ordinary.

January was dry-too dry.

February was somewhat like November, adequate rainfall but far drier than usual.

March so far, also far drier than usual. Some areas have had a couple good brief downpours though.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:41 PM

30 posts, read 55,359 times
Only rained one afternoon and the standard quick passing night showers for the last 2 weeks in Orchidland. I've seen years with 200" of rain to 90" a few years ago. Ive noticed probably 50% increase in felt trade winds when I had my lot ripped.

Dave

Old 03-14-2022, 08:06 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Bound View Post
Only rained one afternoon and the standard quick passing night showers for the last 2 weeks in Orchidland. I've seen years with 200" of rain to 90" a few years ago. Ive noticed probably 50% increase in felt trade winds when I had my lot ripped.

Dave
Have you noticed a change in the coquis? I haven't heard them in awhile and it hasn't been cold enough for that to be the reason. The only thing I can think of is that despite our best efforts to keep them in the orchard, the turkeys keep coming around the house. I've seen the chickens eating coquis, I've never seen a turkey do it but I don't spend a lot of time watching them. They can certainly reach much higher than chickens can.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Might be lack of water? There's a few coqui here down the Hamakua coast, but not as many as usual. Maybe some sort of virus has taken them all out? We could wish!

Friend of mine told me today that the Oahu Board of Water Supply is hoping to get folks to use either 10% or 20% less water for the summer. Oahu overbuilt their water table years ago, but apparently there's drought conditions which are gonna cause even more trouble. Some friends on Oahu who have water catchment are down to just a few feet of water in their tank and they're not where they can get water delivered, if they even deliver water on Oahu?

Old 03-15-2022, 09:21 AM

30 posts, read 55,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Have you noticed a change in the coquis? I haven't heard them in awhile and it hasn't been cold enough for that to be the reason. The only thing I can think of is that despite our best efforts to keep them in the orchard, the turkeys keep coming around the house. I've seen the chickens eating coquis, I've never seen a turkey do it but I don't spend a lot of time watching them. They can certainly reach much higher than chickens can.

Well I can say that the coquis have been quieter without the rains to keep them happy. When it is dry like it has been, I've had to evict a couple that somehow make it into the house in search of water and are usually found in the bathroom or kitchen near the sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island