Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 09:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Some friends on Oahu who have water catchment are down to just a few feet of water in their tank and they're not where they can get water delivered, if they even deliver water on Oahu?
I didn't even know such a thing existed.

It hasn't really rained since early January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 01:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Have you noticed a change in the coquis? I haven't heard them in awhile and it hasn't been cold enough for that to be the reason. The only thing I can think of is that despite our best efforts to keep them in the orchard, the turkeys keep coming around the house. I've seen the chickens eating coquis, I've never seen a turkey do it but I don't spend a lot of time watching them. They can certainly reach much higher than chickens can.
Lack of rain is definitely a contributor.

Additionally, even during the wet month of December it seems to me that the coqui population has slightly dropped off this year.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:01 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Friend of mine told me today that the Oahu Board of Water Supply is hoping to get folks to use either 10% or 20% less water for the summer. Oahu overbuilt their water table years ago, but apparently there's drought conditions which are gonna cause even more trouble. Some friends on Oahu who have water catchment are down to just a few feet of water in their tank and they're not where they can get water delivered, if they even deliver water on Oahu?
Oahu lost it's largest supply of water. I don't know if they got it back: https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/us/ho...ahu/index.html

Does Oahu have public spigots like the BI? In Alaska the public could get water at designated fire stations. My plan if I ran out of water and couldn't get delivery would be to get 50 gallons at a time using 5-gallon buckets (about $3 each at Walmart) until it rained again or we could get delivery. I could just dump them into the tank. We've never run out of water and have an additional 2,000 gallons in a tank we've never had to use so I couldn't even imagine the type of drought that would take.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:46 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
This drought stinks, but my timing is worse. I chose to convert my guest house into an Air BnB and opened a commercial nursery this year so my water usage has been heavy. I have two 20k tanks, but ones empty and I'm hauling water just to keep the other at half full. Might be time to invest in a water truck.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:17 AM

88 posts, read 96,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
This drought stinks, but my timing is worse. I chose to convert my guest house into an Air BnB and opened a commercial nursery this year so my water usage has been heavy. I have two 20k tanks, but ones empty and I'm hauling water just to keep the other at half full. Might be time to invest in a water truck.
Bummer.

Is this drought in all parts of BI?

Old 03-16-2022, 09:14 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler105 View Post
Bummer.

Is this drought in all parts of BI?
Yes. Worse on Maui though. https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...onitor.aspx?HI

Old 03-17-2022, 09:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Where are you at? Is a well an option, at least for the nursery needs? I remember one time after a long "drought" our catchment tank was low and there was a single day in the forecast with some rain so I jury rigged some cheap plastic gutters so the water runoff from our 20x20 HPM tarp carport would add nearly 400 square feet of water gathering capability to our "water system" and it helped catch quite a bit more water.

The formula is square feet of roofing X rainfall (in inches or fractions) X 0.623 = gallons of water harvested. So a 20x20 tarp can harvest over 62 gallons of water with only a quarter inch of rain.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:31 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Where are you at? Is a well an option, at least for the nursery needs? I remember one time after a long "drought" our catchment tank was low and there was a single day in the forecast with some rain so I jury rigged some cheap plastic gutters so the water runoff from our 20x20 HPM tarp carport would add nearly 400 square feet of water gathering capability to our "water system" and it helped catch quite a bit more water.

The formula is square feet of roofing X rainfall (in inches or fractions) X 0.623 = gallons of water harvested. So a 20x20 tarp can harvest over 62 gallons of water with only a quarter inch of rain.
Located in Oceanview, so already a dry part of the island. I have 2 20k tanks, so when we have rain, I store plenty. But with the nursery and guest usage, I now have to haul a bit of supplemental water just so I don't start getting nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island