Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM

106 posts, read 241,246 times

Advertisements

If you have gotten a Green Cheek Conure instead of a Sun Conure, you wouldn't be having all these issues you've dealing with, and on top of that, all that LOUD Sun Conure noises for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
If you have gotten a Green Cheek Conure instead of a Sun Conure,
Yea but are they paint-able? Sun Conure are the prettiest birds. The only major draw backs I know of is how loud they are and they are far less likely to talk. I don't live in a apartment complex, so I can be really loud and no one will complain. Nearest Neighbor is 300 feet away, then 400, then 800. The baby doesn't seem to be bothered by the bird so far.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Yeah, they are pretty paint-able.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I'm not making a big deal of clipping her wings, I just will not do it. Her feathers will grow back in time and she will fly once again.
You are doing her a grave disservice by allowing her to fly and don't even realize it. You've been VERY lucky so far.

It's more than a door opening. It's also leaving a toilet without the lid down, where the bird could easily drown. It's also falling behind things, like the refrigerator. I'm sure you don't have ceiling fans on, which could decapitate your friend. Have you considered she may decide to fly full-force, head first into a window or mirror and not only crash to the ground, but become permanently paralyzed AT BEST, if she doesn't incur brain damage and have nearly constant seizures? (You do know that birds don't know what windows are and can't see/comprehend glass will stop them abruptly?)

Your bird NEEDS to have her flight feathers clipped and you NEED to get rid of that non-stick cookware. All it takes is one pot to heat to too high a temperature or some food to burn and poof - even with the vent hood on, you just killed your bird.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
You are doing her a grave disservice by allowing her to fly and don't even realize it. You've been VERY lucky so far.

(You do know that birds don't know what windows are and can't see/comprehend glass will stop them abruptly?)
She only comes out at night, so she doesn't fly into windows. Most of the windows have binds anyway. Yes I have fans and they are off when the bird is out. It's not like the cage is open all day and she flies at will. She's out an hour, 2 at the most at night and living room to the kitchen is where she mostly flies.

Quote:
Your bird NEEDS to have her flight feathers clipped and you NEED to get rid of that non-stick cookware.
We have her for two years now, She been flying for at least a year. Can she potentially injury herself and while flying, Absolutely. But I've taken some precautions. The same could be said with leaving your home everyday to drive to work. It's Dangerous out there, perhaps you should stay home all the time where it's nice and safe. I think there's a quality of life issue to be considered. I think if your bird reason/talk, she would tell you she rather have some independence and be able to fly than to be safe all the time.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
I think there's a quality of life issue to be considered. I think if your bird reason/talk, she would tell you she rather have some independence and be able to fly than to be safe all the time.
If your bird could reason/talk, she'd probably tell you Mother Nature didn't design her to live in captivity. However, since we do indeed keep birds in captivity, certain modifications need to be made to ensure their safety and as a pet bird owner, it's your responsibility to make sure these things are done. Your bird's quality of life is enhanced by having fun toys to play with, which are rotated on a frequent basis to prevent boredom and by having as much time as possible to interact with their human flock, NOT by flying.

Kudos for wanting to do the right thing, reading a couple of books and taking some precautions, but you haven't even learned the basics. This is evident by your ridiculous gerbil remark, that you didn't know the importance of the step-up command or what it is for, that she eats too many nuts - yet you continue to feed her "birdie candy" (and make no mention of all the fresh fruits and vegetables you give her daily that she loves), and you posted about trimming your bird's beak which, in a healthy bird, shouldn't need to be done. It's also evident by your using non-stick cookware and not having your bird's flight feathers clipped.

I'm almost afraid to ask what will happen if your very smart bird realizes the baby gets a lot of your attention instead of her and becomes jealous? What if she flies over and bites the baby?? What if the baby then becomes afraid of the bird and cries whenever the bird is visible?

What did your avian vet say??? Surely you discussed trimming your bird's flight feathers with him/her?

Don't take my word about it. Read up on it here, here, here, and here.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Just to add a personal experience to the flight debate. I adopted a bird who was fully flighted, the previous owner had never clipped his wings. I had a cockatoo and a macaw, and always kept their wings clipped on the advice of our bird vet.

Since the adopted bird had never had his wings clipped I was afraid it would be traumatic for him, so I didn't clip them. Only a few months after I adopted him he flew into a wall, broke his neck and died. That has been more than ten years ago and I can't tell you how horrific that experience was. I learned a lesson then but it was too late for Mr. Curly.

I thought he was safe because there were no windows in the room where we let him fly, but he flew into the wall. If someone can learn from my experience it is worth sharing this sad story.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:42 AM

{{{missik}}} How devastating. I'm sorry for your loss.

I can't even count how many similar stories I've heard over the years. Each and every one is heartbreaking - for the bird and their humans.

Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
She only comes out at night, so she doesn't fly into windows.
What do you think of my pictures above?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Quote:
{{{missik}}} How devastating. I'm sorry for your loss.

I can't even count how many similar stories I've heard over the years. Each and every one is heartbreaking - for the bird and their humans.

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I don't share sad experiences except when I hope others can learn from them.

I truly thought it was all right to leave the bird's wings unclipped since he was used to it in his previous home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds