Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
Thanks, I am al about rehoming. You can get great pets that way. Haven't made my choice yet. There will be babies soon at this bird store...unless I find a rehomed one. However most of the people that rehome want the high amount of money as a baby.
It may be just as much as a fledgling or weanling, but you'd be saving a life. Adoption is a much better route. And it means someone else has already dealt with the bird's 'terrible twos' so to speak so you don't get the biting and pissy attitude.

I'm not sure where you are in TX, so I used the Ft Worth zip as the base for the search on Petfinder and found tons of bird rescues in the state.

Wings of Love Bird Haven in Red Oak, TX seems to have quite a few and several species. They are also looking for fosters, so maybe you could offer to foster a bird for them and see how that goes first? Just contact them and tell them you're thinking of adopting but not certain yet and are interested in fostering a bird of the species you're thinking of adopting. They'll probably jump at the chance. And you may decide fostering is a better choice for you. You can have many birds with different personalities and learn about them for a while, all the time helping save lives, until that one perfect bird for you comes along!

When Alice said they have an ear piercing scream, she wasn't playing. Our B&G used to wake us up at 5 in the morning and your ears would ring. It was unbearable. And they don't stop because you have a headache or don't feel well. And if I remember correctly - and it's true of my quaker and lovebird - they have times of the day where all they do is scream and you can't stop it. It's just their chatty time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 AM

16 posts, read 29,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
Thanks, I am al about rehoming. You can get great pets that way. Haven't made my choice yet. There will be babies soon at this bird store...unless I find a rehomed one. However most of the people that rehome want the high amount of money as a baby.
Here is a link you can go to Parrots-R-4Ever Avian Rescue and Sanctuary, Inc.
Contact the Macawman. Dave can answer any question you may have on the Blue & Gold and the Green wing. He has several kinds of macaws. This is a very good resecue and they really care about the birds. Just make sure you let him know that you are a current bird owner. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:56 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,470 times
Great news everyone...and thanks for the posts too! We aquired a 4 year old female greenwing macaw over the weekend. She is beautiful and was tamed. She was given back to the breeder about two months ago and the breeder didn't have time to work with her for those two months. However, we got her on Saturday and as of yesterday she was talking and enjoying the head and body scratching.

From what I know she does like my husband more then me, however she has stepped up on my arm only to get to her cage and she does allow me by the cage and to feed her. The hubby talks to her and scratches her, I feed and talk to her and rub her beak. As I think we are all testing the waters. However I am sure enough we will have her tamed and part of the family unit soon. My other bird completely loves her and is completely friendly with her. She is still a little unsure of him. But she was around other birds. I will figure out how to post pictures on here in a moment....never done that before.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,470 times

The last my little show off. He knew I had the camera.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 18,738 times
I have 2 blue and golds and 2 scarlets,I find the blue and golds more fun loving and gentle.My scarlets love to fight with each other all the time. I hand fed 3 of the 4. They do scream at times but also can be very loving and fun to have. They are like having 4 little kids in the house. Lot's of work! But a joy if you are a macaw lover. They need lots of time and care.Not a good bird if it is your first! But great birds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds