Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,063 times

Advertisements

Any comments or info concerning buying in Fairfield, Al ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
If you are just totally opposed to renting, you are likely going to be better off getting a cheap condo near UAB. While home values are relatively low in the Birmingham metro, this is still a mid-sized city with a lot of homes over $400k - The point being, anything under $50k is going to be very far from livable or in a pretty nasty area. You absolutely do not want to be in Alabaster and try to drive to UAB.

There are quite a few 1-bedroom condos within 10 minutes of UAB for under $90k.

Some examples here:

57 Hanover Cir UNIT 114, Birmingham, AL 35205 | MLS 732319 | Listing Information

2625 Highland Ave UNIT 309, Birmingham, AL 35205 | MLS 634130 | Listing Information

3350 S Altamont Rd UNIT C2, Birmingham, AL 35205 | MLS 737178 | Listing Information

Old 01-29-2016, 05:42 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey-Jones View Post
Any comments or info concerning buying in Fairfield, Al ?
Fairfield is a mess right now. High crime, terrible schools, and property values have plummeted. I wouldn't look for a turn around anytime soon, though you can probably get property for pennies on the dollar there now. I know my grandmother lived in a pretty decent home in the Glen Oaks neighborhood in Fairfield and houses there are selling for less than half of what they were selling for 20 years ago... and the decline had already started then.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:26 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Fairfield is a mess right now. High crime, terrible schools, and property values have plummeted. I wouldn't look for a turn around anytime soon, though you can probably get property for pennies on the dollar there now. I know my grandmother lived in a pretty decent home in the Glen Oaks neighborhood in Fairfield and houses there are selling for less than half of what they were selling for 20 years ago... and the decline had already started then.
Just last year I was driving around that area and thought it was a nice pocket. To the op, unless you like living in semi crappy houses, you 30K will get you a house, but then you won't have any $$ to fix it up.

Also be aware of the right of redemption. Doesn't happen often, but if it did it could be a problem.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The OP is from a few years back. What can be frustrating is the way entire areas get named as dodgy just because of a small part of it. Centerpoint Parkway is a disaster, but the homes on the hills around it are quite safe and can be had for a song. There was a poster here from Bessemer who was regularly beating that same drum.

I think the real issue is that failed commercial enterprises are allowed to stand vacant for years, creating eyesores and driving down property values in the entire area. I remember that Homestead Florida had a way of dealing with this in the downtown area by putting artwork over the entrances to abandoned structures. It looked quite nice and made it much more friendly and comfortable being there. That is impossible to do on a long strip like Centerpoint Parkway, but zoning could get rid of some of the worst of it.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Fairfield does have some nice neighborhoods and for someone just looking to live and not to profit, not to expect to flip and grow rich...it could make perfect sense as you could probably get a lot of house for very little money compared to other areas.

the only problem with that is the city is probably going to go bankrupt here pretty soon. Services like police, fire and trash pickup are most likely going to be spotty and inconsistent to maybe non-existant in the near future. They'll most likely need to shut it down and allow themselves to be annexed into Birmingham.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Fairfield does have some nice neighborhoods and for someone just looking to live and not to profit, not to expect to flip and grow rich...it could make perfect sense as you could probably get a lot of house for very little money compared to other areas.

the only problem with that is the city is probably going to go bankrupt here pretty soon. Services like police, fire and trash pickup are most likely going to be spotty and inconsistent to maybe non-existant in the near future. They'll most likely need to shut it down and allow themselves to be annexed into Birmingham.
I have few rentals, one in B'hm and one in Midfield. I am driving there this Friday to look and hopefully get a few more. What neighorhoods do you like?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM

I think the area near Forest Hills Elementary that Milstead Rd runs through the middle of is decent. There are some newer homes there and plenty that look like they were built in the late 70s early 80s that the people there seem to keep up.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think the area near Forest Hills Elementary that Milstead Rd runs through the middle of is decent. There are some newer homes there and plenty that look like they were built in the late 70s early 80s that the people there seem to keep up.
Did you mean Glen Oaks school? If so one of my rentals is 2 blocks away on 3rd. I am 2 houses away from that newer development and yes it is kept up well. It's the reason I bought it.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:51 PM

Maybe. I've never paid much attention to the schools name but that was off of mapquest. I know that is the name of the road though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area