Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,272 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the great advice. We bought a beautiful home on Lake Lay last week and we close on October 21st at which time we will move in. It turns out that we know a couple from high school that live on Lay Lake and we will have a good start with having local friends. The home is on the east side of the lake and has a Sylacauga address. After looking at many homes for sale, this one just knocked our socks off and we just pulled the trigger.
We are so determined to become good citizens of Alabama and the more conservative, the better.The liberal agenda in California was one of the factors that drove us out of there. We so much look forward to everything Alabama has to offer us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
bbursik - pleased you're moving to Alabama! I think you'll really enjoy lake living - I know I did when living on Pickwick Lake (Tennessee River). Lots of nature - most bugs and snakes are more annoying or interesting than dangerous (after identification). Bonus: you're only a few hours from the beautiful Gulf beaches.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:56 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbursik View Post
Thanks for the great advice. We bought a beautiful home on Lake Lay last week and we close on October 21st at which time we will move in. It turns out that we know a couple from high school that live on Lay Lake and we will have a good start with having local friends. The home is on the east side of the lake and has a Sylacauga address. After looking at many homes for sale, this one just knocked our socks off and we just pulled the trigger.
We are so determined to become good citizens of Alabama and the more conservative, the better.The liberal agenda in California was one of the factors that drove us out of there. We so much look forward to everything Alabama has to offer us.
Congratulations!
FYI - do not speed in Harpersville:>)

Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just saw this thread on the overview page, I don't have any interest in Alabama. Still, I was wondering if a Californian could be happy in Alabama. Isn't it culturally a pretty different world? Much more conservative...
Fortunately you are clueless:>) What is liberal in CA once you hit the stage of family, kids, mortgage, jobs? SOS just a bit more house poor.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:03 PM

236 posts, read 789,355 times
Quote:
Just saw this thread on the overview page, I don't have any interest in Alabama. Still, I was wondering if a Californian could be happy in Alabama. Isn't it culturally a pretty different world? Much more conservative...
I grew up in Birmingham and have been in Los Angeles over a decade. I didn't find the adjustment after my move to be that difficult, and my life isn't that much different here than it was there. I eat, sleep, work, hang out with friends, work out, etc.. I get the question in reverse from people in California, and I always find it amusing.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM

182 posts, read 901,126 times
Congratulations on the home purchase bbursik. I hope you enjoy living in Alabama as much as I did.

Quote:
I am a Southern Californian born and bred (pretty liberal to boot). I moved to Birmingham in 2005 having never been to the South before and I loved it. IMO, Birmingham has pretty much everything one could need.

Pretty moderate climate all year round. So it gets a little chilly in Jan-Feb and you get 2 months of hot and humid in the summer. I thought I would have a harder time adjusting coming from CA but it wasn't that bad. I just didn't go out much in July/Aug.

Affordable - You could live like a King or Queen in Birmingham for much less than anywhere in CA.

Food - Plenty of fantastic places to eat. There are some really great chefs in Birmingham.

Things to do - Plenty of things going on to keep one busy. Just pick up a Black and White and see. I particularly enjoy Art on the Rocks at the art museum in the summertime. Farmers markets, festivals, art galleries, wine tasting, concerts, theater....

Location - I don't like to be too far away from the Ocean or Mountains and I found that the ocean was close enough to go for the weekend and if you ask me, the beautiful, warm water and powder white sand at the Gulf beats the Pacific. You want mountains, then it's just a few hours to the Smokies.

Its close proximity to other great cities was an added bonus. Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, etc. I enjoyed checking out all these plus New Orleans, Greenville (SC) Savannah, Destin, St. Augustine, etc.

Cons - No Nordstrom or Trader Joe’s. Nordstrom was supposed to move into the Galleria in 2012 but something happened and they pulled out of the deal. If you need a Trader Joes fix just drive over to Atlanta for the day like I did. They have 6 there last I checked. But they have a Whole Foods and a Fresh Market which I enjoyed.

I did recently move back to Southern California after living in Birmingham for 6 years but that was only because my job was relocated and I missed living near my family who are here in CA.

Take if from a once closed-minded "california is the only place on the planet" girl, the South is a fantastic place to live. Course I should probably keep mum about it. I would hate for too many Californians to flock there and ruin it.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM

213 posts, read 404,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post
Congratulations on the home purchase bbursik. I hope you enjoy living in Alabama as much as I did.

I am a Southern Californian born and bred (pretty liberal to boot). I moved to Birmingham in 2005 having never been to the South before and I loved it. IMO, Birmingham has pretty much everything one could need.

Pretty moderate climate all year round. So it gets a little chilly in Jan-Feb and you get 2 months of hot and humid in the summer. I thought I would have a harder time adjusting coming from CA but it wasn't that bad. I just didn't go out much in July/Aug.

Affordable - You could live like a King or Queen in Birmingham for much less than anywhere in CA.

Food - Plenty of fantastic places to eat. There are some really great chefs in Birmingham.

Things to do - Plenty of things going on to keep one busy. Just pick up a Black and White and see. I particularly enjoy Art on the Rocks at the art museum in the summertime. Farmers markets, festivals, art galleries, wine tasting, concerts, theater....

Location - I don't like to be too far away from the Ocean or Mountains and I found that the ocean was close enough to go for the weekend and if you ask me, the beautiful, warm water and powder white sand at the Gulf beats the Pacific. You want mountains, then it's just a few hours to the Smokies.

Its close proximity to other great cities was an added bonus. Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, etc. I enjoyed checking out all these plus New Orleans, Greenville (SC) Savannah, Destin, St. Augustine, etc.

Cons - No Nordstrom or Trader Joe’s. Nordstrom was supposed to move into the Galleria in 2012 but something happened and they pulled out of the deal. If you need a Trader Joes fix just drive over to Atlanta for the day like I did. They have 6 there last I checked. But they have a Whole Foods and a Fresh Market which I enjoyed.

I did recently move back to Southern California after living in Birmingham for 6 years but that was only because my job was relocated and I missed living near my family who are here in CA.

Take if from a once closed-minded "california is the only place on the planet" girl, the South is a fantastic place to live. Course I should probably keep mum about it. I would hate for too many Californians to flock there and ruin it.
Thanks for posting that. We too find Birmingham to be a great place and really like living here (we came from the D.C. area).

In our travels around the country we have found so much stereotypical putting down of this city and state that it's refreshing to hear someone from California describing what a good experience they had here.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 AM

52 posts, read 98,249 times
I always laugh at people that are so puzzled to how I can live in Birmingham versus where they live.(Chicago, NY, D.C.,etc.). I have lived other places and my life is the same anywhere I go. Work, kids, dinner/lake with friends, church, and do it all over again.
I understand if you talking when you 20 and wanting a nightlife and more activities, but things change for most when you settle down. I talk to my friends that live in these big cities, and I ask what they did this weekend? They say, "oh, we went out to eat with friends and hung out with family." The exact same thing I did.
I also like these cities and understand they do have some advantages over smaller cities like Birmingham. I understand why many fit better in these cities, but I don't understand when they act shocked that I can be happy living in Birmingham. It is pretty funny.
I enjoy going to visit Chicago, D.C., andy NYC every couple of years, but it isn't for me to live there. I am not like some so shocked that others do enjoy living there. To each his own.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post
Congratulations on the home purchase bbursik.

Coming from another Californian, I personally find at least 3, and often 5 months of the summer to be above my acceptance for doing anything too active outside. But then, I have little problem with the winter. Perhaps its that I'm from the Bay Area, and not Socal. Everybody's thermostat is different.

But the part about some people in California being close-minded about Alabama is totally true. Of course, there are some truths about people's ideas, but at least as many misconceptions or general narrow-mindedness about what are ok ways for people to find their happiness. (Although not everyone back home is like this!)

Last edited by bluebeard; 11-02-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 PM

52 posts, read 98,249 times
I love San Francisco, but the weather was rough. What was it that Twain said, "the coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco." Something like that. House on Nan King or something like that was one of the best places I had ever eaten. New Delhi over on Ellis?? was some of the best Indian I had ever had. Cool place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area