Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,479 times

Advertisements

This thread has been super helpful, I figured I should get some suggestions too!

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?
Will be working at UAB. As far as commute, I've been spoiled and have enjoyed a 1.5 mile commute from downtown Memphis to campus over the past 4 years. I love the feel of downtown Memphis (beautiful river views) but I don't get the same vibe in Birmingham, therefore I'm "open" to living outside of the city. With preferably no more than a 15 minute commute (sans traffic).

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?
Would like to stay under $1100-1200/month

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?
N/A

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?
Although I do love living downtown, I miss the accessibility to shopping, malls, gyms, and even the closest Target is a 15 minute drive. So I would like to be closer to more amenities such as those. One of the perks to downtown Memphis was that I could walk to the riverside parks, so some sort of park/lake/river close by would be nice.

5) Do you have special medical needs?
N/A

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

Would love a sense of community but I don't really care!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust625 View Post
This thread has been super helpful, I figured I should get some suggestions too!

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?
Will be working at UAB. As far as commute, I've been spoiled and have enjoyed a 1.5 mile commute from downtown Memphis to campus over the past 4 years. I love the feel of downtown Memphis (beautiful river views) but I don't get the same vibe in Birmingham, therefore I'm "open" to living outside of the city. With preferably no more than a 15 minute commute (sans traffic).

Would like to stay under $1100-1200/month

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?
N/A

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?
Although I do love living downtown, I miss the accessibility to shopping, malls, gyms, and even the closest Target is a 15 minute drive. So I would like to be closer to more amenities such as those. One of the perks to downtown Memphis was that I could walk to the riverside parks, so some sort of park/lake/river close by would be nice.

N/A

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

Would love a sense of community but I don't really care!

Thanks in advance!
I would take a look at apartments near Railroad Park (walking distance to UAB) and also in the Highland Park neighborhood which is near Highland Avenue between about 26th and 34th Street (5 minute drive to UAB). If being right by a park isn't that important, you can broaden your search into more of Birmingham's Southside. There are a lot of pretty nice places to live that are brand new which are probably right around $1200 for a 1 bedroom.

There are also a ton of apartments in Homewood that would put you closer to traditional suburbia if that's what you want. Brookwood Mall has a Target, is in Homewood and is about 8-10 minutes to UAB. Homewood is also likely to be a touch cheaper than the areas around Railroad Park because your choices will be older.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I would take a look at apartments near Railroad Park (walking distance to UAB) and also in the Highland Park neighborhood which is near Highland Avenue between about 26th and 34th Street (5 minute drive to UAB). If being right by a park isn't that important, you can broaden your search into more of Birmingham's Southside. There are a lot of pretty nice places to live that are brand new which are probably right around $1200 for a 1 bedroom.

There are also a ton of apartments in Homewood that would put you closer to traditional suburbia if that's what you want. Brookwood Mall has a Target, is in Homewood and is about 8-10 minutes to UAB. Homewood is also likely to be a touch cheaper than the areas around Railroad Park because your choices will be older.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I've been in contact with a couple of owners with available units at Bristol Southside and Liv on Fifth...any word on the area around or reputation of these condominium/loft complexes?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust625 View Post
Thanks! I appreciate it. I've been in contact with a couple of owners with available units at Bristol Southside and Liv on Fifth...any word on the area around or reputation of these condominium/loft complexes?
Both are nice. I owned a condo at Bristol Southside and enjoyed living there. There is a pool at Bristol Southside but not at Liv on Fifth, if that matters to you.

Bristol is more traditional mid-late 2000s condo construction while Liv on Fifth is more loft/industrial finishes.

I preferred Bristol and thought it was in a slightly better location for walkability for things I needed to do, but your mileage may vary.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 7,741 times
Moobcinos- I live near the area you will be working in. If you want to msg me I'd be glad to help you any way I can as far as learning the area or questions you may have.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby376 View Post
What a godsend you are! I'm from the Northeast and my husband is from Birmingham. We lived on Highland Avenue about 15 years ago prekids, and loved it. Now we have a big family and are considering moving back. Can you help?
1) Husband will be working downtown and doesn't want a long commute
2) 250k
3) Children - probably the most important piece. They are intellectually curious, artistic. A place like Trussville would squash them, I think.
4) We love the arts, good food

What I want is a place where people who lived in Southside moved to raise families. Not too wealthy. People who love beauty. I was thinking Crestwood or Homewood, based on what the place was like 15 years ago. Any other ideas? Anything specific would be incredibly helpful. Thank you!
Homewood is great but as someone already mentioned the 250K won't get you much in Homewood in the form of size of your home. Vestavia or Hoover (where my family lives) may be good options. Feel free to msg me if you have specific questions or would like to help me connect you with anyone in the school systems to help guide you on what they can offer.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,453 times
I am getting out of the military and me and my family will be moving to Birmingham. We are from Atlanta and wanted to return there, but the job opportunity was in Birmingham. Me and my wife have never been to Birmingham before and know nothing of the area. From research, we think Hoover, Alabaster, and Pelham are good areas, but we really are unsure.

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting? The job is in McCalla and I am open to up to a 40 minute commute.

We would like to buy a 3 bed room, 2 bathroom for 175,000. We will only be able to house hunt for five days in early June, so we are really trying to narrow down the areas so we can quickly find a house.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs? We have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. No educational needs and we plan on homeschooling until either middle school or high school.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all? We enjoy minor league baseball games, outdoor parks, relaxing. We are really open to anything that is cheap and gets us out of the house.

We do not.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care? We don't care.

From our research, we think that Hoover, Pelham, and Alabaster are good. Our main question is how McCalla is. While our kids are not going to elementary school, we do always look at school ratings to try to get a feel of the area and saw that the schools aren't great, but we have found houses we like in McCalla. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old 05-18-2016, 03:59 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdale0877 View Post
I am getting out of the military and me and my family will be moving to Birmingham. We are from Atlanta and wanted to return there, but the job opportunity was in Birmingham. Me and my wife have never been to Birmingham before and know nothing of the area. From research, we think Hoover, Alabaster, and Pelham are good areas, but we really are unsure.

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting? The job is in McCalla and I am open to up to a 40 minute commute.

We would like to buy a 3 bed room, 2 bathroom for 175,000. We will only be able to house hunt for five days in early June, so we are really trying to narrow down the areas so we can quickly find a house.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs? We have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. No educational needs and we plan on homeschooling until either middle school or high school.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all? We enjoy minor league baseball games, outdoor parks, relaxing. We are really open to anything that is cheap and gets us out of the house.

We do not.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care? We don't care.

From our research, we think that Hoover, Pelham, and Alabaster are good. Our main question is how McCalla is. While our kids are not going to elementary school, we do always look at school ratings to try to get a feel of the area and saw that the schools aren't great, but we have found houses we like in McCalla. Thanks for any help you can provide!

1.) Well, we were talking about an area I jokingly refer to as the cutoff in another thread (it is mostly Bessemer, but it is the area closest to McCalla and Helena) where there is a lot of newer construction and the homes are cheaper BECAUSE it isn't in Hoover. $175k is possible in Hoover, Pelham and Alabaster but you might get a bit more house in the Cutoff. When the kiddies get old enough for school, you will probably want to be in Hoover, Helena or Pelham. Traffic is tough in all those areas for commuting but Hoover, Pelham and Alabaster give you more options and easier access to 65 and 31. Helena is stuck behind 2 lane county roads and railroad tracks. Deep Alabaster to McCalla will push 40min some days. Once you get on 459 you can boogie, the tricky part is getting to it some days.

2.) The housing market is pretty warm here, maybe hot. You will find things to look at but it will be fluid.

3.) Covered.

4.) You will love Barons baseball, Railroad park, Red Mountain Park, Oak Mountain Park...city festivals in Alabaster, Pelham and Helena. There are plenty of outdoorsy family friendly things to do that are free/cheap.

5.) But if you do or need it. Medical care is great here. Hospitals all over with highly trained pros.

6.) You can have as much or as little interaction as you want.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:26 PM

I would definitely look at Mccalla itself. The neighborhoods off of 459 exit 1 will provide you a 3br/2ba home in the 175k range and you will be looking at a very short commute. There is a decent mix of people living in this area. A lot of working and middle class families. These areas are generally safe and family friendly.

You would be looking at about a 25-30 minute commute into the heart of the city to enjoy what it offers, but realistically, with your family and needs, you may only be doing this a handful of times a month.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:17 AM

30 posts, read 40,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdale0877 View Post

We do not.

McCalla will get you a newer home than possibly in Hoover. It is a growing area but schools tend to be a resale problem for some. Hoover would allow you good schools and easy access to 459/31 but a home at $175 will be harder to come by than say Alabaster which would have plenty and is looking to grow soon. Commute from Alabaster would be longer of course. Helena as someone mentioned as one way in and out basically but depending on where you work in McCalla you could take some back roads to work and Helena would allow you to find a home for $175K. Just look at the Helena area closest to McCalla and check out drive times. I live in Hoover so feel free to msg me if you have a question about the area or areas around me.
Oak Mountain Park and baseball games are near all the communities mentioned. you can't go wrong in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area