Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 10,378 times

Advertisements

Seems like there are more chain restaurants in this area. Many called 'grills.' I usually run from those. I detest the 'limey-tasting' margaritas.

From my time being in the area of B'ham & Tuscaloosa these are the two best restaurants I found.
I was very impressed with El Vecino because when I see the Hispanics/Latinos eating there at lunch and at dinner then I pretty much know the food is good. I was impressed with the margaritas as they weren't too limey tasting like many are and they offer salsa verde (green salsa) whereas many others don't and when they don't then I know the food is too mild and I won't visit them. (I call ahead). Chips are made there and taste original and not like a spin-off of Doritos.

This is on hwy 78, exit 123 Arkadelphia/Jasper exit about 3 or miles west of Pilot Truck Stop.
I've returned there repeatedly and is my 1st choice.
El Vecino Mexican Rest.
1492 Forestdale Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35214
Cross Streets: Between Beauty Cir and Forestwood Dr
(205) 798-5188

In Tuscaloosa I found La Gran Fiesta Mexican Rest. on Hwy 69S to be equally good. One manager said that people will drive long distances to eat there. Margaritas are good and they don't put rum in them to substitute for tequila. Chips are made there and they have salsa verde.
9770 Highway 69 S, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
Cross Streets: Between Englewood Village Dr/Hinton Place Rd and Mae Hinton Blvd
(205) 345-8871

In Meridian La Pinata is very popular! My choice in Tuscaloosa. Chips, salsa and margaritas same as above. Also has patio seating.
814 18th Ave S, Meridian, MS 39301
Cross Streets: Between N Frontage Rd and C St
(601) 693-7187
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,090,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1yuri View Post
Seems like there are more chain restaurants in this area. Many called 'grills.' I usually run from those. I detest the 'limey-tasting' margaritas.

From my time being in the area of B'ham & Tuscaloosa these are the two best restaurants I found.
I was very impressed with El Vecino because when I see the Hispanics/Latinos eating there at lunch and at dinner then I pretty much know the food is good. I was impressed with the margaritas as they weren't too limey tasting like many are and they offer salsa verde (green salsa) whereas many others don't and when they don't then I know the food is too mild and I won't visit them. (I call ahead). Chips are made there and taste original and not like a spin-off of Doritos.

This is on hwy 78, exit 123 Arkadelphia/Jasper exit about 3 or miles west of Pilot Truck Stop.
I've returned there repeatedly and is my 1st choice.
El Vecino Mexican Rest.
1492 Forestdale Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35214
Cross Streets: Between Beauty Cir and Forestwood Dr
(205) 798-5188

In Tuscaloosa I found La Gran Fiesta Mexican Rest. on Hwy 69S to be equally good. One manager said that people will drive long distances to eat there. Margaritas are good and they don't put rum in them to substitute for tequila. Chips are made there and they have salsa verde.
(205) 345-8871

In Meridian La Pinata is very popular! My choice in Tuscaloosa. Chips, salsa and margaritas same as above. Also has patio seating.
814 18th Ave S, Meridian, MS 39301
Cross Streets: Between N Frontage Rd and C St
(601) 693-7187

Thanks for your contribution. You are correct about there being so many Mexican chains here. And although most are locally owned, I believe they contribute to making it harder for the smaller operators.

I must point out that the two places you mentioned are in fringe areas as far as the metro goes so they are not going to attract many new people. Even, I, who will travel 100 miles one way for dinner if it strikes me would not frequent the US 78 west area.

I have deducted that you have not found that we also have an enormous number of independent single locations as well, serving the things you mention and more.
Since I started the thread over a year ago I have started going back to a place that I had left behind. My lesson in this is that things aren't static, and things get better and worse. In this case the place has become so much better that I am amazed.

I am still very grateful for the suggestions that many people have made over time.
I will leave you with this advice also. Having some really dear Latin friends through the years I attest to the fact that restaurants that serve a lot of people of Latin background is not a dependable way to determine whether a restaurant is so good or not. lol
But the search for better will always go on and what fun it is. (never heard of rum in a margarita, ever)

Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 PM

That is true about location and I did happen across one other and it may have been Los Sombreros across from a Wal-Mart next to a large auto dealership, possibly exit 108. I found their food was excellent, service as well, and though they didn't have a frozen margarita machine he made one for me and knew exactly what I meant about the limey tasting ones and he used Gran Marnier. (They'll be getting a machine soon.) I should've mentioned that I just don't get in the habit of ordering one from the bartender.

I don't recall the name but there is one next to Petco off exit 10 that seems to get a lot of business constantly. Maybe it's just location.

What I meant by a lot of Latinos is that if the restaurant is a chain or locally-owned and typical of mostly Anglo customers and if I see a lot of Latinos there then yes, I do gauge the food accordingly and haven't been proved wrong yet. And some of the best food is in the smaller establishments but many Anglos like to go to what I call the 'Americanized' ones and generally the salsa is so weak and no bite to it. Therefore, if a lot of Latinos are going in, yep, as a start, I can predict from the salsa and chips that the food will be good. If the salsa isn't then Latinos aren't going. Anglos, a tomato-tasting salsa seems to fit the bill for them as they don't savor spicy food, on average. (By the way, I generally eat cheese enchiladas, rice and beans as I'm vegetarian so I don't get to test many foods - whether I eat or not is based on that salsa at the get-go. And I think I mentioned that I've started calling ahead of time asking if they have green salsa or not. So surprised many don't. Then again, it's those particular restaurants that don't have a demand for it.

There are places that have wine-based margaritas if there's no liquor license. In Mexico they use often use a good rum named Contreau or something like that. I even brought some back with me. But I imagine the rum some restaurants in the U.S. use is of a lesser quality. I was told that in Tuscaloosa at a restaurant.

One of favorite restaurants was back in the late 70s and early 80s in a small town in OK. The owner was from AZ and had a killer of a recipe for rellenos and the sauce. Similar to NM's food. Sadly, she closed later. Not due to lack of business though! I remember it to this day. The next best thing is...

Mexican food in New Mexico because of the Hatch NM green and red chilies will bring you back for another 'chili fix.'
Sadies Restaurant was one of my favorites. Guardunio's was next and then Garcia's in oldtown.

If you ever get to go there - you'll love it!

Hatch New Mexico :: Chile Capital of the World! ::

Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That is true about location and I did happen across one other and it may have been Los Sombreros across from a Wal-Mart next to a large auto dealership, possibly exit 108. I found their food was excellent, service as well, and though they didn't have a frozen margarita machine he made one for me and knew exactly what I meant about the limey tasting ones and he used Gran Marnier. (They'll be getting a machine soon.) I should've mentioned that I just don't get in the habit of ordering one from the bartender.

I don't recall the name but there is one next to Petco off exit 10 that seems to get a lot of business constantly. Maybe it's just location.

What I meant by a lot of Latinos is that if the restaurant is a chain or locally-owned and typical of mostly Anglo customers and if I see a lot of Latinos there then yes, I do gauge the food accordingly and haven't been proved wrong yet. And some of the best food is in the smaller establishments but many Anglos like to go to what I call the 'Americanized' ones and generally the salsa is so weak and no bite to it. Therefore, if a lot of Latinos are going in, yep, as a start, I can predict from the salsa and chips that the food will be good. If the salsa isn't then Latinos aren't going. Anglos, a tomato-tasting salsa seems to fit the bill for them as they don't savor spicy food, on average. (By the way, I generally eat cheese enchiladas, rice and beans as I'm vegetarian so I don't get to test many foods - whether I eat or not is based on that salsa at the get-go. And I think I mentioned that I've started calling ahead of time asking if they have green salsa or not. So surprised many don't. Then again, it's those particular restaurants that don't have a demand for it.

There are places that have wine-based margaritas if there's no liquor license. In Mexico they use often use a good rum named Contreau or something like that. I even brought some back with me. But I imagine the rum some restaurants in the U.S. use is of a lesser quality. I was told that in Tuscaloosa at a restaurant.

One of favorite restaurants was back in the late 70s and early 80s in a small town in OK. The owner was from AZ and had a killer of a recipe for rellenos and the sauce. Similar to NM's food. Sadly, she closed later. Not due to lack of business though! I remember it to this day. The next best thing is...

Mexican food in New Mexico because of the Hatch NM green and red chilies will bring you back for another 'chili fix.'
Sadies Restaurant was one of my favorites. Guardunio's was next and then Garcia's in oldtown.

If you ever get to go there - you'll love it!

Hatch New Mexico :: Chile Capital of the World! ::

You have mentioned many interesting things in this post.

Yes, Hatch chiles , I have not heard anyone mention that in a long time. It is truly a different game in N.M.

One of my favorite items is ' enchilada quesa, con salsa verde y cebollas'. (perhaps the way you have it?)

The hottest salsa verde here in town appears to be at Pablo's at Lee Branch Center under the huge tree surrounded by the deck. It is not my favorite however, as I think it uses less tomatillos. Their salsa rojo is quite spicy. Unfortunately, I have to stay away from chipotle most of the time as my system just does not handle it, but I do have a little on huevos con chorizo occasionally.

Don't get me started. lol

Old 07-07-2014, 01:40 PM

284 posts, read 612,679 times
Quote:
(205) 345-8871
We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED LaGran when we lived in Tuscaloosa County. Best margarita's ever and the waiters were the TOPS. They lost a few good ones when the state passed that illegal immigrant law a few years ago. LaGran was our go to place for several years.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee66 View Post
We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED LaGran when we lived in Tuscaloosa County. Best margarita's ever and the waiters were the TOPS. They lost a few good ones when the state passed that illegal immigrant law a few years ago. LaGran was our go to place for several years.

Well for me, the numbered address nor the cross streets bring up anything that matches this place?

eta; my trusty smart aleck phone brought it up by name. At the time it was in a small shopping center anchored by Winn Dixie?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM

284 posts, read 612,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Well for me, the numbered address nor the cross streets bring up anything that matches this place?

eta; my trusty smart aleck phone brought it up by name. At the time it was in a small shopping center anchored by Winn Dixie?
Yes, right at the road where you turn to go out to the Shelton State Campus, that's where it was when we went there. We haven't lived down there in 2 years so we haven't been since we moved.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,145 times
I was gonna say Chipotle.....

Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmat100 View Post
I was gonna say Chipotle.....

Well, now you have. Join the conversation.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the hot salsa at Pablo's at Lee Branch Center. I love hot salsa. And you know that when the fire burns the tongue that a sip of milk or ice cream will put the burn out immediately! Nothing else works, cold water, ice, nothing! But in NM people say they get a rush, like a runner's high, when eating the Hatch chili. That rush is the endorphins saying they have a fire to go put out and you get that rush! (That's what I've heard.)

(Try calling and ask for directions. It is the last business, on the very left end as you enter, of that same plaza where Win Dixie is.)
La Gran Fiesta
(205) 345-8871

Fernando's up on McFarland in Northport (basically Tuscaloosa, I say) is pretty good too. (Regarding margaritas, chips and salsa.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area