Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
So how does that translate to job growth? How does it compare to other cities in the South? Still doesn't negate the fact that we had negative job growth last decade.
I didn't say that it did, slick. I was just making a post in a big thread that is open for anyone to contribute to. Slow your roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Outlet Shops of Grand River looks to expand market reach - Birmingham Business Journal

The Shops of Grand River has some big aspirations. I like it:

Quote:
The 6,500-acre development is located off Exit 140 along I-20, minutes from Birmingham, but the new leasing team, along with the outlet center's leadership, want to draw more outlet shoppers from around the state and even into Georgia.

“It has the opportunity to be the state's outlet center,” Hinkle said, noting the average outlet shopper will drive 60 minutes to shop.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Outlet Shops of Grand River looks to expand market reach - Birmingham Business Journal

The Shops of Grand River has some big aspirations. I like it:
what does the shops of grand river offer that atlanta doesn't that would attract shoppers from georgia to travel west?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
what does the shops of grand river offer that atlanta doesn't that would attract shoppers from georgia to travel west?
From reading the article I gather that they have hired a new leasing agent who intends to bring new stores to do that, as well as better marketing for the current ones.

"looks to"

Quote:
Szalay said more announcements regarding changes at the outlet center will be coming in the weeks ahead.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:42 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I highly doubt many from GA will go here after this opens. In fact is will be the opposite, shoppers coming East.....

Buckhead Atlanta

Oliver McMillan | Unique Workplace, Unique Firm

Old 09-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I highly doubt many from GA will go here after this opens. In fact is will be the opposite, shoppers coming East.....
It's already open, playa.

Plus you are comparing an outlet mall to an upscale shopping district. That's two distinct...

AH, ha ha, nevermind. Who am I kidding...you won't understand.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It's already open, playa.

Plus you are comparing an outlet mall to an upscale shopping district. That's two distinct...

AH, ha ha, nevermind. Who am I kidding...you won't understand.
My point was is that they are fooling themselves to think people from GA are going to a crappy outlet mall in Leeds, AL. Do you get it??? Oh, maybe you don't understand.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
My point was is that they are fooling themselves to think people from GA are going to a crappy outlet mall in Leeds, AL. Do you get it??? Oh, maybe you don't understand.
They already have market data to suggest otherwise, BASED ON THE FACT THAT IT IS ALREADY OPEN AND VERY SUCCESSFUL. Something that escapes you and negates anything ignorant that you have to say.

Keep digging.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:59 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
People from Georgia isn't a stretch at all... But most likely extreme west Georgia. I think they would have to get some pretty impressive outlet stores for Atlanta outlet shoppers to switch over from the Dawsonville outlet mall. That outlet has a good mixture of high end and lower end outlet stores. That mall has such outlets as Burberry, Saks Off Fifth, Hugo Boss, J. Crew, and the like.

The Leeds mall really needs to work on recruiting some of these types of brands to get all types of people interested in the mall. It's very successful as it is but if they want to expand their reach they will need to do that. I know that's possible because it's also in a great location right off of the interstate.

From another article on al.com and what other people have said, Birmingham really needs to tie itself more to the Talladega speedway. The outlets could really benefit from this given it's proximity to the speedway.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
People from Georgia isn't a stretch at all... But most likely extreme west Georgia. I think they would have to get some pretty impressive outlet stores for Atlanta outlet shoppers to switch over from the Dawsonville outlet mall. That outlet has a good mixture of high end and lower end outlet stores. That mall has such outlets as Burberry, Saks Off Fifth, Hugo Boss, J. Crew, and the like.

The Leeds mall really needs to work on recruiting some of these types of brands to get all types of people interested in the mall. It's very successful as it is but if they want to expand their reach they will need to do that. I know that's possible because it's also in a great location right off of the interstate.
Well, all they said was the average outlet shopper will drive an hour to shop. That radius would get in to Georgia. They didn't say that it was going to bring Atlanta to its knees or that they have found a way to deactivate the force field that keeps people from driving west on I-20 towards Birmingham away from Atlanta. Not, saying that you are suggesting that, but some people get their feelings hurt when the very idea is suggested someone from Georgia might willingly come to Birmingham without being tied up.

Quote:
From another article on al.com and what other people have said, Birmingham really needs to tie itself more to the Talladega speedway. The outlets could really benefit from this given it's proximity to the speedway.
I saw something like that on BBJ and it looked to me like the author wasn't aware that Talladega was now part of the CSA. Besides, that, having more "ties" to the track just has to come with time, as he mentioned things that were already in place. I don't really know what else can be done other then inevitable push the metro is making up 20 and 59 because of Honda, Barber's, Grand River, and St. Clair Co. housing developments and that tractor beam/mind control device they have in Fulton Co, Ga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area