Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times

Advertisements

The negatives are more than balanced out by Daniel's prominent role in the Midtown Mile in Atlanta. The largest single development ever in the city.
Stand that next to all the very large and prominent businesses that have been knocked around for the past seven years and there is a lot of forgiving going on. Not easy to point fingers in this economic turnstile.

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
i mean the future growth of Birmingham gone be unbelievable by the next census in 2020. not extremely a big jump but i think some where around 215k range. the secret word about Birmingham progression is slowly but surely getting out beyond the metro area and also within it as well. with so much of the downtown area being a hot spot, not necessary as far as living (that too), but as far as an area for entertainment that people of all ages can enjoy (railroad park, region field, uptown, lyric and Alabama theatre, 1st and 2nd ave north districts, morris avenue, the future rotary club greenway trail, sloss furnace center, resturants and bars) makes Birmingham nightlife and daylife great. and if the mayor can somehow convince aldot to do away with 20/59 downtown that's future growth in that area as well (multi purpose facility!, i think he got something up his sleeve with that just waiting on what aldot and that situation gone be). all the stars are lining up perfect for Birmingham to have amazing growth for here on out. but the number one huddle that blocking quicker growth right now is the school systems.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Well AlDot did meet with Bell earlier this week. And the plan should be revealed any day now I think, but I have a feeling anything involving moving it north or sinking it is off the table. I think we need to be at peace that current building technology will make the bridges a lot better for downtown even if they go through the middle.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
so let me ask...since the northern beltline I heard on the news yesterday is gone be built 100% with federal dollars, so 20/59 replacement or a portion of it is not including federal dollars, just state and local dollars are all state dollars? 700 million to sink it or move it? 5 billion >>>700 million. if the state is willing to spend up to 345 million on the project can the city contribute the other half to do one of those two options, perhaps that too much for the city to invest in?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
The negatives are more than balanced out by Daniel's prominent role in the Midtown Mile in Atlanta. The largest single development ever in the city.
Stand that next to all the very large and prominent businesses that have been knocked around for the past seven years and there is a lot of forgiving going on. Not easy to point fingers in this economic turnstile.

raj

Would we love to have a smidge of this in Bham???

1010 Midtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 PM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post

Would we love to have a smidge of this in Bham???

1010 Midtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think that it is about time for something like this. All of the most recent high rise residential towers have been constructed in Highland Park. I love the idea of having highrises throughout the city (especially Five Points South, Highland Park, The Summit area), but it is downtown for a few more towers.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 PM

302 posts, read 335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
so let me ask...since the northern beltline I heard on the news yesterday is gone be built 100% with federal dollars, so 20/59 replacement or a portion of it is not including federal dollars, just state and local dollars are all state dollars? 700 million to sink it or move it? 5 billion >>>700 million. if the state is willing to spend up to 345 million on the project can the city contribute the other half to do one of those two options, perhaps that too much for the city to invest in?
Federal dollars are available. ALDOT is uninterested in any solution that does not include higher speeds and more lanes.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
This is interesting. A swank new hotel, the Grand Bohemian, opening in Mountain Brook at the end of 2014. Of course the terms "Bohemian" and "Mountain Brook" don't fit. Maybe they should rename it the "Whitebread."

Lane Parke hotel to hire up to 150 (slideshow) - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Have enjoyed reading this thread. I have been a student of development patterns wherever I have lived. Spent the early 80s in the area as a Samford student... the years that Hoover was just starting to annex and become a player in the area, the years that 459 was opening up, the years that the Galleria was built and opened.

I have family in the area, and with my regular trips between Texas and Georgia, still keep up with what is happening. My thoughts to the ones in this thread.

The school systems most definitely have had a say in the way Oxmoor has developed. At the time that B'ham annexed the majority of the area, Hoover was agressively annexing in all directions. I think B'ham realized if they were going to have any part in the over the mountain growth, the had better make a move. At the time, the other players were happy with status quo. Hoover was agressive because they needed to be to create a tax base that would allow them to start a school system. Vestavia, Mountain Brook and Homewood had their little territories down and seemed to see no need to grow. I always thought that if Homewood had had the aggressive/progressive leadership that Hoover had in those days and had jumped on that Oxmoor land before B'ham did, it would have a completely different feel than what is there today. It would be the 2nd largest city in the region instead of Hoover I have no doubt about it. Much of the development that went down 280 and 65 would have headed here. Yes, schools play that important of a role.

2nd scenario.... if B'ham had not annexed when it did and with Homewood sitting on its laurels, given time Hoover would have taken all this no doubt. As it were, Hoover needed to solidify the expansions it had made before taking on such a large swath. Either scenario, the area would be FULL of single family subdivisions, schools, churches... the type of growth that has eluded it so far. No one wants to be in a totally suburban environment and in the Birmingham school system. As a previous poster mentioned, it is nowhere near an apple to apples comparison to quaint older areas on the other side of Red Mountain.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Have enjoyed reading this thread. I have been a student of development patterns wherever I have lived. Spent the early 80s in the area as a Samford student... the years that Hoover was just starting to annex and become a player in the area, the years that 459 was opening up, the years that the Galleria was built and opened.

I have family in the area, and with my regular trips between Texas and Georgia, still keep up with what is happening. My thoughts to the ones in this thread.

The school systems most definitely have had a say in the way Oxmoor has developed. At the time that B'ham annexed the majority of the area, Hoover was agressively annexing in all directions. I think B'ham realized if they were going to have any part in the over the mountain growth, the had better make a move. At the time, the other players were happy with status quo. Hoover was agressive because they needed to be to create a tax base that would allow them to start a school system. Vestavia, Mountain Brook and Homewood had their little territories down and seemed to see no need to grow. I always thought that if Homewood had had the aggressive/progressive leadership that Hoover had in those days and had jumped on that Oxmoor land before B'ham did, it would have a completely different feel than what is there today. It would be the 2nd largest city in the region instead of Hoover I have no doubt about it. Much of the development that went down 280 and 65 would have headed here. Yes, schools play that important of a role.

2nd scenario.... if B'ham had not annexed when it did and with Homewood sitting on its laurels, given time Hoover would have taken all this no doubt. As it were, Hoover needed to solidify the expansions it had made before taking on such a large swath. Either scenario, the area would be FULL of single family subdivisions, schools, churches... the type of growth that has eluded it so far. No one wants to be in a totally suburban environment and in the Birmingham school system. As a previous poster mentioned, it is nowhere near an apple to apples comparison to quaint older areas on the other side of Red Mountain.
Both of those scenarios are interesting. Birmingham has zoned Lakeshore Pkwy for mostly light industrial, there are a couple of apartment complexes along the corridor and the Ross Bridge development is about 2 miles or less from it.

When it is eventually extended to I-459 and Morgan Rd in Bessemer, it would be another way for those who live in Helena and Alabaster to commute into Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area