Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 07:26 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,786,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
what is this referring to? your last 2 posts sound like sour grapes.
He was rambling about how Huntsville doesn't deserve this and that because it is all government funded stuff. I pointed out that UAB kept Birmingham from collapsing 10-15 years ago and that was his response. Basically, state or federally subsidized development is fine if Birmingham gets it, but doesn't count if Huntsville gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 07:54 AM

2,104 posts, read 2,185,839 times
https://ironcity.ink/happenings/birm...ch-revolution/

"The startups pitched their strategies at the conclusion of a 13-week cohort in the Magic City that was sponsored by Alabama Power Company and other agencies.

Of the nine companies, seven plan to move to or maintain a presence in Birmingham.

Moduly, originally based in Montreal, and HData, originally based in Joliet, Illinois, are moving to the Magic City.

Five companies — Accelerate Wind, Birdstop, Flux Hybrids, Khepra and Noteworthy AI — will maintain a presence in Birmingham to conduct pilots, create second offices or plan for expansion."

Hudson Hollister, HData founder and CEO, announced the company’s relocation to Birmingham — and a strategic partnership with Alabama Power — at Demo Day on Dec. 7.

“Because of Alabama Power and Techstars, Birmingham, Alabama, is the best place in the world to build an early-stage company focused on utilities,” Hollister said.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:23 AM

457 posts, read 341,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachadoo92 View Post
Okay? And is that somehow equal to the BILLIONS being poured into Huntsville year over year? Huntsville basically just has to ask the state for something and the state is like “whatever you need”. How many proposals of Birminghams were ever adopted? Huntsville has been catered to…Birmingham growth has been constrained on purpose.
The state has been anti-Birmingham/Jefferson County in the past, but as the Birmingham/JeffCo governments have gotten their act together over the last few years, I think the state has become a more willing partner. We've seen the state invest in numerous large initiatives recently including the new I20/59 bridges & interchange, CityWalk, $50M towards UAB's upcoming Genomic Research facility, widening I-59 in Trussville, investing in the World Games, and offering state tax incentives on some large economic development projects like the Landing HQ and the Smucker's factory.

The state legislature is probably never going to pass policies that favor a progressive social agenda, but I think they're now much more economically friendly towards the Birmingham area. I would agree that Huntsville & Baldwin County are the favorite though.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:57 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,076,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
He was rambling about how Huntsville doesn't deserve this and that because it is all government funded stuff. I pointed out that UAB kept Birmingham from collapsing 10-15 years ago and that was his response. Basically, state or federally subsidized development is fine if Birmingham gets it, but doesn't count if Huntsville gets it.

Wait a minute. 'Collapsing' is total hyperbole on your part. Sure, the banking industry went through rough times during the Mortgage Meldown of the late aughts. It hurt a sector of the economy that was powering a lot of the metro's growth. But there were plenty of economic sectors that kept on churning.

Meanwhile, literally 50% of the Huntsville economy is tied to Federal spending. Half. The economies of the two cities are nowhere close to comparable in terms of reliance on the government. So while Birmingham has had ups and downs due to its reliance on private sector growth, Huntsville has enjoyed stability due to that government cheese coming in the door year after year.

Hey, UAB gets a lot of research dollars from the Federal Government, the University's total income from research earns somewhere around 25-27% of total revenue. And the operative word there is 'earns.' As in UAB has to continuously apply for grants and deliver results on those grants. This by itself is a marked difference from Federal agencies that can just look forward to their budget increases year after year. So again, your analogy makes no sense at all.

The rest of UAB's money comes from healthcare services and tuition. In fact, given how UAB's medical center is pulling in patients from around the country and internationally, the complex of hospitals is more a local business than anything.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 02-07-2022 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2022, 05:21 PM

Peep the first photo..

https://www.orchestra-partners.com/o...ll-steam-plant

Old 02-08-2022, 08:53 PM

923 posts, read 846,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post

Nice find!

Old 02-08-2022, 10:41 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,248,516 times
i know it's purely conceptual, but i don't understand that new building in the background... it looks like it's sitting right in the mddle of the parking lot of that old spire / alagasco building.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i know it's purely conceptual, but i don't understand that new building in the background... it looks like it's sitting right in the mddle of the parking lot of that old spire / alagasco building.
I assume they purchased the old Alagasco building or is in the process of doing that. There is also a vacant building across Powell Ave from Alagasco. Again I assume they have purchased that building as well. In that rendering, it looks like they are taking Powell Ave (the street) right of way and building on the east end of it next to 20th St. Look like they are constructing around APCO spot on 19th St.

So between 18th St., 1st Ave. South, 20th St. and the railroad tracks.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:00 PM

923 posts, read 846,762 times
Cool new luxury homes being built in Birmingham city limits!

https://bhamnow.com/2022/02/09/new-l...highland-park/

Old 02-09-2022, 01:09 PM

1,024 posts, read 650,278 times
Nice way to repurpose that property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area