Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 12:01 PM

43 posts, read 31,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
It's a little deeper than that to me. We can have "fun" adding up who got what first, and how many high end grocery stores one has versus the other but the bottom line is a lot of people like to throw stones at Birmingham because it's liberal, or democratic, or a majority black run city and that somehow makes it bad to begin with. You can never really pin (some of) them down on it, they just lace their comments with dog whistles and pretend their comments are too air tight to argue with or decipher because that's not what they really meant.

So when someone says something ignorant like "It's wasted there" are they really that dumb to think there aren't enough people here to support it? or that the Alamo people didn't do their research, or are they really saying "those people" aren't worthy enough to have it over their sparkling metropolis of perfection full of superiority chock full of their preferred demographic?
I don’t think it’s that deep on their part. Huntsvillians are one of the most educated populations in the country and the youth are basically liberal hipsters. It’s also getting colonized by Northeast Yankees and west coast Californians that think everyone in the Deep South are hill billy racists…it’s wasted here because the culture that’s growing up there while liberal isn’t the type of liberal that you think would be your political ally. Sorry to say.

Aka. Elitism

It’s beyond race. It’s education and increasingly from the transplants that have moved there geographic elitism and superiority. A lot of these people that are moving there don’t really want to be there,but are being kind of forced into it by the federal government or by the salaries being offered.

You are going to have a whole generation of kids born in Alabama who don’t regard themselves as Alabamian or Southern. I have a friend like that. Her mom( Californian) basically raised her to see herself as different and set apart from Everyone else. Never even been to California,but she regards herself as Californian. That’s the future of Huntsville.

Last edited by Zachadoo92; 02-05-2022 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 12:29 PM

1,019 posts, read 642,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachadoo92 View Post
it’s wasted here because the culture that’s growing up there while liberal isn’t the type of liberal that you think would be your political ally. Sorry to say.
I don't get what you're trying to say here. I personally don't need political allies to go play Top Golf or go to the Summit or whatever, but I've read enough comments about this city to realize a lot of hate gets levied toward it simply because of who runs it and who lives here.

To say that an Alamo is wasted here speaks to something deeper than just being too dumb to realize that a 1.1M metro has enough diversity and eyeballs to keep enough seats filled.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:29 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,173,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
For some Birminghamsters (what are we called, anyways?), I sense an inferiority complex and even a hint of resentment. Yes, Birmingham is still the largest metro in the state, but Huntsville has had success in some areas that we would love to see here (I'd take that amphitheater (if it were downtown), or an AC Hotel, or Cabela's, etc any day). It feels like a lot of you are looking over your shoulder in fear because Huntsville is gaining speed quickly, and you feel the need to "put them in their place". Especially when we're not performing as well (in terms of population/job growth) among our own peers. Just remember... if/when the Huntsville metro passes Birmingham in a few decades, you'll need a different excuse. I think there is also resentment that a lot of the success is federally driven (NASA, FBI, Redstone) so it feels a little like a handout, whereas Birmingham's successes, while smaller, are more rooted in our entrepreneurs and the foresight of those who turned UAB into what it has become (and yes, obviously Huntsville has plenty of successful startup stories and UAH). Huntsville is the "it" city of Alabama at the moment, and that positive PR goes a long way. Meanwhile we still have to deal with stereotypes from the '60s and a general negative image based on socioeconomics. But for those of us who have lived here for a while, it's hard to be anything but optimistic based on where we were 10-15 years ago. I would love for our population growth to turn around and be on the level of Huntsville, but I still think we have a bright future ahead of us. Let's focus on those things that make us unique in the state (our Downtown, UAB, banking / healthcare) and keep developing those things that are showing promise (logistics / transportation / tech startups).
With all due respect, resentment..nah. Standing up and defending b.s., yes. This have never been a thing people in Birningham was doing or is currently doing. Outside people/media is creating this storyline. So now sucess is having a amphitheater, a store, and a hotel. Come on, bruh. Louisville have more people than Atlanta. Jacksonville has more people than Miami. I don't think either one is worried to much. I mean I know you are a former Huntsvillian and is trying to look at this from both sides. But if you are born, raised, and grew up in Birmingham, you truely understand the situation. Ask any Birmingham native. So why isn't that they compare themselves to Mobile or Montgomery. Do they feel those two cities are beneath them already. It's always Birmingham.

Last edited by mcalumni01; 02-05-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-05-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I don’t think it’s that deep on their part. Huntsvillians are one of the most educated populations in the country and the youth are basically liberal hipsters. It’s also getting colonized by Northeast Yankees and west coast Californians that think everyone in the Deep South are hill billy racists…it’s wasted here because the culture that’s growing up there while liberal isn’t the type of liberal that you think would be your political ally. Sorry to say.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntsvilleA...ville_isnt_as/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntsvilleA...members_arent/

Old 02-06-2022, 02:27 PM

Yes I’m bitter. I absolutely feel like Huntsville doesn’t deserve to be the success that it is. In my eyes it’s kind of unearned…if all that federal funding dried up over night what would happen? That city is basically a giant federal subsidy. I wouldn’t care as much if Birmingham wasn’t treated like the red headed stepchild by the state.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:40 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Yes I’m bitter. I absolutely feel like Huntsville doesn’t deserve to be the success that it is. In my eyes it’s kind of unearned…if all that federal funding dried up over night what would happen? That city is basically a giant federal subsidy. I wouldn’t care as much if Birmingham wasn’t treated like the red headed stepchild by the state.
You do realize that UAB kept this city afloat when steel was gone and banking crashed, right?

Old 02-06-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
another distribution/logistics facility (although speculative - no tenant). this will be near the giant Amazon fulfillment center in Bessemer:

Graham & Co. plans $30 million industrial development in Bessemer
That was at one point saying it would be another Amazon facility.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
You do realize that UAB kept this city afloat when steel was gone and banking crashed, right?
Okay? And is that somehow equal to the BILLIONS being poured into Huntsville year over year? Huntsville basically just has to ask the state for something and the state is like “whatever you need”. How many proposals of Birminghams were ever adopted? Huntsville has been catered to…Birmingham growth has been constrained on purpose.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:30 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Okay? And is that somehow equal to the BILLIONS being poured into Huntsville year over year? Huntsville basically just has to ask the state for something and the state is like “whatever you need”. How many proposals of Birminghams were ever adopted? Huntsville has been catered to…Birmingham growth has been constrained on purpose.
sure dude. keep telling yourself that.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:21 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,265 times
Quote:
what is this referring to? your last 2 posts sound like sour grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area