Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 08:46 AM

26 posts, read 23,049 times

Advertisements

It seems that the MSA has most always been growth well outside the City of Birmingham for a variety of good reasons. Birmingham has never been really known to be overly interested in developing an urban-style of residences, i.e. stacking, high density etc. There has been continued demand for suburban, and exurban living (witness the growth in North Shelby, et al).

I always thought comparing Nashville's trajectory to that of Birmingham is non sequitur in many respects- geography, economics, industry, demography, politics, education, cultural and physical development.

Nashville has experienced a huge influx...I mean HUGE influx of individuals and families from a large number of cities whose inhabitants have a history and demand for more high-density, stacked residential options, so many are used to, or even prefer that sort of high-rise residential options. I don't know whether Birmingham area homeowners/families that live in Mtn Brook or Trussville are going to move to the city centre simply due a number of considerations such as amenities, and public schools. Things could change, but not as fast as Naahville in my own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 11:31 AM

666 posts, read 516,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying914 View Post
I always thought comparing Nashville's trajectory to that of Birmingham is non sequitur in many respects- geography, economics, industry, demography, politics, education, cultural and physical development.

Things could change, but not as fast as Naahville in my own opinion.
Of course not, and I've detailed why I believe that is in other posts a while back. Nashville has a magnet and a charm that Birmingham doesn't have. That is the country music scene and the recording industry. Young people think that is cool. With that, comes a lot of money, nicer restaurants, cooler hang outs, more stuff to do and things that make you say "whoa that's cool." That's what young people are attracted to. It's a bachelorette party destination too where girls post pics of them having the time of their life on Broadway. Have you seen those pics of Birmingham? Not really.

The amount of people with deep pockets is extraordinary in Nashville compared to Birmingham where most of the wealth is with older people who's kids don't live here anymore. Those deep pockets keep suburbs trendy as well like Franklin, Green Hills, Belle Meade, and Brentwood. While Mountain Brook and Homewood are quite stark comparatively.

There are other differences but the fact is that Nashville and Birmingham are geographically close so it's easy to compare. Also, many families lose their kids/grandkids to Nashville so it leaves parents scratching their heads saying "why don't my kids want to move back closer to me?" You have to think like a young adult with a career ahead of them and a little money in their pocket.

For as SIMILAR PRICE why would you choose to live in Birmingham over Nashville? Yes Nash is more expensive but NOT BY THAT MUCH when you compare apartment prices and Homewood/MB prices.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:40 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
I guess ALDOT needed a lil' motivation ($$$)

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...-lighting.html

New lighting is coming to two of Birmingham's major interstates.

About $3.5 million will be invested in lighting*on I-59/20 and I-65.

The city of Birmingham and Alabama Department of Transportation have entered into a cost-sharing agreement for the project, which will include restoration and maintenance for interstate lighting on I-20/59 from Tallapoosa Street to the I-20/59 route interchange. The city will invest $1.65 million in the project. ALDOT will cover remaining costs.

“We will continue to work with them (the city) to ensure that the lights are functioning properly in the near future,” said DeJarvis Leonard, East Central Region Engineer with*ALDOT.

Work on the project is already under way. It was approved at a city council meeting Tuesday. Some of the repairs are needed due to theft of copper wiring. Other areas being updated include I-20/59 at Arkadelphia Road, I-20/59 at Ensley 5 Points Avenue West, 21st*Street Ensley and 19th*Street Ensley, I-65 at Green Springs Avenue and I-65 at University Boulevard.

“We are taking extra precautions to reduce the likelihood of vandalism,” James Fowler, the city’s director transportation, said. “While no system is foolproof, we are switching to aluminum wiring and are also rebuilding the system in a way that will make the wiring more difficult to remove and have virtually no salvage value.”

Old 05-30-2022, 10:58 AM

204 posts, read 135,449 times
All Birmingham needs is more tall buildings (not!).
Down in its valley, more underground and massive above-ground building will just mean more pavement, more loss of green space (not that there is much now), and, unless major work is done, more flooding such as happened last March
Added to that, tall buildings mean more traffic, more people, more crime.
With Birmingham's lack of public transportation that would be a nightmare (although, granted, more public transportation just brings more crime -- just look at Atlanta).
I have been considering an apartment building downtown, but one reason I will not move there is its total lack of any outdoor space (it has a community area indoors, on its top floor, but that is not green space).
Birmingham does not need more pavement, more traffic, and more light pollution.

Old 05-30-2022, 11:00 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
Where in Southside? There are quite a few parks / green spaces in and around Five Points / Parkside / UAB.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:25 AM

450 posts, read 336,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Where in Southside? There are quite a few parks / green spaces in and around Five Points / Parkside / UAB.
Really wish someone would do something with the building on 14th St right next to Good People. That's a prime spot for a cool restaurant.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:46 PM

Polite, honest question:

What is it with cities and restaurants? Every time I go online looking for info about some city or other, I see so many posts about the restaurants. I just don't get it. Who can afford to eat out often enough to keep all those restaurants in business?
Granted, someone can, because when restaurants are built in preexisting buildings in shopping centers, other businesses in the center have to deal with diners taking up all the parking spaces, for hours at a time.
I saw it happen with my favorite grocery store years ago. A new restaurant opened next door, and there went the grocery store's parking. People can spend a couple of hours in a restaurant; not too many people spend a couple of hours in a grocery store.

Many, many of the people who need city housing cannot afford to eat at restaurants anyway. Those people need food stamps. If cities want to building more residential buildings in their centers, they should try to attract people who can't afford to have a car, so that those people can be near their jobs as well as necessary shopping.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Are they safe? Or are they hangouts for drug dealers, muggers, and tent cities?

Old 06-01-2022, 08:31 AM

I agree that there seems to exist an impractical allure to having restaurants all around....as if they are some kind of barometer for safety, functionality and so-called "progress".

It's very very odd IMHO. Just look at what happened to Five-Points South.These efforts of course aren't limited to Birmingham, Nashville, or Atlanta or Memphis.

I'm not sure about any preoccupation about spending millions of tax dollars on re-vamping lighting. I just don't understand that I guess. Over the years I've seen positive efforts sort of fade away into oblivion or strange transition in the city itself such as Morris Ave, 20th st south, and the undesirability of certain areas around Green Springs/Valley/Oxmoor.

I simply don't know anymore. We'll keep looking I suppose.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
For as SIMILAR PRICE why would you choose to live in Birmingham over Nashville? Yes Nash is more expensive but NOT BY THAT MUCH when you compare apartment prices and Homewood/MB prices.
Very good question I suppose....what would be say 3 good reasons??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area