Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I found the weight of it cumbersome
Did you get the DX? Because I have the Kindle 3rd generation and it's no heavier than an average paperback in my experience (much lighter than a hardback). Everyone I've shown it to has remarked on how light and thin it is. I also find it easier to hold than a paperback, one of the main reasons I switched completely to ebooks (even though I urge others to remember it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other) is because I get hand strain from holding open paper books - but not with Kindle.

It's not for everyone, fair enough that you gave it a try and didn't like it (a lot of people won't even try it which I find pretty closed minded), I just wouldn't have expected someone to complain about the weight. I know the DX is heavier than the Kindle 3 but I've never held it so I can't say if it would be too heavy for me or not. All I can say is the Kindle 3 is perfect for me when it comes to weight and ease of holding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Did you get the DX? Because I have the Kindle 3rd generation and it's no heavier than an average paperback in my experience (much lighter than a hardback). Everyone I've shown it to has remarked on how light and thin it is. I also find it easier to hold than a paperback, one of the main reasons I switched completely to ebooks (even though I urge others to remember it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other) is because I get hand strain from holding open paper books - but not with Kindle.

It's not for everyone, fair enough that you gave it a try and didn't like it (a lot of people won't even try it which I find pretty closed minded), I just wouldn't have expected someone to complain about the weight. I know the DX is heavier than the Kindle 3 but I've never held it so I can't say if it would be too heavy for me or not. All I can say is the Kindle 3 is perfect for me when it comes to weight and ease of holding it.
I'm looking at the box and, although it doesn't say what kind it is (weird?), it's not the DX. It's whatever the $139 one is.

You're right -- it is lighter than the hardback books, which is mostly what I get -- so maybe it's the weight ratio to its small size that threw me off. The weight (or lack thereof) wasn't my main issue with it, though -- it was my love of paper, and the wanting to get my eyes away from a screen at the end of the day, really.

I completely understand why people love it -- it's SO convenient for a number of reasons -- but it just doesn't work for me. I wish that I loved it.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Dawn, don't feel so alone... I do like my Kindle, and I've read several books on it. However, in terms of those category romances, I found that I miss the cover photo (why, when it's always the same man-woman clinch?) and reading the back blurb, and also the very short excerpt on the inside. Because I have a lot of time on my hands, I solved this problem by going to eHarlequin.com, where I was able to at least copy the back cover blurb and excerpt for each book. I've saved these in a text file, so I can at least read them before I start each ebook.

I'm annoyed, though, because Harlequin stopped issuing the monthly categories in one bundle for each month. That was the entire reason I bought my Kindle! How could I pass up six books for only $9.99?! I was able to enjoy that wonderful deal for one month. One.

Then, because I'm on eHarlequin's mailing list, I took advantage of a very good sale, and ordered eight books for $21. That's about $2.63 per book, which is a great price considering that they retail for $4.75 now. And yes, when I received the package, it was nice to be able to hold the physical books, smell the new paper, and look at the covers and read the back blurbs. I just wish I could find a home for them after I've read them. It hurts me to think of simply throwing them away. That's why I currently have a grocery bag half full of such books. (I had many more, but had to throw them away when I moved in May '09.)

I can straddle both worlds... Even when I bought my Kindle I knew I had no intention of giving up DTB (dead tree books) forever. I am taking advantage of some of the free Kindle books, though - and I bought several months of category romance lines that I don't usually read, so my Kindle TBR pile is huge.

So Dawn, you can see that we're not so different. I'm not 100% on the Kindle bandwagon, either!
That's exactly what I had planned -- still keep buying my newly released books on paper, but use the Kindle only for the classics that I feel that I *should* have already read.

I sell my newly released books after I read them, but the older ones that typically sell for $1 or less, I don't bother (it's too much effort for too little gain) -- I just donate them to Goodwill. Maybe you can do that so that you don't feel too bad about just tossing them?

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-17-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I really thought I wouldn't like the eReaders. I really did. Think that, I mean. I had never seen or held one in my hands, but I didn't think I'd like it. And then my kids bought a Kindle for me for Christmas. Funny. I like it. I've taken it with me to Doctor's appointments, to the beach, to the bathroom. I refuse to spend $30.00 for a cover for it. I bought a suede purse on sale for $7.00 and it fits perfectly. Fits my Kindle, that is. I read while I eat. I never splash gravy or pasta sauce on it. Well, maybe not "never", but I can wipe it off when I do.

What I would like to have is a stand that would keep it upright while I read at the table. The one I invented won't allow me to press the Next Page key without it falling over. So could someone work on that, please?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
What I would like to have is a stand that would keep it upright while I read at the table. The one I invented won't allow me to press the Next Page key without it falling over. So could someone work on that, please?
I don't know how well it holds up when pressing the next page button but there are covers like this: Amazon.com: M-Edge Platform Synthetic Leather Kindle Jacket (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle), Royal Blue: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/Platform-Synthetic-Leather-Display-Generation/dp/B001S08Y3Q/ref=sr_1_106?ie=UTF8&s=fiona-hardware&qid=1287344121&sr=1-106 - broken link)

Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM

122 posts, read 207,691 times
I like actual books,but I can't afford all of what I like!And e-books are bad for eyesight,so actual books is my choice,I can borrow from our downtown library!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
I also prefer real books

Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Hard cover vs ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So apparently Amazon is selling more e-books than hard covers. No doubt they're giddy as it moves them a step closer to getting rid of the shame they feel for originally being a bookstore website. Anyways I'm about half and half hardcover and softcover. I can't see myself continuing to read if it goes to all e-books, or even only e-book on the books I want to read. Am I the only one?
No - I read so much online I love just sitting outside or on my couch next to my furry friends and just read a book.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
Paperbacks will never become obsolete. eBooks may become trendy and popular, but there's still nothing like holding a real book in my hands and using my fingers to turn the pages. And the smell of books! No eBook can ever be able to replace the smell. Don't you just love the distinct smell of new and old books?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelyne View Post
I like actual books,but I can't afford all of what I like!And e-books are bad for eyesight,so actual books is my choice,I can borrow from our downtown library!
Have you actually tried an e-reader with e-ink? Because I've never heard anyone complain about e-ink being hard on or bad for their eyes. It looks just like a piece of paper and is not the same as a computer or other backlit screens. Also, some e-readers support library ebooks - Kindle doesn't but Nook does.

Fair enough if you can't afford the cost of the e-reader but you can get a lot of ebooks for less than the cost of the paper version - plus there's a lot of free ebook offers. Theoretically, you can make up the cost of the e-reader by saving money on ebooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books