Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
. . . Just so you know, most of us who do enjoy "made up events" of "made up characters" (there's that snark again) also read for knowledge. It adds dimension and makes us well-rounded.

I don't read fiction exclusively, nor do most readers of my acquaintance. We do spend time reading texts that educate or enlighten us in some way. Some of it even teaches us not to be judgemental.
Good non fiction teaches me about the outside world. Good fiction teaches me of myself. Both are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I tend to read mostly non-fiction as well, but any good book is worthwhile, in my opinion. I still adore Shakespeare (he has many lessons and observations in there). I lean towards classic fiction (no Jackie Collins or such). A well written mystery or historical fiction can be very enjoyable, and when properly researched, still informative and educational. I can see where 20years is coming from and I'm sure she didn't mean to be snooty. I also cannot see the point in romance novels and similar genres. They simply do nothing for me and I don't want to waste my time with them. I'd rather learn something or improve myself.

BUT, any reading is better than no reading. It still opens the mind.
A romance is not always just a romance. I like well written ones, and I'll tell you why I wasted my time reading them once I got started. They provided 'happy ever afters' while my husband was bedridden and I was his sole caretaker for the last year of his life. I was more than grateful to escape my reality just for a little while whenever I could - a good fantasy can be a great anodyne to Real Life.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I like actual books. I don't think I can get interested in a e-book yet. Never say never, right?
I like being able to turn the page or dog ear it when I want to stop at a page and carry around the actual book and see the print itself.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I like actual books. I don't think I can get interested in a e-book yet. Never say never, right?
I like being able to turn the page or dog ear it when I want to stop at a page and carry around the actual book and see the print itself.
Skeet, that's pretty much what I said before I received my Kindle. That's because I had never seen or held one.
When I went on vacation with my Kindle, I had 30 books loaded into it, and it took up less space in my travel bag than a traditional paperback. When I sat on the beach in the sun, I read my Kindle exactly as if it was a printed page. When I put it down, it turns itself off. When I pick it up and turn it on, it opens to the page I left off. I still read "real books". But the Kindle is one more option. Just the same as the dryer was an option to using a clothesline. Or an electric razor was an option to using a blade. There's room for variety.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
But the Kindle is one more option. Just the same as the dryer was an option to using a clothesline. Or an electric razor was an option to using a blade. There's room for variety.
Never thought of it that way. Thanks for the insight!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Never thought of it that way. Thanks for the insight!
SKeet, thank you! For being open to another POV. It's refreshing to find that on CD. Just have a look at the e-reader. If you don't like it, that's fine. I'm a firm believer in choice for everyone, not just the guy who shouts the loudest.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I remember being taught at a very early age to "respect" books by a very stern teacher. That meant no writing in them or dog-earing, laying face-down etc. Of course that was before paperbacks and books were more creations meant to last.

But to this day the most I can do to alter the appearance of a book is stick a post-it on the page I want to remember. Otherwise I am awashed in an extreme amount of guilt imagining that teacher's voice saying "Respect the book."

I will eventually purchase a Kindle but I probably won't give up print publications entirely especially if the print is readable which is a problem for me sometimes.

I like choices. It doesn't have to be "either-or" for me.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I remember being taught at a very early age to "respect" books by a very stern teacher. That meant no writing in them or dog-earing, laying face-down etc. Of course that was before paperbacks and books were more creations meant to last.

But to this day the most I can do to alter the appearance of a book is stick a post-it on the page I want to remember. Otherwise I am awashed in an extreme amount of guilt imagining that teacher's voice saying "Respect the book."

I will eventually purchase a Kindle but I probably won't give up print publications entirely especially if the print is readable which is a problem for me sometimes.

I like choices. It doesn't have to be "either-or" for me.
Sounds like we had the same teacher LOL I, too was taught that books were something special and not to be defaced. We were even taught how to open a brand-new book so as not to "break the spine".

When I was in my first-ever play about 18 years ago, I was shocked to discover that we were expected to write in the script to note our stage movements (blocking). I pictured Sister Mary Agnes' face telling me not to deface the book.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:37 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
That's actually one of the things I love about my Kindle - I can make notes, dogear pages and highlight words or passages without feeling like I'm defacing the book.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
SKeet, thank you! For being open to another POV. It's refreshing to find that on CD. Just have a look at the e-reader. If you don't like it, that's fine. I'm a firm believer in choice for everyone, not just the guy who shouts the loudest.
I've seen the Kindle online on Amazon but I think I would like to see in person and actually hold one and maybe tinker with it a little. Any store where I can go? There's so many stores out there and my brain is mush at the moment thinking of where I could go check one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Makes me embarrassed about dog earing my book now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books