Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you do want to read in the bathtub, you can buy a "Waterguard" - it's not very pretty but it keeps the Kindle safe from water.

Amazon.com: TrendyDigital WaterGuard Plus Waterproof Case with Padding for Kindle 3 (Third Generation Kindle, Kindle Wi-Fi, or Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi , 6" Display), White Color: Electronics
They have a good selection of ones now: Amazon.com: klearkase: Electronics that look better than the Trendy. I am considering getting one so I can float in the pool with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
They have a good selection of ones now: Amazon.com: klearkase: Electronics that look better than the Trendy. I am considering getting one so I can float in the pool with it.
I thought I read that they are only "splash resistant" though? So I'd still be concerned about dropping it in water. I've heard M-Edge's Guardian case is better but they don't have one for the K3 yet. M-Edge | Products | Guardian Case for Amazon Kindle (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)

Old 09-16-2010, 06:24 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I prefer books to the e-reader's. However, the e-reader's do have a practical purpose and I can understand the market for them, especially for avid readers who travel a lot and want to cut down on weight and space.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
I never considered all the trees that will live if we go over to ereaders. That's the most enticing argument for me.
I have just been made aware that I shall be getting a Kindle and Nook and some other from acquaintances. Maybe it's karma.
Geeze, I now have so many actual books to catch up with, and now this comes along.
I frequently read as I walk and it's a struggle to keep the pages open with one hand if something is in the other.
Perhaps both books and ereaders have their places.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I thought I read that they are only "splash resistant" though? So I'd still be concerned about dropping it in water. I've heard M-Edge's Guardian case is better but they don't have one for the K3 yet. M-Edge | Products | Guardian Case for Amazon Kindle (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)

I don't bother with a water resistant/proof case - I just read in the bathtub and don't plan on dropping it..... haven't dropped it in the almost 3 years I've owned it.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I don't bother with a water resistant/proof case - I just read in the bathtub and don't plan on dropping it..... haven't dropped it in the almost 3 years I've owned it.
I don't particularly have butter fingers either but not everyone is the same - I know a guy who has dropped and cracked his iPhone 3 times but I've never dropped mine. I still plan on getting something for when I got to the beach though - not really against water but the sand and sun lotion.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
People online like techno-gadgets.
Will wonders never cease?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 AM

26 posts, read 70,342 times
I love the real book very much, feeling nice to touch it, to smell it and like the action of turning another page. but ,for E-book, there are too many meaningless stories in the internet , I don't want to wast time on searching, and really cannot concentrate on it. for me ,reading is a kind of relax, enjoyment, a short travelling, but only with real book.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Also, with the ebooks, can you find good deals for 10cents or a quarter at yard sales? I don't think so.
I have such a stash of real books that will keep me going for several years, so I am in a happy place.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Also, with the ebooks, can you find good deals for 10cents or a quarter at yard sales? I don't think so.
Actually, there are thousands of free and bargain books available for Kindle - you can pick some up for only $1, which is pretty close. But particularly all the classics which are out of copyright - when they are printed, you still have to pay for them due to publishing costs but as ebooks, they are free. We were discussing this earlier, when someone mentioned they are getting a Kindle just for the free classics. There are also a lot of independent authors only available on Kindle/ebooks, you won't find them printed. So there's a lot you can get from Kindle that you can't get from paper books too.

But even so, it doesn't matter because it doesn't have to be one or the other - if you buy an ereader, it doesn't mean you're never allowed to buy a paper book ever again. You can still go to yard sales or used book stores and buy your 10c or bargain books. You can still buy a paper book if it's not yet available as an ebook. ereaders just give you more options. They're not for everyone but at least understand the options it offers before ruling it out.

Quote:
I have such a stash of real books that will keep me going for several years, so I am in a happy place.
Really? You must either have a very large home to store them all in or you don't read as much as I do. In the last year I've read 60 books so I would need 200+ books to last me "several years". I just don't have room for that in my 650sq ft apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books