Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 04:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I know that there is a huge fan base for Tartt, but I'm one of those "get right down to it" people.

Strangely, for all my not liking it, I did read The Goldfinch all the way to the end. And because I'm cursed with the reading gene, if I had nothing else, I'd probably re-read it. If I had nothing else.

I come here to find out what other authors I might like to try; and often it works out. Thanks to all of you and your recommendations.

I feel the same way. I am not good with long dragged out books. I'm the same way in real life…get to the point, lol. You give me hope. I may try The Goldfinch at some point

I love to get new recommendations also

Next up…I read The Maze Runner last year. Last night I started The Scorch Trials. I cried from reading A Man Called Ove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
I know that there is a huge fan base for Tartt, but I'm one of those "get right down to it" people. I like Hemingway. I want a story that cuts through all the extraneous "stuff" and lets me have it - right between the eyes. I like Steinbeck. I like Charlie Carillo.

Yes, I do enjoy a lovely turn of phrase but I don't need the whole 300 pages turning phrases.

Certainly I don't take anything away from those who enjoy bodice-rippers, or long, detailed descriptions of landscapes that only add to the word count. And call it contradictory, but I like Dickens and that old boy can go on. and on. and on. But his "going on" makes my mind rejoice.

Strangely, for all my not liking it, I did read The Goldfinch all the way to the end. And because I'm cursed with the reading gene, if I had nothing else, I'd probably re-read it. If I had nothing else.

I come here to find out what other authors I might like to try; and often it works out. Thanks to all of you and your recommendations.
I love that phrase you used "makes my mind rejoice." The books that do that are rare.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Epic fail with Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millett:

http://www.amazon.com/Mermaids-Parad...2548493&sr=1-1

First 50 pages were okay, told in the voice of a cynical bride-to-be and then honeymooner. But then it seemed to get really off-track, with a cast of quirky characters intent on discovering and saving mermaids who were sighted on an island. I don't enjoy "madcap comedy" plays, and that's what this reminds me of. Another Pulitzer Prize finalist who I won't be reading!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
The Autoimmune Solution

Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
A few of us here have said that although we didn't enjoy Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch (I didn't even get to page 100 of it), we did love her The Secret History. I guess I was thinking about The Secret History a bit and, because I think that Google, Amazon, and assorted shopping websites have a direct line to my brain, it can't be a coincidence that this book came onto my radar:

http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Fury-Nat...sin=B00IHCC6BE

The Furies (also known as The Amber Fury, although that might just be in Canada) by Natalie Haynes has been compared to The Secret History. I'm sure that this has more to do with the teacher and Greek mythology angles than with Tartt's gorgeous writing style, but I'm adding it to my "to read" list anyway. I thought I'd mention the book here in case anyone else is interested.
My library has The Furies so I have on hold. I did like The Secret History. Still have not read The Goldfinch.

Here's Booklist's description for The Furies:

"Steady pacing paired with well-timed foreshadowing and fully realized characters make this one compelling from the beginning. Fans of Donna Tartt's The Secret History (1992), Erin Kelly's The Poison Tree (2011), and Tana French's The Likeness (2008) will likely enjoy the new perspective Haynes' conversational style offers to similar material." —Booklist

Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I've had it in my Kindle for several years and have decided that it's time. One of the first "sleuth" type books, written in 1859ish. Taking me a while to get used to the style but it's growing on me. I'll let you know.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, this is interesting and I've been meaning to post a question about this Bookbub business. I've recently been coming across all kinds of ads for Bookbub and I was wondering what was involved and whether it was worth it to sign up or whatever you do. Is it free and you just sign up?
It is really easy to sign up on Bookbub and it is free. All you have to do is select the genres that you like and every day you will receive a list of books. Some are free; some are 99 cents up to about 2.99. I always read the reviews, whether free or not. I have found some great free books. Also, if you Like them on Facebook, you will also get notifications and some of those books will be different than the genres that you have chosen to be e-mailed to you.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Bookbub is basically the same as bookgorilla.com

Old 01-29-2015, 06:21 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I've had it in my Kindle for several years and have decided that it's time. One of the first "sleuth" type books, written in 1859ish. Taking me a while to get used to the style but it's growing on me. I'll let you know.
Excellent choice. I really liked this book.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 8,459 times
Just finished Copper River by William Kent Krueger, love this book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books