Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 03:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Hi Mayvenne,

Could not have put it better, "Daisy Jones & The Six", there wasn't a lot of there there.

I hate to say it but I thought the same thing about "This Tender Land" and did not even finish it. Will be interested to know what you thought of it.

Have a good weekend!
I read This Tender Land a few months ago and was not impressed at all. It seemed so contrived that in some points the tragedies seemed almost laughable. However - upon the recommendation of several folks here, I tried another of the author's works, Ordinary Grace, and really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 12:11 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Joe Pickett #1

Old 10-27-2020, 05:59 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I read This Tender Land a few months ago and was not impressed at all. It seemed so contrived that in some points the tragedies seemed almost laughable. However - upon the recommendation of several folks here, I tried another of the author's works, Ordinary Grace, and really enjoyed it.
I don't think I ever read that one, it won the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 2014. I will definitely try and get my hands on this one, thank you!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:41 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty - someone gave it to me. I read Big Little Lies and Nine Perfect Strangers and they were pretty good, fast reads.
I just finished Certain Prey by John Sandford. thought I'd read all the "prey" books but I guess not.
Next up...Friday Night Knitting Club.

and I still have Gilead....a Pulitzer Prize winner.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Debunking Howard Zinn (Mary Grabar, 2019)

Grabar analyzes how Zinn's self-hating and self-flagellating form of American history has become so pervasive.
Good read so far.. especially for readers seeking to understand (& be equipped to counter) the current form of demoralizing, 'politically correct' American history.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:47 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I enjoyed that series a lot. I think there is only 1 weak book in the series, and it's really only weak in the final 30 pages. Good book with a bad climax.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:51 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Debunking Howard Zinn (Mary Grabar, 2019)

Grabar analyzes how Zinn's self-hating and self-flagellating form of American history has become so pervasive.
Good read so far.. especially for readers seeking to understand (& be equipped to counter) the current form of demoralizing, 'politically correct' American history.
Interesting. Please post a review when you're done. I'm curious.

Zinn definitely approached history with a left-wing (even Marxist) bent. And as usual with any author intent on proving his point of view, he cherry picked his facts. Definitely interesting reading, but hardly good history.

But I'm not sure that a book with a right-wing (even Federalist) bent is the best solution. That's simply trading one bias for another.

I prefer history books that take in all the facts without judgment or preaching.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:26 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
I finished up Alexander Hamilton (yay!). I did really like it and learned quite a bit, but it took me longer to get through it than I was hoping. I definitely recommend it, though. I realized a few years back that my knowledge of the Revolutionary War and the colonial time period was relatively weak. (And as a result, I had a harder time with Philbrick's book on the Battle of Yorktown than I should have -- I am thinking I will re-read it.) I'm much more interested in reading more about some of the other founding fathers now, so it was absolutely worthwhile.

My next book is How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker, for my book club. It's over 500 pages and looks fairly dense, so as a quick palate cleanser, I read a true crime narrative about Chris Watts, called The Perfect Father. I was a little disappointed, yet it was pretty much as I expected. It was typical of most true crime books, in that it was a very fast read, and it was compelling and I did enjoy reading it. But ultimately, it felt sensationalist and shallow. I had a lot of questions at the end, and I just didn't feel like the author did a great job delving into this family. At some points, he seems almost to blame the victim herself for being too "dominant" in the marriage. So, if you like true crime, or are following this case, it's probably worth a read, but only from the library or somehow getting it for free or very low cost. It isn't worth buying new in hardback.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:42 PM

560 posts, read 848,855 times
Halloween read - Something WIcked This Way Comes. Absolutely love Ray Bradbury so slipped it between books for a little holiday cheer.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:07 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Just started A Discovery of Witches. It should be light and fluffy enough to hold my interest.

Has anyone heard from, or anything regarding DawnMTL?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books