Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2020, 12:14 AM

84 posts, read 55,082 times

Advertisements

It occurred to me that I know next to nothing about the Bolshevik Revolution, so I'm currently reading A People's Tragedy, by Orlando Figes. It's over 900 pages, and thus a real wrist-bender, even in paperback.

I'm only about 150 pages in, but it's incredibly well-written, and nowhere near so ponderous to read as it is to hold while reading. And despite being totally new to the subject, I've yet to have a moment where I didn't understand what was going on because Figes assumed the reader would know more than they do. It's a place and time I knew almost nothing about, but he makes it so clear and vivid, I don't feel lost at all. In fact, he makes me want to read more about Russian history when I'm done with this one (someday), and read more of his books.

Highly recommended, so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 12:37 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Winterkill (Joe Pickett #3), by C.J. Box 2004.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:36 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Picket Fence View Post
It occurred to me that I know next to nothing about the Bolshevik Revolution, so I'm currently reading A People's Tragedy, by Orlando Figes. It's over 900 pages, and thus a real wrist-bender, even in paperback.

I'm only about 150 pages in, but it's incredibly well-written, and nowhere near so ponderous to read as it is to hold while reading. And despite being totally new to the subject, I've yet to have a moment where I didn't understand what was going on because Figes assumed the reader would know more than they do. It's a place and time I knew almost nothing about, but he makes it so clear and vivid, I don't feel lost at all. In fact, he makes me want to read more about Russian history when I'm done with this one (someday), and read more of his books.

I don't know when I will have it in me to tackle this (900 pages oh my. ...) but this is quite the recommendation so will add it to the ever growing list.

I just finished This Tender Land last night, and I give it 5 stars. I really loved it. The story telling, the writing, was superb. Usually although I am an avid reader, I get a bit confused with characters and their names but this one was so well done and I really was hooked. Not my usual genre or story line but this was great.

I have about 3 books available on kindle from the library all at once so not sure what will be next. I think I will start Olive Again.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Winterkill (Joe Pickett #3), by C.J. Box 2004.
put ^ that down for now to read Jack Reacher #25.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
put ^ that down for now to read Jack Reacher #25.
I bought that and was looking forward to reading it—but the plot and diaglogue are just so lame—
I stopped once and went back but couldn’t get over how it was so heavy handed
Maybe Child’s brother wrote most of it Since his name is on the cover but I think it is just a sad end to a great series...
Maybe Child is busy with the new series
Very disappointed...

Old 10-31-2020, 08:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Started reading the series sent in Henry II’s reign about the “Mistress of the Art of Death”, by Ariana Franklin
A female doctor/forensic investigator raised by two Jewish doctors in Salerno is sent to England to discover who is murdering children in Cambridge and blaming the Jews—taken from historical fact transposed into historical fiction
While the responsible party is pretty easy to anticipate the description of the way of life and attitudes of the people is engaging
Starting book 2 tonight

Old 11-01-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I bought that and was looking forward to reading it—but the plot and diaglogue are just so lame—
I stopped once and went back but couldn’t get over how it was so heavy handed...
I love it and read to the half-way point before putting it down yesterday. I may finish it today!

Old 11-01-2020, 02:04 AM

1,224 posts, read 723,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I stopped once and went back but couldn’t get over how it was so heavy handed
Maybe Child’s brother wrote most of it Since his name is on the cover but I think it is just a sad end to a great series...
Maybe Child is busy with the new series
Very disappointed...
Same here.... too 'formulaic', and the plot lines ( of the last couple of books ) are just not believable.
Reacher was born in 1960 ( apparently ) but he can still kick the crap out of 6 opponents half or a third of his age ?. Loved the character in the early books....not so much nowadays.
I'm 80% through this latest book, but I'm not enamoured with it....

Old 11-01-2020, 02:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Is the window closing?

The 2084 report : an oral history of the great warming / James Lawrence Powell, 1936-, c2011, Atria Books.

Subjects
Global warming -- Fiction.
Human beings -- Effect of climate on -- Fiction.

Notes
First edition published in 2011.

Summary
"This vivid, terrifying, and galvanizing novel reveals our future world after previous generations failed to halt climate change-perfect for fans of The Drowned World and World War Z. 2084: Global warming has proven worse than even the direst predictions scientists had made at the turn of the century. No country-and no one-has remained unscathed. Through interviews with scientists, political leaders, and citizens around the globe, this riveting oral history describes in graphic detail the irreversible effects the Great Warming has had on humankind and the planet. In short chapters about topics like sea level rise, drought, migration, war, and more, The 2084 Report brings global warming to life, revealing a new reality in which Rotterdam doesn't exist, Phoenix has no electricity, and Canada is part of the United States. From wars over limited resources to the en masse migrations of entire countries and the rising suicide rate, the characters describe other issues they are confronting in the world they share with the next two generations. Simultaneously fascinating and frightening, The 2084 Report will inspire you to start conversations and take action"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
224 pages ;

The author suggests (in the book - as a model that Sweden set, & France followed, & Japan tried to follow) that a crash program of switching to nuclear power generation might stave off the worse effects of global warming. But time is short, & there's still a reflex rejection of nuclear power plants. The clock is ticking ...

It's an interesting book, telegraphic - presented as a series of interviews with people who were on the frontlines as global warming spiraled out of control. It is not comforting reading.

But there may yet be hope.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Picket Fence View Post

What a coincidence that I'd see this thread and read your post. Just yesterday, I finished watching two videos on the Romanovs, the Last of the Czars, etc., and starting thinking that I know next to nothing about the Bolsheviks and need to read up on them. Thanks for this recommendation. 900 pages is a lot but well-written historical narratives are worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books