Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 01:09 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times

Advertisements

I will plug a favorite military SciFi series. Dorsai by Gordon R. Dickson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 02:12 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I'm slowly reading a 650 page bio of Mick Jagger. He never liked the name Mick, preferring Michael or Mike, but his agent insisted upon Mick. He never wanted to be a pop rock star, and preferred to be a Rhythm and Blues singer. He did organize a R&B group, but they were lucky to even get 10-20 people for a performance. He saw the Beatles rise to the skies, and his agent kept urging him to go mainstream where the money and fame was. He finally listened. One of his agents said: If this group is to become famous, Mick has got to go, he doesn't have the voice.

It's a miracle this group ever made it!

I'm only halfway through it, but I can see it coming, his dumping is drug-addled girlfriend Marianne Faithfull.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:44 AM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 5 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm slowly reading a 650 page bio of Mick Jagger. He never liked the name Mick, preferring Michael or Mike, but his agent insisted upon Mick. He never wanted to be a pop rock star, and preferred to be a Rhythm and Blues singer. He did organize a R&B group, but they were lucky to even get 10-20 people for a performance. He saw the Beatles rise to the skies, and his agent kept urging him to go mainstream where the money and fame was. He finally listened. One of his agents said: If this group is to become famous, Mick has got to go, he doesn't have the voice.

It's a miracle this group ever made it!

I'm only halfway through it, but I can see it coming, his dumping is drug-addled girlfriend Marianne Faithfull.
I read Mick Jagger by Philip Norman from February 21, 2015 -March 12, 2015. Is this the biography you're reading?

I started Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir by Janice Erlbaum. I think my 101st book of 2020 will be outrageously enthralling.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:35 AM

101 posts, read 38,181 times
Bloodline (Witch Cat Mystery #1) by Vicki Vass
https://goodreads.com/book/show/35018318-bloodline
Fleeing from the witch trials in Salem, Terra Rowan finds herself in modern day Asheville, North Carolina. A dark spirit from the past hunts the last witch of Salem. With the help of the ladies of the Biltmore Society, Asheville aristocrats with untapped powers and a crooked-legged fat orange cat named Pixel, Terra must discover the secret within the forest to preserve the bloodline. Combining elements from different cultures, Appalachian folklore, Celtic legends, Native American mysticism, Bloodline creates a new witch mythology while staying true to the realm of cozy mystery. Terra Rowan is a witch trapped between worlds and lost in time.
"Best Cozy Mystery I have read this year".
Karen Owen Mystery BloggerAuthor
"Vicki Vass takes me back to the first mysteries I ever read…Nancy Drew."
By Lisa Ks Book Reviews
"There were so many twists and turns that I was not able to figure out who did it until the end of the book. I like that because it makes me want to read faster to see what happens next"
Griperang's Bookmarks
A cross genre mix of historical fiction and paranormal mystery, Bloodline by Vicki Vass is the first book in her A Witch Cat Mystery series. Set in two different locations; Salem, Massachusetts during the witch trials of the early 1690; s and contemporary Ashville, North Carolina, Ms. Vass uses the local folklore of both locations to build her story. Well-developed characters, two interesting mysteries and a solid pace kept me turning the pages from start to finish.
While there are two separate mysteries, only one will be resolved by the end of the story. The secondary mystery will undoubtedly be something that is carried as an ongoing thread throughout the series. Ms. Vass does a good job dropping clues for the reader to gather and the story takes plenty of twists and turns. The story’s pace is fairly quick and Ms. Vass’s voice as an author is well established and easy to read.
Queen of All She Reads.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:29 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
I read Mick Jagger by Philip Norman from February 21, 2015 -March 12, 2015. Is this the biography you're reading?

I started Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir by Janice Erlbaum. I think my 101st book of 2020 will be outrageously enthralling.
Yes, this is the one! Very, very comprehensive! I'm now into the 3rd year of his marriage to Bianca!

Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times
I'd heard about Behold A Pale Horse since it was published thirty years ago. Written by a former Naval Intelligence officer with Top Secret clearance = Q.

I decided it was my duty to read it now, considering the events in the world this year. Scary sh1te, all true, so I dreaded it. I just read the Foreword today and it was so exciting that I am hooked.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I just finished The Red Notebook by Antoine Lourain. It is a slim little book (only 159 pages) that was translated to English from French. It wasn't quite as good as another book I read by his same author titled The President's Hat, but it was an easy, charming, quick read. A man finds a woman's purse on the street after she was the victim of a mugging. He uses the items that he finds in the purse to try to track her down. For a relatively brief book, there was a good bit of character development and though some might find it a little too much like a Hallmark movie, I enjoyed the lightness for a change.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Another bomb: Friends and Strangers by J Courtney Sullivan. Started out pretty good, then chapter after chapter things went downhill. Nothing Ever Happens in this book. It's 400 pages; I only got to p. 225 and gave up. Many others on Goodreads felt the same as I did, so there !!

Old 10-06-2020, 01:06 PM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well I thought I had posted before, but since I last posted, I finished Less . It was ok.
Next I have been working on Gentleman in Moscow and while I definitely can appreciate the writing (it's outstanding), I could have done with a bit shorter. I really enjoyed parts of it, and parts of it I had to push along. So again, I think it's a worthwhile read but I am not in the super fan camp.
I am going to try Whiskey in a Teacup and hope it's a nice light easy read. (not sure what will be after that).
Just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...eman-in-moscow

I agree with you Mayvenne, there was some outstanding writing, but was also not in the super fan camp, and I was disappointed in the ending. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

"Why is it that so many ghosts prefer to travel the halls of night? Ask the living and they will tell you that these spirits either have some unquenched desire or an unaddressed grievance that stirs them from their sleep and sends them out into the world in search of solace.

But the living are so self-centered.

Of course they would judge a spirit's nocturnal wanderings as the product of earthly memories. When, in fact, if these restless souls wanted to harrow the bustling avenues of noon, there is nothing to stop them from doing so.

No. If they wander the halls of night, it is not from a grievance with or envy of the living. Rather, it is because they have no desire to see the living at all. Any more than snakes hope to see gardeners, or foxes the hounds. They wander about at midnight because at that hour they can generally do so without being harried by the sound and fury of earthly emotions. After all those years of striving and struggling, of hoping and praying, of shouldering expectations, stomaching opinions, navigating decorum, and making conversation, what they seek, quite simply, is a little peace and quiet. At least, that is what the Count told himself as he drifted down the hall."

Old 10-06-2020, 09:33 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Going to finish this this time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books