Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

LFM-What kind of internet service do I need to download books on a kindle? Remember at my house I have no outside lines..so no phone, electric or cable lines. My internet is through Verizon wireless and I have a time limit of 5 GB each month.

On the road I can use wifi but not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Whoa! This book is exceptional. Answer Them Nothing: Bringing Down the Polygamous Empire of Warren Jeffs By D. Weyermann.

I know I mentioned it when I first started reading it this week and I have been very happy with it. The research is right on the money and the author is able to weave in the history of the LDS and FLDS without being boring. The personal stories of those who have escaped the FLDS and the folks who helped them are exciting, numbingly traumatic and good reading.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Whoa! This book is exceptional. Answer Them Nothing: Bringing Down the Polygamous Empire of Warren Jeffs By D. Weyermann.

I know I mentioned it when I first started reading it this week and I have been very happy with it. The research is right on the money and the author is able to weave in the history of the LDS and FLDS without being boring. The personal stories of those who have escaped the FLDS and the folks who helped them are exciting, numbingly traumatic and good reading.
Thanks for the report. I added it to my list

Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I couldn't get into The Healing -- either because I didn't have the stomach for slavery or because I wasn't in the mood for fiction -- so I started to read a memoir about having Asperger's, Look Me in the Eye. I'm not wholly invested in that one either, so I think that I'm "in a mood," where no book is going to win me over. Either it's a mood or because I just started feeling sick (a cold). Either way, it sucks.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm reading Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. My daughter read it in 4th grade and loved it so much she wanted me to buy a copy and read it. I've had it for several years but haven't read it til now. I'm pretty much out of other stuff and need to make a trip to the library or wander around on Paperback Swap.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Either it's a mood or because I just started feeling sick (a cold). Either way, it sucks.
Hot tea with lemon (and a little "kick" as Grampa used to say, if it suits you), and a long nap. Repeat as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm reading Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. My daughter read it in 4th grade and loved it so much she wanted me to buy a copy and read it.
High praise from a nine year old. Now that she's older, was she still pleased to see you reading it, or is it "ancient history"?

I am really getting into Larsson's "Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" but don't seem to have the concentration to just sit and read lately. Conflicting demands and desires have me going more ways that one. I also listened to the start of Steve Berry's "The Emperor's Tomb" yesterday before going to class and found it absorbing.

There's just this homework, job search, and stuff that keeps getting in the way!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM

65 posts, read 97,539 times
William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Hot tea with lemon (and a little "kick" as Grampa used to say, if it suits you), and a long nap. Repeat as necessary.

High praise from a nine year old. Now that she's older, was she still pleased to see you reading it, or is it "ancient history"?

I am really getting into Larsson's "Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" but don't seem to have the concentration to just sit and read lately. Conflicting demands and desires have me going more ways that one. I also listened to the start of Steve Berry's "The Emperor's Tomb" yesterday before going to class and found it absorbing.

There's just this homework, job search, and stuff that keeps getting in the way!
She's happy I'm reading it. But since she's 14 now and her main preoccupation is finding fault with everything I do, she criticized me for waiting so long. Deep sigh.

Hope your semester is over soon and you can concentrate on your reading. Or your job search!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
She's happy I'm reading it. But since she's 14 now and her main preoccupation is finding fault with everything I do, she criticized me for waiting so long. Deep sigh.

Hope your semester is over soon and you can concentrate on your reading. Or your job search!
My daughter was needing a new book so I gave her a copy of The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. I loved it when I read it years ago and she's enjoying it now, which is nice for both of us. My mother and I used to enjoy the same books.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
My daughter was needing a new book so I gave her a copy of The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. I loved it when I read it years ago and she's enjoying it now, which is nice for both of us. My mother and I used to enjoy the same books.
I downloaded "the Bean Trees" not too long ago, but Lord only knows when I will actually get to reading it. I hope she likes it. Perhaps she would like to join us here and share her reading likes, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books