Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Get OUT! I can't believe that I never asked you what your screen name meant. Or maybe I just assumed that it meant "sweetest lady who reads a heck of a lot."

Well, it means that, too........not. ahahahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
New York by Edward Rutherford

Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella. Total chick book, but I needed a light read after the Holocaust novel I just finished.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
You are all too funny. I just assumed Ketabcha was a name. Live and Learn.

And I am planning to read more by Sophie Kinsella, I did read the first one Confessions of a Shopaholic and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great meaningful literature it is not, but we sure do need some pleasant happy mindless stuff every once in a while. (and after a holocaust novel it's just the right remedy).

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
I must say I also thought that it was a real name like a last name . LOL ....well now onto the books the lost art of mixing and the bookstore of big little gap were awful . I loved ericas first book the school of essential ingredients but this one frankly it stank and so did the bookstore of big gap by wendy welch ...nope dont bother guys .

Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Just finished Kingsolver's "The Bean Trees." I can honestly say it is one of the first that I couldn't not read in a very long time. I was totally immersed in the story and its characters. Now I want to read more of her works.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,734 times
My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. This is a daily devotional book. Sometimes books like this seem to be very one-sided, but Oswald Chambers makes it easy to read between the lines and emerge with a spiritual truth. I'm surprised at how much I like this book.

Each day has a topic that makes me think about how I react, deny the motives for my actions, how much support there is in the world, and how can I be a better helper to people in my everyday life. He writes in such a way as to make me look at both sides of an issue. He also emphasizes how much God loves us and that it's important to return that love and appreciation back to God. And to return it to others as well.

Just started reading the book today, so more will be revealed. I really needed this fresh perspective!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Just finished Kingsolver's "The Bean Trees." I can honestly say it is one of the first that I couldn't not read in a very long time. I was totally immersed in the story and its characters. Now I want to read more of her works.
I love this book! Did you know it's the first book she (Barbara Kingsolver) wrote?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm suffering pronoun confusion about who is better--Curry or Alexie? I'm assuming you mean Alexie is better, but if Curry is that good, I'm definitely putting him on my list.
I got through about 5 pages of Alexie, and hated it. I probably shouldn't have made the comparison, unfair to Currie. "Currie" is the correct spelling, by the way, I got it wrong originally. I'm getting near the end of "Everything Matters", and about halfway through, it took a nosedive. Still decently well written, but no longer a story line that one can relate to.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I got through about 5 pages of Alexie, and hated it. I probably shouldn't have made the comparison, unfair to Currie. "Currie" is the correct spelling, by the way, I got it wrong originally. I'm getting near the end of "Everything Matters", and about halfway through, it took a nosedive. Still decently well written, but no longer a story line that one can relate to.
Well there you go--different strokes for different folks, I guess. I love most of Alexie's things I've read. I'll keep an eye out for Currie, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books