Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Did you read Thousand Splendid Suns? Talk about complex and devastating.... Very powerful.
Yes, I read it. Its again one of those books which are very thought-provoking. Often I found myself thinking about how women feel when they are deprived of love or forced into marriages in which they are miserable.
I loved the way the author has brought together love, war, peace, friendship, motherhood into one book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
Quote:
Did you read Thousand Splendid Suns? Talk about complex and devastating.... Very powerful.
The members of my book club mentioned it is excellent. I'll check it out. Per another post, I read House of Sand and Fog *and* saw the movie, but again, it's been a few years. If I recall, I preferred the book and found it more moving, more "emotional" versus "depressing".

Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
The members of my book club mentioned it is excellent. I'll check it out. Per another post, I read House of Sand and Fog *and* saw the movie, but again, it's been a few years. If I recall, I preferred the book and found it more moving, more "emotional" versus "depressing".
Many people I know preferred it to The Kite Runner. I really enjoyed them both - they are different stories though. I found the story to be both devastating and inspirational (how these women continue day to day).

I was impressed with Hosseini's ability to tell a story about women - especially in such an oppressive environment. I remember being similarly impressed with the author of Memoirs of a Geisha (it's been a long time, maybe the author is "Golden" or something similar?).

Old 12-15-2008, 05:17 PM

266 posts, read 547,887 times
I've got two books going at the same time - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (reading at slow pace and often re-reading certain bits ); and Alex & Me about Dr. Irene Pepperberg and the famous african grey named Alex. Just a few pages in and I'm already teary.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,918 times
Quote:
Many people I know preferred it to The Kite Runner. I really enjoyed them both - they are different stories though. I found the story to be both devastating and inspirational (how these women continue day to day).

I was impressed with Hosseini's ability to tell a story about women - especially in such an oppressive environment. I remember being similarly impressed with the author of Memoirs of a Geisha (it's been a long time, maybe the author is "Golden" or something similar?).
Yes, Memories of a Geisha is another very thought provoking book by Golden Novel. You know, sometimes I complain that I have to get up at 5 in the morning to go to work, long commute etc etc etc...but these are the kinds of books which humble me saying that I am far more fortunate than many women.

Another book which moved me to tears was, "Dirty Picture" by Anuradha Marwah Roy. Its a book about 2 beautiful sisters whose beauty becomes their enemy.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
1. One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich
2. The Gulag Archipelago
3. The Tin Drum
4. The Jungle
5. Trainspotting (or anything by Irvine Welsh-it's hard to pick one!)

Old 12-20-2008, 02:09 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,973 times
In no particular order:

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2. The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
3. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit
4. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
5. The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry
6. Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlins
7. Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin
8, Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle
9. A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman
10. Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg

Old 12-20-2008, 02:12 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
1- Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee
2-War and Peace [in the original Russian]
3- Johnathan Livingston Seagull
4-Helter Skelter
5-For Whom The Bell Tolls
I'm smiling at seeing Helter Skelter on your list. I got ahold of my mom's copy when I was about twelve and read it secretly. When she found out, she acted like she really did not want me to read it but she let me anyway, God rest her soul. What I remember most was that it scared the fire out of me....LOL!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 AM

400 posts, read 794,909 times
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Confederates in the Attic - Tony Horwitz
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
All the President's Men - Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
Brighton Rock - Graham Greene

Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
I've just looked at my bookshelf and these favorites stand out. In no particular order:

The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged) Dumas - I like the Penguin Classics edition
Annals of the Former World - John McPhee
A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20s - Roger Kahn
Dutch: A Memoir of Ronald Reagan - Edmund Morris
The Conquest of Gaul - Julius Caesar - probably because I had to read this in Latin in high school
How the Irish Saved Civilization - Thomas Cahill
1776 - David McCullough
D-Day June 6, 1944: The Climatic Battle of World War II - Stephen Ambrose plus
Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany
Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History - Erik Larson
Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage - Sherry Sontag & Christopher Drew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books