Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 04:40 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times

Advertisements

My five

1. The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein
2. James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
3. Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan
4. Diary of Anne Frank
5. the Holy Bible (get something new every time I read it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 AM

396 posts, read 465,006 times
My five

1.'Return to the scene ' Patrick Quentin
2.'Deception point' Dan Brown
3.'Back spin ' Harlan Coben
4.'Angels and demons' Dan Brown
5.'Shawshank Redemption' Stephen King

Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
3 to start out with until my memory improves

Love in the Time of Cholera
Growing up in the Gorbals
Crime and Punishment

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Every time I log-in here, I see this thread, and have yet been able to come up with just 5, 10 or even 50 titles. There are so many good books I have read -- that have struck me as good on too many different levels to try to narrow down to five, the 'best.'

SO f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-i-n-g. But, I'm still trying.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
kari, I trust your judgement, so can you tell me of a romance novel that was done well. I just can't bring myself to pick one up because I got burned out on all that mushy gushy stuff when I was pretty young. I know that I'm probably missing out, thats why I asked your opinion. (Like I need another book to read.)
It's not all mushy gushy any more, but they are strong on happy ever afters. You'd be surprised how many so-called hard core romance writers write under different names in different genres. The primary requirement is that a story is both believable and provides what my old English teachers called 'a willing suspension of disbelief.' For me, it's a bonus if they also include quirky pets, but that's just a personal preference. Some of the best writers I know of are Elizabeth Lowell, Jayne Ann Krentz, Jennifer Crusie, Janet Evanovich, and a few others. They, as with all practicing artists, have increased in skill with the passing years, so their later works are for the most part better than their eariest. If you want some specific titles to try, let me know.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
If you want some specific titles to try, let me know.
Oops, I just realized you did ask for specific suggestions. Okay.

Elizabeth Lowell, The Wrong Hostage and Innocent as Sin. Those are a combination suspense/romance where the baddies get their just deserts, in a way. That's another thing I like, the good guys coming out on top and the bad guys not.

Jennifer Crusie's Faking It. It's a romance, but it's also funny and twisted on many levels.

Janet Evanovich wrote a lot of others besides the Stephanie Plum mysteries. My favorite of the others is Metro Girl. And there's a little schnauzer with an attitude in it.

Nora Roberts is pretty good, but she's written so many they kind of run together after awhile. The ones with a magic or paranormal twist are the better ones in general [my opinion, of course], of the rest my favorite is Carnal Innocence.

The biggest problem with romance writing, from a reader's perspective, is that when contracts are renewed, a really good series may be stopped in the middle because a publishing house may decide to change it's rules - so you have a cliff-hanger of a series with one or two books left to finish it, but they don't get written and published. Or the opposite holds to an excruciating degree. The original Wagons West series started out great, well-researched and well-written, but the company had a copyright on the name of the 'author' and they kept replacing the writers until the series deteriorated badly. It seemed like the later writers hadn't bothered or weren't allowed to read the earlier books, so they simply had no idea what they were supposed to be writing about.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Oops, I just realized you did ask for specific suggestions. Okay.

Elizabeth Lowell, The Wrong Hostage and Innocent as Sin. Those are a combination suspense/romance where the baddies get their just deserts, in a way. That's another thing I like, the good guys coming out on top and the bad guys not.

Jennifer Crusie's Faking It. It's a romance, but it's also funny and twisted on many levels.

Janet Evanovich wrote a lot of others besides the Stephanie Plum mysteries. My favorite of the others is Metro Girl. And there's a little schnauzer with an attitude in it.

Nora Roberts is pretty good, but she's written so many they kind of run together after awhile. The ones with a magic or paranormal twist are the better ones in general [my opinion, of course], of the rest my favorite is Carnal Innocence.

The biggest problem with romance writing, from a reader's perspective, is that when contracts are renewed, a really good series may be stopped in the middle because a publishing house may decide to change it's rules - so you have a cliff-hanger of a series with one or two books left to finish it, but they don't get written and published. Or the opposite holds to an excruciating degree. The original Wagons West series started out great, well-researched and well-written, but the company had a copyright on the name of the 'author' and they kept replacing the writers until the series deteriorated badly. It seemed like the later writers hadn't bothered or weren't allowed to read the earlier books, so they simply had no idea what they were supposed to be writing about.
Thank you karibear. I'll write these down and review them on Amazon. you are so knowledgeable about a lot of things! I especially like the name "Carnal Innocence". I like some spice.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Thank you karibear. I'll write these down and review them on Amazon. you are so knowledgeable about a lot of things! I especially like the name "Carnal Innocence". I like some spice.
You're welcome. My mother used to tell me I had a mind like a garbage can, things just sort of settled and mixed up in it, and no matter how hard one tried, it would never quite empty. As far as books go, though, I was a student library aide when I was in high school, and worked in several more. Now I belong to a bunch of writer's blogs and a few fan sites, so I get a pretty good idea of what's going on with who, in a limited way, and a fairly good behind the scenes look at the process and business of writing.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
My five

1. The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein
Wonderful book!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Agree, the "Giving Tree" is a wonderful book and one I just gifted my 3-year old grand-daughter.

And one that resonates in somewhat the same way is that children's book about the emergent butterflies--can't get my head around the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books