Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

I just located a used copy of the Wall on ebay..woohoo..ordered it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Glad to hear it.

You'll find this, The Wall, quite a different read than The Road-which I see was quite the downer for many and not reviewed favourably.

One of two things that came up in exploring The Wall is (Doris) Lessings' endorsement, and the writer's association with feminine literature. Certainly some of this will come up in the discussion.

I look forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I just located a used copy of the Wall on ebay..woohoo..ordered it

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
LOL, I was thinking that, too . I looked her up on Wikipedia and it said that the Wall was the only one of her works that was translated into English. It does seem strange...
Wikipedia! I hadn't thought about checking that source. Thanks, Katz. My children (the men) often send me information on a new interest of theirs and generally include a link to Wikipedia. What would we do without it?

It does have a nice entry for Marlen Haushofer.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Wikipedia! I hadn't thought about checking that source. Thanks, Katz. My children (the men) often send me information on a new interest of theirs and generally include a link to Wikipedia. What would we do without it?

It does have a nice entry for Marlen Haushofer.
Good to hear the Wikipedia entry about Marlon Haushofer is informative. I will check that out before reading the book.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
Well, I wasn't as informative as I would hope... I am really interested in finding out more about her, so I might buy the biography when I am in Germany (if it is available in paperback) , will let you know the gist of the book

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Glad to hear it.

You'll find this, The Wall, quite a different read than The Road-which I see was quite the downer for many and not reviewed favourably.

One of two things that came up in exploring The Wall is (Doris) Lessings' endorsement, and the writer's association with feminine literature. Certainly some of this will come up in the discussion.

I look forward to it.
I also discovered the Lessing endorsement in my search. I've finally finished my first Lessing book, The Cleft yesterday so am looking forward to making some comparisons toThe Wall When I decided to read the book, I didn't know Lessing was associated with feminist literature either. Will share my thoughts on the Cleft thread later.

Last edited by tigerlily; 03-24-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: duplication

Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM

gemkeeper and BlueWillowPlate have chatted by DM, and they are proposing a slightly shorter turn-around time for the Suite Francaise discussion. Balancing the time between discussions is still part of the group's learning curve.

Mark your calendars for that discussion for April 10.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 PM

I look forward to your thoughts as mine are quickly fading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Will share my thoughts on the Cleft thread later.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
gemkeeper and BlueWillowPlate have chatted by DM, and they are proposing a slightly shorter turn-around time for the Suite Francaise discussion. Balancing the time between discussions is still part of the group's learning curve.

Mark your calendars for that discussion for April 10.
My calendar is marked! Thanks Ontheroad for the update.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
My copy of The Wall just arrived from Symposium. The condition is excellent. Looks like a brand new book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books