Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Have you ever read a book that blew your mind? It doesn't have to be the best book you've ever read, or your most favorite, just a book that really made you say "wow" or maybe made you look at things in a new way.

For example, I've read two in the last six months that really blew me away: Brave New World and All Quiet on the Western Front. They got me for different reasons, Brave New World because I felt that Huxley was on to something, and All Quiet on the Western Front because it really made the emotions of the fight come to me. Wow. And thanks!
The book that really blew my mind was Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss. It's about past lives and how they can effect this life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
The Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb. A truly frightening novel.
During the great depression era a homicidal felon discovers two children may know the whereabouts of money taken from a bank robbery. After killing their mother he pursues the children through the forests and down the Ohio River between West Virginia and Ohio for several weeks, until the tables are turned....
This book blew my mind.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:26 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb. A truly frightening novel.
During the great depression era a homicidal felon discovers two children may know the whereabouts of money taken from a bank robbery. After killing their mother he pursues the children through the forests and down the Ohio River between West Virginia and Ohio for several weeks, until the tables are turned....
This book blew my mind.
I totally agree. That book scared the daylights out of me and will stay with me forever. The movie was just as scary,too.

I have never encountered a character that scared me as much as "The Preacher" did. He was pure evil.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
The book that really blew my mind was Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss. It's about past lives and how they can effect this life.
I've read that and another of his books "When love is forever"..both were excellent.

If you liked that one you should read Michael Newtons "Journey of Souls" books.

He has found that not only can people be regressed to their past lives, but they can also be regressed to their time in the spiritual world between lives. AWESOME books.

I would love to be regressed in this way, but unfortunately I can't afford it

Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I've read that and another of his books "When love is forever"..both were excellent.

If you liked that one you should read Michael Newtons "Journey of Souls" books.

He has found that not only can people be regressed to their past lives, but they can also be regressed to their time in the spiritual world between lives. AWESOME books.

I would love to be regressed in this way, but unfortunately I can't afford it
What do you do between lives? I don't want to go through life again. This one wore me out!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
What do you do between lives? I don't want to go through life again. This one wore me out!
Oh believe me..I totally agree. After this I doubt very much that I would want to come back.

What we do between lives. Basically learn, spend time with loved ones who have gone before (I can't wait to see my son again!), and spend life in paradise...which as I understand it is a mirror image of life on earth, but without corruption, pollution, crime, money obsessions and so on. Only the beauty and happiness.

I'm not the most religious person in the world, but this sounds like Heaven to me.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,582 times
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini really had an affect on me. A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author was just as good. Both really changed my outlook about the people in that part of the world.

As others have posted, I was also greatly influenced by The Autobiography of Malcom X. Read that when I was about 12 or so (many, many moons ago) and just about the time I was becoming aware of the world outside my little part of it.

But my favorite book of all time and one that blows me away everytime I read it is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,462 times
Wilhelm Reich = "Listen, Little Man!"

Listen, Little Man!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,413 times
Many Lives and The Night of the Hunter have both been recommended to me more than a few times. I need to read those books.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Lots. Leaving the classics aside, leaving the poets aside, The Kite Runner comes to mind, as does Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards, and Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. The Passage by Justin Cronin blew me away. It was a gripping story. In the Fall and Lost Nation by Jeffrey Lent both blew me away. Pasadena by David Ebershoff.

If I looked at my bookshelves, I am sure I would find many more. I think the problem is that although there are many good books, it seems that you have to read a dozen or more so-so books for every one that really grips you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books