Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 05:52 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,589 times

Advertisements

Ok - I am stuck, cant decide which hotel to stay in.

Hotel Commonwealth near Fenway Park - about $25 more per night. No pool, which may be a negative. Location looks good, though. There are no baseball games during the time we'll be there, but we do plan on taking a tour of the stadium. Is it easy to walk to things from this area? How is the public transportation? What about places to eat?

Radisson that is on Stuart St, in the Theater District. Its a little cheaper & it seems to have larger rooms & a pool. Location looks more isolated. Heard that there are lots of transportation options, though. Many places within walking distance to eat?

It will be my teenage son and myself (mom). I want a safe area, one where we can walk around without worrying too much. I also want an area that is near things, so we can get to the all the sights easily. We'll only have two full days and two half days to see the city. We will have a car but dont plan on using it.

This is our first trip to Boston (actually to the east coast). I want it to be the best trip it possibly can be - so please give me your opinions of these hotels. If you have not stayed at them, thats fine, give me your opinion of the areas they are in, how the hotel looks from outside, etc.

One last question - I will need a place to do some laundry - where do you suggest?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:30 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Well, I can't tell you much about the actual hotels, but I know about the locations. I actually had friends that went to BU and it's really close to Myles Hall, one of their dorms. You're really close to Kenmore, so if you want you could take the Green Line into Park St./the Red line which can give you fairly easy access into Cambridge. Don't bother taking the Green line through the BU stops since it would be faster to walk.

You're also very close (less than 5 minutes) to Newbury St. (lots of expensive shops) and Fenway Park, which you were planning on touring.

The Radisson on Boylston st. is next to the Common and the Public Gardens. If you need to get toward the Fenway you can probably get to the Boylston stop and ride the green line out.

You're not going to get mugged or whatever in either area, and since there are no games the weekend you're going apparently, you won't have to deal with drunk annoying Sox fans in the Lansdowne area. Both hotels are maybe 10 minutes away from each other as far as walking distance.

Boston's a pretty small city, you're not going to have any real problems getting between different locations via either your feet or the T.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM

414 posts, read 2,281,178 times
Fenway is going to be a more rowdy....

Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 PM

23 posts, read 172,696 times
Both hotels are near lots of things and easy to get to and from, but the Radisson is probably closer to more things, being a little more central. (I work just around the corner from it). The Commonwealth is newer, so it's possible the rooms might be nicer (I haven't been inside either of them). The Commonwealth has nicer shops in its arcade. The Radisson is closer to Chinatown (good restaurants), Park Plaza (restaurants), and the main part of Back Bay (lots of restaurants) while the Commonwealth is west of Back Bay. The Commonwealth is a little closer to the Green Line (at Kenmore) but the Radisson isn't very far from it, either. And it will be closer to downtown things, the North End (Italian food, Old North Church), the Red Line to Cambridge, and the Harbor, etc. It may boil down to how you want to spend your time and what's closer to each hotel - but as people have said, neither one is very far from anything. The Radisson is built above a parking garage; I'm not sure what the Commonwealth's parking situation is. It's probably not cheap either place. Friends of mine stayed at the Radisson a couple of years ago (well, maybe 5 years, now) and had no complaints.

As for laundry, I would just ask at whatever hotel you decide to stay in.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:33 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Default Absolutely the Radisson!

Hopefully you made your decision and it's the Radisson Hotel in the Theater District?

The rooms have recently been renovated and the key is to get a higher floor when you check in for the Boston views AND one of the updated stunning rooms. It's in an ideal location for getting to SO many attractions all around Boston. The building itself on the outside is just another building, it's nothing to write home about, but walk in to the rooms? You'll be blown away. They're incredibly impeccable and quite funky. A really good friend of ours stayed there over a long weekend and we couldn't believe how chic the room was. The lobby and the front desk area is drab, but wait till you see the rooms, they're awesome. You'll only be a 15 minute walk about 4 blocks to Copley Place & the Pru Shops from this Hotel. 1 Block to the Boston Common and Charles Street as well as Beacon Hill and the MBTA ("T") stations. Legal's Seafood is right across the street from this hotel as well as Maggiano's Little Italy which is a big hit and adopted from Chicago by all of us Bostonian's that love Italian food. It's one restaurant that you should try to go to with your son, he'd love it there. We brought my nieces there when they were younger and now to this day they go with their boyfriends whenever they're in Boston. It's a wonderful gem that you'll have right across the street from this Radisson Hotel.

We just found out recently that Boston's "Hard Rock Cafe" located not too far from Copley Square area and in the Theater District is MOVING to the Fanueil Hall area of Boston. It's reopening it's new doors on July 2nd evidently. So you might want to remember when you're in the Fanueil Hall area checking out places to go? Look for this one because it'll probably be better than it was for the last 18 years and I'm sure for the 4th they'll have a grand opening bash most likely. It's going to be located at 22-24 Clinton Street and from what we're hearing it's going to be quite the place. Just give them a call if you end up really wanting to check this new one out. 617 424-ROCK.

You should remember to do the Duck Tour. Go to this site; Boston Duck Tours to see all about it. Your concierge at the Hotel will be great having all types of suggestions for you I'm sure. Boston is a walkable City, you can cut from your Hotel over through the Public Gardens to get to the Swan Boats, from there to Charles Street and Beacon Hill or walk all the way down Newbury Street to get to Copley Place and the Pru Shops. You'll see the Westin Hotel at Copley Place and there's an escalator to bring you right up to the shops. You can walk from Copley Place over through the Sky Walk to the Pru shops. It's ideal for your sons age. They have a Cheesecake Factory there, a Bertucci's and another Legal Seafoods over there too. SO many places for lunch or dinner. SO many neat shops to explore.

I think one place you could try to go to with him is the Museum of Science on the Charles River and the MIT Museum is neat too. Check out Harvard Square while you're at it. Take the MBTA RED Line over to Harvard Square. You're going to be very busy, there's SO much to do and see. The USS Constitution & their Museum is FREE, so while you're on the Freedom Trail, remember that! You can stop and take a little tour of Old Ironsides while you're in the Navy Yard, then walk up to the Bunker Hill Monument, there's a new Museum that opened a few weeks ago there, it's awesome. Ask any one where it is and they'll direct you to it, it's called the "Bunker Hill Museum" and it's another FREE place to check out. Look for it! It's pretty interesting. It's right at the top of Monument Avenue directly across from the very front of the Bunker Hill Monument, you can't miss it, when you see Col. Warren Prescott's statue, it's the street facing that statue.

Try to get to the Warren Tavern afterwards, they have a great menu for lunch. It's where George Washington stopped for a pint (or two). It's actually a restaurant pub, you can have underage kids there because they have a really good menu. Go to their site to see what I mean about it, I know your son will be fascinated with it when he sees it I bet:

Warren Tavern Charlestown MA, Oldest Tavern in Massachusetts

Also I wanted to make sure you knew there's a laundromat located at 39 Charles Street at the foot of Beacon Hill called Bubbles Inc., there's also one at 9 Appleton Street, I think that might be in the South End? Then 256 North Street there's one and I know that's in the North End. There's a lot of laundromats throughout the City, BUT I think these might be the closest from the Radisson Hotel IF that's where you end up staying. I'm sure there's a few up around the Fenway area; IF you end up staying at the Hotel Commonwealth.

Good luck and have a WONDERFUL time!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,589 times
Wow - thanks you guys..

I did choose the Radisson

Now I feel even better about that decision. I cant wait to get there and check everything out. We'll be running from place to place to see as much as we can in our short trip .. Its about 5.5 hour flight home, so we can rest then

Thanks again! If you think of any other 'cant miss' things, please post.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Well I know the Boston Movie Tours dot net is extremely popular these days. They bring you to where they filmed a lot of the good movies that were done in Boston & your part of the country! They bring you to Southie to see the L Street Tavern where some of "Good Will Hunting" was filmed. They go by this "Miller's Market" at K&7th Street in Southie that was changed to the "Cottage Market" for the movie Mystic River. There's all kinds of places in downtown Boston where they bring you as well. We're hearing that it's well worth it.

Taking an afternoon and strolling over through Harvard Square might interest you and your son too may be? There's not a whole lot actually IN Harvard Square itself? You know, the same old usual shops and bistros that don't really jump out at you because they're all over the place now, if you know what I mean, BUT I'll tell you what's incredible, it's walking through the grounds of Harvard University itself. It's really something to see and quite nice actually. I always thought it was really beautiful behind those tall gates! If you're in to Art at all? There's really some incredible galleries all through Harvard University in their Museums. They're widely acclaimed for the quality of their extensive collections too, which includes European and North American paintings, prints, and photography (at the Fogg Museum); ancient, Asian, Islamic, and Indian arts (at the Sackler Museum); and German Expressionist painting (at the Busch-Reisinger Museum).

Harvard University Art Museums
Busch-Reisinger Museum
Fogg Art Museum
Sackler Museum
Straus Center for Conservation

ONLINE EXHIBITION
"Extra Ordinary Every Day" This installation of Bauhaus objects examines the intersection of fine art and useful things by means of visual analogies.

Harvard Museum of Natural History
The HMNH is a public museum associated with several Harvard scientific research collections. It offers exhibitions, educational opportunities, family activities, and an international travel program.
Harvard Museum of Natural History
Botanical Museum (including Glass Flowers Exhibit)
Mineralogical & Geological Museum
Museum of Comparative Zoology

Arnold Arboretum which is located along the Jamaica Way in Jamaica Plain, MA. was designed by famed landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, the Arboretum is a research institute and living museum dedicated to the study of botany and horticulture.

Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments
A collection of over 15,000 artifacts dating from the 15th century to the present covering a broad range of scientific disciplines.

Fisher Museum at the Harvard Forest
Located in Petersham, Massachusetts, the Fisher Museum sponsors exhibits related to forest history and ecology.

Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
The Peabody Museum is devoted to the study of prehistoric and historic cultures. Its renowned collections are open to the public through exhibits and educational programs.

ONLINE EXHIBITION
The Ethnography of Lewis and Clark
The Peabody Museum holds several Native American objects believed to have been collected by explorers Lewis & Clark. These items provide valuable insight into the material culture of Native American tribal groups.

SO it's ALL up to you and what your interests are & your sons when it comes to your Boston visit. You could do Harvard Square & the University on an afternoon, it wouldn't take you long at all. I think the Freedom Trail starts right at the Boston Common area where Park Street is? You'll absolutely get a map of it all, I think they have audio tapes too if I'm not mistaken, but I think if you start exploring RIGHT there at that exact 1st spot along the Freedom Trail, you'll be golden starting it all right there. You'll absolutely get a feel for Old Boston and all the history we have here. There's SO much of it, yet in a few days, you'll be filled with SO much knowledge and insight with it all. I believe the Freedom Trail starts at the Granary Burial Ground at the corner of Tremont Street, it's where the remains are of John Hancock, Paul Revere, James Otis, Robert Treat Paine, and Samuel Adams. Also buried here are five victims of the Boston Massacre and near the center of the ground, a 25-foot-tall monument commemorates the tomb of Benjamin Franklin's parents. It's the very beginning of all the tale's you're going to hear about. Here's a great site with photos that are pretty great to see before you get here:

b-mass-state-house

Also, a LOT of shopping can be accomplished between all of the "intake of data & facts!" and don't forget our New England cuisine here too! Speaking of which? Try to remember to grab some Boston Creme Pie at the Parker House Omni Hotel for dessert, if you can, that's where it was invented and it's SO good from here. We used to run up on our lunch hour from the Financial District to get it every so often! If you get the chance, try to stroll down to the Barking Crab located at 88 Sleeper Street at Fort Point Channel near the Financial District. Go to their site to see what I mean about it, it's got great seafood here. It's actually better than it ever was all through the years, in fact? Every year it gets better here! THE BARKING CRAB OR if you can't get in the door here? If it's too crowded? See if you can get in to this place called The Daily Catch and NOT the one in the North End either! GO to this other one on Northern Avenue! It's JUST awesome here all year round, it doesn't matter when you go. It's located on Boston's Harborwalk at Two Northern Avenue. It's actually across from the Barking Crab in the Moakley Federal Courthouse complex. They're both wonderful restaurants, but just two different types of seafood places, that's all. Well, with the Daily Catch? They have sicilian-style seafood and pasta where they combine NE seafood prepared in authentic Sicilian recipes. SO simple and awesome is how you'd describe their menu here! You can really enjoy incredible harbor views as well from their dining room or their 3 season patio they have. I'd go here FIRST before the Barking Crab, IF you can get in the door! It's pretty popular and crowded all the time now, I guess it would depend on when you're visiting, you know what days of the week. From a Thursday to a Sunday all over Boston it's pretty crowded, but that's expected especially, this time of year. It's been just beautiful, weather wise.

If you don't do ANY of these Museums, see if you can get over to this ONE Museum, it's the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum directly behind the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston's Fenway area. It's absolutely the most fascinating Museum I've ever been to, in my entire life. This is the time of year to see it too, when you see the garden here you'll see what I mean. Go to this site: Gardner Museum dot org. It's absolutely breathtaking and SO fascinating to see. I think if you go to Fenway Park, you could try to get to THIS place, it's a hop, skip and a jump from Fenway Park. Not even a couple of blocks away. Traffic lights though, so be careful, hop in a taxi may be.

The JFK Library in Dorchester is quite a take too! You just take the MBTA subway to get to it. The Library and Museum is easily accessed by public transportation by taking the MBTA Rapid Transit, Red Line (any red line train) to the JFK/UMASS Station. There is a free shuttle bus to the Library every 20 minutes beginning at 8:00 a.m. and running until Museum closing. Remember to take the buses that are marked ‘JFK'.

This is what's at the Library right now. I don't know about your son being too crazy about seeing all of this exhibit below, but I thought I'd make sure you knew about it any way, okay, here it is....

Jacqueline Kennedy Entertains: The Art of the White House Dinner
April 12, 2007 – April 03, 2008

Other than the above, there's Boat Cruises out of Boston Harbor that you could take to see the Boston skyline from that angle and this time of year they're GREAT. Go to: Boston Harbor Cruises dot com to see all of the different types of cruises they offer.

This particular tour sounds GREAT, my nieces told me about it. It's touring the Charles River by Kayak or Canoe, then having a barbecue afterwards.

Here's the info & dates on it, if it doesn't show, it's paddle boston dot com:

Charles River Canoe & Kayak :: Boston Barbeque Tours

I think you're covered now. You're going to go back to California afterwards with your head spinning with all kinds of history facts buzzing around up there! BUT you know? At least you won't go home hungry!

Have a great time!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 06-28-2007 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: typo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston